t25torx
t25torx Reader
2/25/14 11:40 a.m.

http://tampa.craigslist.org/hil/cto/4342712810.html

I didn't know they had a factory turbo setup on those.

Klayfish
Klayfish SuperDork
2/25/14 2:21 p.m.

They did, but this isn't one. The Sprint was the later part of the 80's. It became the Metro sometime around '90 IIRC. I'm pretty sure the turbo was only offered on the Sprint.

Bobzilla
Bobzilla PowerDork
2/25/14 2:27 p.m.

88 was the last year of the turbo-3. 89 it switched to the Geo Metro (instead of Chevrolet Sprint) with a TBI 3-cyl.

Now, IIRC the Canuck's got a Pontiac version called the Firefly and they WERE available with a 3-cyl turbo option.

mndsm
mndsm MegaDork
2/25/14 2:47 p.m.

I thought the swift gti was one too.

Bobzilla
Bobzilla PowerDork
2/25/14 2:52 p.m.
mndsm wrote: I thought the swift gti was one too.

Nope. All the 89-94 GT/GTi were G13B DOHC 4-bangers. The first gen swift GT (that the US never got) may have been the turbo-3. But still, that would be on the earlier platform and NOT the one in the ad.

Zomby Woof
Zomby Woof PowerDork
2/25/14 4:30 p.m.

Nope. GT was never turbo.

87/88 was the Sprint T3 in the US, Firefly/Sprint/Forsa T3 in Canada. The Forsa was available in the US, but not sure if it was available with turbo. The Forsa T3 was basically a Swift GT with T3 motor instead of the DOHC 1.3. Much nicer than the regular Sprint/Firefly turbo.

89-91 the Firefly and Sprint were available as T3 in Canada as the same body style in the ad. No factory turbo cars after that.

The car in the ad (Not add) is what appears to be a fairly well done conversion with the earlier Mk1 (Mark 1) T3 motor. These were the better motors due to their superior cylinder head design, and available performance camshaft options. That car also has better quality seats, possibly from an Esteem. If it's what it looks like and runs well, that's a great deal. You could be running low 15's with a day's work, and easily get better than 40 MPG.

Cotton
Cotton SuperDork
2/25/14 4:47 p.m.

It has a trailer hitch! I want to see what they were towing...

sethmeister4
sethmeister4 Dork
2/26/14 12:38 a.m.

That thing is super cool...I would rock the mess out of it!

Bobzilla
Bobzilla PowerDork
2/26/14 7:26 a.m.
Zomby Woof wrote: Nope. GT was never turbo. 87/88 was the Sprint T3 in the US, Firefly/Sprint/Forsa T3 in Canada. The Forsa was available in the US, but not sure if it was available with turbo. The Forsa T3 was basically a Swift GT with T3 motor instead of the DOHC 1.3. Much nicer than the regular Sprint/Firefly turbo. 89-91 the Firefly and Sprint were available as T3 in Canada as the same body style in the ad. No factory turbo cars after that. The car in the ad (Not add) is what appears to be a fairly well done conversion with the earlier Mk1 (Mark 1) T3 motor. These were the better motors due to their superior cylinder head design, and available performance camshaft options. That car also has better quality seats, possibly from an Esteem. If it's what it looks like and runs well, that's a great deal. You could be running low 15's with a day's work, and easily get better than 40 MPG.

Woohoo. I haven't forgotten all my useless swift/metro knowledge.

Gearheadotaku
Gearheadotaku GRM+ Memberand UberDork
2/26/14 12:16 p.m.

so needs to be brought to the challenge.

GM did play with a Metro Turbo concept.

http://images.businessweek.com/ss/09/01/0108_gm_auction/14.htm

Zomby Woof
Zomby Woof PowerDork
2/26/14 1:27 p.m.

That's just a Sprint/Firefly turbo with the badges off.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
ozadAbUCvx09NTAZnbK9InExjAc8M9o9lQrOM9UUZiVEEGfbhXD2ZP4PVKGAip43