Tom Suddard
Tom Suddard GRM+ Memberand Publisher
3/14/24 11:21 a.m.

Hi all,

I was looking at registration numbers for the Grassroots Motorsports $2000 Challenge presented by Tire Rack, and it looks like only a handful of people are camping. 

Without more campers, it's not financially viable to pay the track security necessary for camping to be allowed at the facility. And I'm not willing to raise camping prices to Daytona levels just so the security guard can stare at a few motorhomes all night. Sorry, that just seems rude. 

If you're planning to camp, please register now. Otherwise, we're likely going to have to cancel/refund camping tickets and keep the track locked up in the evenings. 

You can register here: https://www.motorsportreg.com/events/grassroots-motorsports-2000-challenge-gainesville-raceway-409885

Thanks!

P.S.: Yes, I hear you sneakily thinking "How will you know if I hide in my trailer? I'll camp for free!" Yep, you're right, and I'm not paying private security forces to raid every trailer looking for people sleeping. But that approach doesn't mean free camping: It means no camping, and cops getting called by track personnel if they see anybody in the facility after gates are closed. We don't need to turn a profit camping, but it can't be a gigantic waste of time and money, either. 

pres589 (djronnebaum)
pres589 (djronnebaum) UltimaDork
3/14/24 1:17 p.m.

I don't know who's *trailering* but I have other things going on this year and won't make it to the Challenge.

Bigben
Bigben HalfDork
3/16/24 5:53 p.m.
Tom Suddard said:

P.S.: Yes, I hear you sneakily thinking "How will you know if I hide in my trailer? I'll camp for free!" Yep, you're right, and I'm not paying private security forces to raid every trailer looking for people sleeping. But that approach doesn't mean free camping: It means no camping, and cops getting called by track personnel if they see anybody in the facility after gates are closed. We don't need to turn a profit camping, but it can't be a gigantic waste of time and money, either. 

Why you gotta be such a fun sponge?

I haven't decided on accommodations yet but I have been considering camping.  What's your drop dead date for being able to make the business decision on camping? 

Tom Suddard
3/18/24 3:47 p.m.

We'll make the final decision two weeks before the event. 

Tom Suddard
3/20/24 10:06 a.m.

And bumping this up. 

Bigben
Bigben HalfDork
3/22/24 12:16 a.m.

I'm officially not camping. I couldn't convince the kids to camp, so I booked a hotel room. 

preach
preach GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
3/22/24 7:01 a.m.

In reply to Bigben :

Hard to camp out of a car with no trunk...

Bigben
Bigben HalfDork
3/27/24 1:02 a.m.
preach said:

In reply to Bigben :

Hard to camp out of a car with no trunk...

I fit 4 guys and our baseball gear in one once in high school.

Better yet I could tell you a story of couple of brothers on a cross country trip in a VW Super beetle loaded with enough parts and tools to build another bug, and their $0 lodging in Nebraska. 

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
X3OCuU9DTsCRjewRktPQknTnysTRa67HBXjGFJYZkDXXr1PSolbWHuve7XwM06ak