1 ... 6 7 8 9 10 ... 74
Chadeux
Chadeux Dork
8/11/17 12:31 p.m.
oldopelguy wrote: I'm just worried about giving it a push off the trailer and with no brakes how far it's going to roll.

Oh I've done this before. We ended up using a Murray lawn tractor as a brake. By that I mean that was the first solid object the truck hit after it came down the ramps.

oldopelguy
oldopelguy UltraDork
8/11/17 1:32 p.m.

Hello Texas, it's been a while.

Dusterbd13
Dusterbd13 UltimaDork
8/11/17 1:44 p.m.
Chadeux wrote:
oldopelguy wrote: I'm just worried about giving it a push off the trailer and with no brakes how far it's going to roll.
Oh I've done this before. We ended up using a Murray lawn tractor as a brake. By that I mean that was the first solid object the truck hit after it came down the ramps.

Best use of a Murray mower ever. Im so grateful i finally got rid of mine.

And, on topic: yay texas!

mazdeuce
mazdeuce MegaDork
8/11/17 5:00 p.m.

If all keeps going well the COE should be here in a matter of hours. I should put on pants.

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
8/11/17 5:05 p.m.
mazdeuce wrote: If all keeps going well the COE should be here in a matter of hours. I should put on pants.

"I should put on pants". Posted at 5:00 PM.

NOHOME
NOHOME UltimaDork
8/11/17 6:12 p.m.
Keith Tanner wrote:
mazdeuce wrote: If all keeps going well the COE should be here in a matter of hours. I should put on pants.

That did not go un-noticed

Wall-e
Wall-e GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
8/11/17 7:05 p.m.

Let a bunch of air out of the tires to keep it from wanting to roll. I used to do this to unload our modified and it would drastically reduce it's desire to roll away.

mazdeuce
mazdeuce MegaDork
8/11/17 7:21 p.m.
NOHOME wrote:
Keith Tanner wrote:

I didn't buy my own house so I could follow "rules" about "pants".

Dusterbd13
Dusterbd13 UltimaDork
8/11/17 7:24 p.m.
mazdeuce wrote:
NOHOME wrote:
Keith Tanner wrote:
I didn't buy my own house so I could follow "rules" about "pants".

Someday i want to be you.

mazdeuce
mazdeuce MegaDork
8/11/17 8:53 p.m.

Special delivery! Carefully winching it down. And in the yard. As you can tell by that last picture, it's dark now. In the morning, it begins!

759NRNG
759NRNG HalfDork
8/11/17 9:01 p.m.

After you buy oldopelguy breakfast and copious amounts off COFFEE... congrats!!! Splendora we have touchdown.....

Dusterbd13
Dusterbd13 UltimaDork
8/11/17 9:23 p.m.

The picture of it on the trailer behind a late model full size truck makes tbe truck and trailer look huge.

This is getting fun!

759NRNG
759NRNG HalfDork
8/11/17 9:27 p.m.

There's a story on how you got the IHCOE behind the fence I'm sure....might as well start with that.....

Dusterbd13
Dusterbd13 UltimaDork
8/11/17 9:28 p.m.

In reply to 759NRNG:

Im hoping for a picture of him pulling it with the Porsche.

oldopelguy
oldopelguy UltraDork
8/11/17 10:07 p.m.
Wall-e wrote: Let a bunch of air out of the tires to keep it from wanting to roll. I used to do this to unload our modified and it would drastically reduce it's desire to roll away.

Normally that wouldn't be a bad idea, but with tube type locking ring truck tires if they ever get below a certain pressure, right about where they would deform, they have to have the bead reseated. It's a big deal for big trucks if the air pressure gets low.

barefootskater
barefootskater New Reader
8/12/17 9:03 a.m.
mazdeuce wrote: Carefully winching it down.

I come from the ...darker.... side of the webs. Couldn't help but comment on a job that should probably be done in fairly heavy boots being done in (look closely now) crocs. That putting on pants thing was literal i think. Excited to see progress.

Chesterfield
Chesterfield New Reader
8/12/17 9:23 a.m.

This looks like it is going to be a fun project, and I cannot wait to see where it goes. Plus, I have always liked the looks of a vintage COE.

BrokenYugo
BrokenYugo MegaDork
8/12/17 2:55 p.m.
oldopelguy wrote:
Wall-e wrote: Let a bunch of air out of the tires to keep it from wanting to roll. I used to do this to unload our modified and it would drastically reduce it's desire to roll away.
Normally that wouldn't be a bad idea, but with tube type locking ring truck tires if they ever get below a certain pressure, right about where they would deform, they have to have the bead reseated. It's a big deal for big trucks if the air pressure gets low.

Aren't you leaving out the part where if you don't pull it off and make sure the ring/bead is seated (and then refill it remotely, preferably in a cage) it can come apart with lethal force when you air it up?

https://www.youtube.com/embed/s2exMOT0-9M

mazdeuce
mazdeuce MegaDork
8/12/17 6:27 p.m.

Deucekid#1 says it looks like the truck dropped something and is trying to find it.
Took the tape measure out this morning. The door tag says the wheel base is 149 inches.the tape measure says right about 115. Just shy of three feet shorter than delivered. Total lenght is about 17 feet which makes it a foot shorter than my crew cab short box truck. Track width is a foot wider though which contributes to the illusion that the truck is both tiny and huge at the same time. A 12 foot bed will make it the same length as my truck, which means that regular parking lots (at least in Texas) are still fair game. Sweet.

mazdeuce
mazdeuce MegaDork
8/12/17 6:34 p.m.

First things first, there is stuff inside. Fiberglass piece for the back of the cab, chain that fits the PTO sprocket, headliner (good for patterns) and under that, about 300 lbs of mouse poop. Ok, not realy 300 lbs, mouse poop is light, like gross stinky popcorn. Lots and lots of cleaning.
Now it doesn't look like a mouse outhouse, but it still smells like one. More cleaning and airing out to come. On a side note, who doesn't love cars with trap doors to check the oil? It might be a bit inconvenient to remove the bottom seat cushion to check, but it looks cool, and that's what's important.

mazdeuce
mazdeuce MegaDork
8/12/17 6:46 p.m.

At this point I lifted the cab and threw a battery in to see if I could convince the engine to at least turn over. No pictures, because no, I could not.
What I did figure out was the radiator was sitting all catty wompus because a lower cross member was bent, so I pulled it out. The radiator looks good, some enterprising individual made an expanded metal protective grille for it and epoxied it in place. Seems to have worked. Not sure if it holds coolant yet, the radiator was pulled far enough that the lower hose had popped off and there was only the barest dregs of coolant. It looked nice and green, so that's another plus. At this point it got hot and I lost motivation. Spacecadet came over to see the COE and take the R63 for a spin, and oldopelguy came back to grab the trailer and we talked cars and heavy truck wheels and divorced transfer cases and legitimately bonkers challenge car ideas.
I was invited to autocross tomorrow in Spacecadet's new Miata, so probably no real work will happen. Need to play sometimes.

Slammo
Slammo
8/14/17 1:05 a.m.

Mazdeuce, it was good to meet you at the autocross yesterday. Keep the project updates coming and let me know if you want a hand!

Wall-e
Wall-e GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
8/14/17 8:09 a.m.
oldopelguy wrote:

Good point, those wheels are nothing to play with.

mazdeuce
mazdeuce MegaDork
8/14/17 2:47 p.m.

Fixing everything on this truck is overwhelming and makes me want to curl up in a ball in the cab and rock myself to sleep.
How about I identify the most pressing problem and work from there? Sounds good. In order to drive it has to run. In order to run it has to start. In order to start it has to crank over. Time to make a remote starter. Clip this to the positive terminal on the battery and the small terminal on the starter, push the button and.....nothing. Crap. Let's pull the starter and check it off the truck. This is a good time to note that the wires coming out of the starter look like this, I think they were on fire once. A problem? Maybe, but not proirity one, we'll come back to that another day. Anyway, this is the starter. Two bolts, easy. Except it's kind of broken. The solenoid fell apart when trying to disconnect the wires, then one screw holding the solenoid broke when taking that off, then the starter itself wouldn't do anything when hooked right to the battery. Before I spend money, I should move backward on my troubleshooting and check if the engine will even turn over. Pull the fan, put a breaker bar on the crank bolt and......no, it's stuck. Well poop. Let's pull the plugs and see if we can't pour some ATF in the cylinders and get things moving. Should be easy right? No. Five were easy. One was a little difficult. One took a half hour of picking the rust from around the plug until I could get a socket on it, and the last one is resisting all efforts to come out. Not going to pour ATF in until I figure out whether or not I need to do something drastic to get that spark plug out. What kind of drastic things are there to do when a spark plug is stuck anyway?
Ok, and I drained the oil. More water that I generally like to see in a crankcase, but not full, so that's ok maybe?
Mrs. Deuce called and I told her that the motor was locked. She said "pfffft, that's what you said about the R63 and you fixed that, this has to be easier, right?"
She's not wrong I suppose.

Dusterbd13
Dusterbd13 UltimaDork
8/14/17 3:02 p.m.

I love your attitude. Thanks for the inspiration today. I needed it

1 ... 6 7 8 9 10 ... 74

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
lGQTvzKGUh3oBhvegpUY6Af3ZZShmcC5F4N8FLca4Wcg5QMdCGkkdoGWKDsnr51Z