1 2 3
SVreX (Forum Supporter)
SVreX (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
8/28/20 3:12 p.m.

In reply to Tom Suddard :

I get it, and I totally understand why it may need to be that way this year. 

It sounds like a return to some of the frustrations some competitors felt before 2003 when pros were not available to everyone. 

I will support whatever decision you need to make. 

gumby (Forum Supporter)
gumby (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
8/28/20 3:14 p.m.

Having pros available really just shifts the focus of the competition. 
No-pros makes the Challenge more "racing a car built for $2000" instead of "building the fastest/quickest car under budget." How many grassroots level teams in the real world can afford a professional driver?

It is a minor distinction, and if pros were to go away permanently there is a door open for complaining about who recruited what ringer, etc. It would also be very difficult to police.

Having said all that, the rules will be whatever they are, and equally applied to all entrants. Therefore,  it makes exactly zero difference to my attendance either way.

Danny Shields (Forum Supporter)
Danny Shields (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
8/28/20 5:04 p.m.

In reply to Tom Suddard :

As a Pro Driver, I would be willing to serve in that role again, assuming the virus situation doesn't deteriorate by then. I would wear a head sock under my helmet, driving gloves, and would wipe down the steering wheel, shifter, belts and gloves with antibacterial wipes whenever I get in a vehicle. I would require all windows (and convertible tops) down, and no passengers. I would expect that all attendees would be wearing masks and maintaining social distancing. 

In my mind, the banquet and breakfast inside the hotel would probably present more COVID risk than the outdoor events. 

Robbie (Forum Supporter)
Robbie (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
8/28/20 8:15 p.m.

I'd be really bummed about no pros.

The challenge is one of the only "builder" competitions around. And I really do love that aspect. Driver competitions are much more common and close to home.

alfadriver (Forum Supporter)
alfadriver (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
8/29/20 8:28 p.m.

Would have great year to not have stopped racing.  (Picture Lloyd Bridges in "Airplane")

(Even if we were racing, we are being super careful, and probably would have avoided the trip down.  Not because we can't keep safe at the event- it's the part in between here and there...)

For those of you who are not autocrossers...

1- Walk the course over and over again until you can drive it with your eyes closed.  Then work on choosing a line- pick the handful of the most important cones to stitch together.

2- eyes up.  Look where you want to go.  

You WILL HAVE FUN.  This is a game, afterall.

admc58
admc58 Reader
8/29/20 9:18 p.m.

Pro Driver input. 

I am still planning on being there. I have a rocking good mask with 99.97% filtration and a box of nytril gloves. I'm not worried about getting the Cov while driving something.  

I may look like a Top-Fuel driver.... but this is the most fun event of the year for me. I love supporting you all and feel honored to get to drive anything you ask me to. 

Alan McCrispin

barefootskater
barefootskater UltraDork
8/30/20 12:20 p.m.

I'm not sure I'd use a pro were they available. Sure, it'd make for a better time for my creation, but I'm not gonna be upset if I don't set the best possible time my car is capable of. I'm planning to be there and get as much seat time as possible. 

Besides, I doubt anyone will want to drive this thing after seeing it up close. 

See y'all there. I'll be the slow guy. 

nickcheremsak
nickcheremsak New Reader
8/30/20 7:28 p.m.

Yes, I was planning on using one of the professional drivers this year despite Covid 19.

And no, not having professional drivers would not change my plans on attending. I am sure I could get someone to drive for me; should not be that hard to do. I like being a car owner; not a race car diver; far less stress. 

racerdave600
racerdave600 UltraDork
8/31/20 1:55 p.m.

In reply to admc58 :

And Alan has actually at one point owned his own cars!  cheeky

spacecadet (Forum Supporter)
spacecadet (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
8/31/20 5:08 p.m.

I'm not as good as the pros who got tapped in prior years. But I'm currently looking at the logistics to fly to Gainesville. I would totally just stand in grid and and wear a helmet and gloves and drive anything offered to me if someone asked. 

admc58
admc58 Reader
8/31/20 10:20 p.m.

In reply to barefootskater :

I've yet to turn one down... :) 

barefootskater
barefootskater UltraDork
9/1/20 10:57 a.m.

In reply to admc58 :

I'll let anyone drive my car. Just have to sign a tetanus waiver first wink

caSSino
caSSino None
9/1/20 1:22 p.m.

Another Pro driver checking in. Last year was my first opportunity to attend the challenge and am hopeful to do the same this year. If we are allowed it will be my intent to have gloves and a mask with me to limit exposure as much as possible. Fully understand from an event operations perspective if it isn't possible this year.

barefootskater said:

Besides, I doubt anyone will want to drive this thing after seeing it up close. 

You'd be surprised how much of our brain power is tied up in our driving, sometimes doesn't leave much excess for risk calculation.

Stampie (FS)
Stampie (FS) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
9/1/20 1:30 p.m.

In reply to caSSino :

Sorry if I didn't catch your name but are you the bearded wonder pro driver?  Just want to point out that my team would win any beard contest held.  Well except for Lil Stampie cause he's 12.

davbro
davbro New Reader
9/1/20 1:52 p.m.

My vote is for pro drivers...I liked "the bearded wonder"laugh

Crazier
Crazier Reader
9/3/20 7:20 p.m.

So. I have really been pushing to get this thing done and make it there (finally) this year.

To be honest, I am building to be competitive in auto X and I dont think I have even a small chance of driving it anywhere close to its potential.

wheels777
wheels777 UltraDork
9/3/20 11:37 p.m.

We tow nearly 1000 miles to compete in, not just attend, the event. I can hang out with friends locally. I can drag race locally. I can auto-x locally. It would suck to tow that far and not be competitive. It would suck to have a banquet that is not attended and/or full of restrictions. 

I really hope things change before October. We spend over $2K in entry, fuel and hotels because this is such a fun event (our favorite of the year). 

At what point is the event so compromised and awkward that those who attend don't come back?  

JoeyM
JoeyM Mod Squad
9/4/20 12:11 a.m.
wheels777 said:

We tow nearly 1000 miles to compete in, not just attend, the event. 

(...)

We spend over $2K in entry, fuel and hotels because this is such a fun event (our favorite of the year). 

This is tangential to the discussion, but I want to add that I really like seeing the Nelson's  compete.  They do things with cars that I used to think were impossible

Robbie (Forum Supporter)
9/4/20 9:04 a.m.

The banquet is actually a sticking point for me. What about tying to do it outside? Maybe at the pavilion at the race track? Pool deck at the hotel?

I'd actually be surprised if the hotel doesn't already have some sort of replacement outdoor tent-like setup for it's banquet hall. 

Patrick (Forum Supporter)
Patrick (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
9/4/20 11:29 a.m.

At what point do enough people back out or say no thanks and enough stuff gets altered or cancelled that you just say see you next year?  The challenge would suck with 20 cars.  

I'm somewhere between the nelsons and the casual "i'm here to hang out" guys, I want to be competitive but also learning to make myself have fun while doing it.  This year just doesn't sound fun.  

Tom Suddard
Tom Suddard GRM+ Memberand Director of Marketing & Digital Assets
9/4/20 12:09 p.m.

The Challenge is a 20-year tradition, and it's going to happen no matter what. 

JoeyM
JoeyM Mod Squad
9/4/20 11:50 p.m.
Stampie (FS) said:

In reply to frenchyd :

Why would I want to reduce my reliability with Jaguar parts?

He didn't say he used a lucas electrical system wink

caSSino
caSSino New Reader
9/6/20 10:07 p.m.
Stampie (FS) said:

In reply to caSSino :

Sorry if I didn't catch your name but are you the bearded wonder pro driver?  Just want to point out that my team would win any beard contest held.  Well except for Lil Stampie cause he's 12.

davbro said:

My vote is for pro drivers...I liked "the bearded wonder"laugh

Haha, yeah I was the most beardly of the pro drivers there last year. I appreciate the moniker, Covid has only allowed me to grow it out more (somewhat to the girlfriends passive frustration).

Robbie (Forum Supporter)
9/8/20 12:43 p.m.

Sooooo.... 

It looks like a "No Pro" decision has been made. And also pro's may be barred from attending by the 'no spectator' rules. So I'm asking for some clarification:

Does this mean I should be scrambling to get a pro driver onto my team? Personally I think that's a little uncool but I'm not sure how/if to police this. 

Tom Suddard
Tom Suddard GRM+ Memberand Director of Marketing & Digital Assets
9/8/20 1:01 p.m.

That's correct. Pro drivers will not be provided, and spectators are not allowed. However, you're welcome to have whatever team members you'd like. And drivers may drive any car at the event. 

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
avff9tzVjjZQqgU2U0J10omuq6mRfoLRCxcEcqYJjFp71tTYB3cw3V6IqROkLCnh