AngryCorvair (Forum Supporter)
AngryCorvair (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
10/28/22 10:14 p.m.

So what's the easy button for putting a manual trans behind a 4.2L Atlas?

Mr_Asa
Mr_Asa GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
10/28/22 10:16 p.m.

In reply to AngryCorvair (Forum Supporter) :

Doesn't look like there's an easy button, unfortunately

Chopping and welding existing bellhousings might help?  Still would need a custom flywheel, though.

Stampie
Stampie GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
10/28/22 11:01 p.m.

It's been proven that a manual trans isn't the answer for the Challenge.  Manual valve body auto is the answer. 

AngryCorvair (Forum Supporter)
AngryCorvair (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
10/28/22 11:02 p.m.
Stampie said:

It's been proven that a manual trans isn't the answer for the Challenge.  Manual valve body auto is the answer. 

Too bad for me, I never learned how to drive automatic.

Stampie
Stampie GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
10/28/22 11:06 p.m.

In reply to AngryCorvair (Forum Supporter) :

You don't need to drive an auto if you have a manual valve body. 

Mr_Asa
Mr_Asa GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
10/28/22 11:12 p.m.

In reply to Stampie :

And if you get an arduino kit and a couple solenoids you can do paddle shifting!

Ranger50
Ranger50 MegaDork
10/28/22 11:12 p.m.

The 4LChitty can be easily made "manual VB" with appropriate electrical tweaks for almost no money.

RacetruckRon
RacetruckRon GRM+ Memberand Dork
10/28/22 11:32 p.m.
AngryCorvair (Forum Supporter) said:
Stampie said:

Too bad for me, I never learned how to drive automatic.

The lie detector determined that was a lie.

matthewmcl
matthewmcl Dork
10/28/22 11:32 p.m.

This thing

https://grassrootsmotorsports.com/forum/cars-sale/plymouth-horizon-its-weird-nmna-800/212484/page1/

You wouldn't even need a custom drive shaft, just stick the trans output straight to a diff.

gumby
gumby GRM+ Memberand Dork
10/29/22 9:55 a.m.

Many years ago I thought the 4200 was the path forward for one of my projects. I went as far as buying a short-run custom flywheel when a group buy popped up on the old 4200 forum. It sat on a shelf collecting dust while I realized I wasn't in a position to be one of the platform's pioneers, and those who were moved along without me. In the time gap between the original group buy guy no longer offering flywheels and one of the vendors picking them up, I sold mine off for more than I paid. 

If you can convince your friend who made the flywheel for MonZora to build you another custom unit, the rest can be parts binned. 

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
cZJsE9mmOQSTVaGD9haNznhCOtejdjLLub04bKgUR59Xm3nyP7sSlw79Sgn1s2jL