Irkie500
Irkie500 New Reader
5/3/24 9:59 a.m.

I don't know where my love of little british cars started but as soon as I saw a MGB GT I knew that was the car to get. My wife surprised me for my 30th birthday a few years ago locating this car to which we bought. 

Vehicle was in rough shape but it did run and transmission found all the gears. Suspension was shot, brake line ruptured just before the test drive, a bunch of the electronics didnt work, etc.

After tinkering for a few weeks I realized that if I restored it to factory it wouldn't be what I was after. I am a fan of vintage Trans Am cars and that style so I decided why not start an adventure of swapping this to an LS and a 5 speed. Many months of research got me a gameplan together, tracked down a motor and transmission, and went to town gutting the car.

It has been a very slow journey so far, we had just moved into our house when I got the car, a few job changes and life events stalled the project like usual, I don't have a ton of tools but am collecting them as I go, and learning a ton!

Follow along as I try and navigate building a car!

Vehicle: 1970 MGB GT

Engine: 5.3 L33 LS

Transmission: Aisin AR5 

Front End: CCE 5 lug hub kit with big brakes, stainless lines, mounts, etc

Rear End: Ford 8.8 narrowed ideally with LSD

Wheels/Tries: No idea yet

Body: Sebring style kit for wide flares and extra tire room

EDIT: Added more pictures that didnt upload on mobile!

The day I brought it home:

Peeled away all the carpet, trim panels and sound insulation to reveal a lot of surface rust, luckily structure is still solid. Not pictured is me cleaning that and priming it for now, may replace both floor pans eventually.

One word: Mice

Engine looking clean for 270,000 miles! I got very lucky with what appears to be a very well maintained engine. $250 for this and $250 for the transmission.

3d scanned the motor with my phone and plopped it in there roughly via AR. I am not keeping the heater so I plan on making a LOT of cuts to the firewall to get the engine/trans back as far as comfortable.

Driver side junk

AngryCorvair (Forum Supporter)
AngryCorvair (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
5/3/24 10:03 a.m.

In for updates

budget_bandit
budget_bandit Reader
5/3/24 10:29 a.m.

I'm digging it

NOHOME
NOHOME MegaDork
5/3/24 10:54 a.m.

I am somewhat familiar with these cars. Looking forward to the build.

I will leave you with a link to what I consider to be the best V8 MGB GT ever built.

http://www.britishv8.org/MG/DanMasters.htm#google_vignette

RacetruckRon
RacetruckRon GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
5/3/24 11:08 a.m.

This is going to be a sweet build. I'm hoping your cheap, high mileage L33 experience is less catastrophic than mine. 

Dusterbd13-michael
Dusterbd13-michael MegaDork
5/3/24 11:15 a.m.

Hell yeah!!

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
5/3/24 11:19 a.m.

I like this recipe.

Irkie500
Irkie500 New Reader
5/3/24 11:57 a.m.
Keith Tanner said:

I like this recipe.

Kieth I will admit I have read your entire build log from start to finish at least 3-4 times now. I am sure I will ask many questions.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
DADBZKTXeObGfxsS0PoSwsCc1JSt8VJTqW7jrHcz4Lz01UJ3Svk8cIu7Wl0j4VNF