Dented
Dented New Reader
3/13/13 7:50 a.m.

Not mine, just thought it was unusual.

http://www.speedsportlife.com/wp-content/2010/02/camber.jpg

N Sperlo
N Sperlo UltimaDork
3/13/13 8:10 a.m.

Excess camber, victory pipes, and cartoonish body work, please go away.

Jerry
Jerry Reader
3/13/13 8:13 a.m.

Needs eyes on the windshield.

foxtrapper
foxtrapper PowerDork
3/13/13 8:30 a.m.

Need to get this guy together with the chucky cheese Toyota guy. Just imagine what the two of them could come up with.

George Barris would be proud.

Matt B
Matt B Dork
3/13/13 8:58 a.m.

It's a bosozoku style car from Japan. Being over-the-top and tasteless is kind of the point.

Personally, I find them hilarious and entertaining.

RossD
RossD UberDork
3/13/13 9:07 a.m.

I hope they trailered it there. The wheels/tires are one thing, but they can't be able to see out of that thing. What if a kid is on a bike in a cross walk, they'd never see them.

SCARRMRCC
SCARRMRCC Reader
3/13/13 9:13 a.m.

so it is for sale? are you selling it?

N Sperlo
N Sperlo UltimaDork
3/13/13 9:15 a.m.
Matt B wrote: It's a bosozoku style car from Japan. Being over-the-top and tasteless is kind of the point. Personally, I find them hilarious and entertaining.

We all feel bad for you for knowing that.

Adrian_Thompson
Adrian_Thompson UltraDork
3/13/13 9:15 a.m.

I can't view the link, can some one hotlink a pic please?

wbjones
wbjones UberDork
3/13/13 9:19 a.m.

3 posts above ^^^

Matt B
Matt B Dork
3/13/13 9:24 a.m.
N Sperlo wrote:
Matt B wrote: It's a bosozoku style car from Japan. Being over-the-top and tasteless is kind of the point. Personally, I find them hilarious and entertaining.
We all feel bad for you for knowing that.

Hehe - thanks for the consolation!

Seriously though, is this anything new to you guys? This thread feels like the equivalent of complaining about those pesky raver kids and their big pants.

foxtrapper
foxtrapper PowerDork
3/13/13 9:30 a.m.

Learned something new today, thanks!

Worrisome how much of that style reminds me of the 1970's....

cutter67
cutter67 HalfDork
3/13/13 9:36 a.m.

here you go Fox. i was in Japan a couple years ago you have to see them in real life to really enjoy them

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bQptfdSCdhs

mndsm
mndsm PowerDork
3/13/13 9:39 a.m.

I like em. It's clearly something that while a trend, the trend is to be as bad as possible. They're not taking themselves seriously in the least.

ransom
ransom GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
3/13/13 9:40 a.m.

Seems like the bosozoku stuff comes up here with some regularity.

As far as I'm concerned, that's way to much time, effort, and money for a rolling joke, but to each their own. That thing's gotta be horrible to drive. At least unlike the average stancemobile, it's not playing at looking like a race car; there's no question that it's an absurd and entirely aesthetic exercise.

It made me smile when I heard (though I have not confirmed) that in Japan they have a small window each year where they effectively lift the restrictions which would make those things utterly illegal on the street and let them have a little festival. I may be remembering that wrong, but I think that was the gist...

Jerry
Jerry Reader
3/13/13 12:03 p.m.

I thought maybe it got dropped from a high elevation at first. Let's see them open the back doors. ...and get off my lawn you damn kids.

Matt B
Matt B Dork
3/13/13 12:43 p.m.
Jerry wrote: I thought maybe it got dropped from a high elevation at first...

Ha! YES!

The term itself apparently has roots in also-weirdly-styled custom bikes built by young-dude gangs going all the way back to the 50's. The story goes these gangs like to fight quite a bit with pipes, baseball bats, and yep... wooden swords (of course).

This guy's sword doesn't look like wood though (cue the jokes).

If you don't dig it, that's cool. There's a simple answer: Japan is weird.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
P8HHAnITqIXSQZqAJg6H4sXMoFEHowmy8TKnDZOj2aF9QGwGlFmoqVBOu5PfYgjH