1 ... 14 15 16 17 18 ... 35
Mezzanine
Mezzanine HalfDork
4/12/16 5:29 p.m.

STILL not my ugliest weld. One thing I really appreciate about this forum: there are a number of members who aren't afraid to show their failures as well as the successes. It challenges me to share my own failings more honestly, and I like that.

Keep up the good (and bad!) work.

Hungary Bill
Hungary Bill GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
4/15/16 9:48 a.m.

You know, I think it's the modest/helpful nature of the people on this forum that's kept me at this project. It's been way more effort than I wanted to put into the car when I bought it and well over my head for a long time now, but the good help I get when I make mistakes and the guidance ya'll give me when you see what's in store for me down the road has kept this thing progressing along with minimal re-work (so far). Without the support from the community here I'm relatively certian this beast would have hit the scrap heap even with my best efforts.

TLDR: Aw, you guys

Today was supposed to be engine install day, but I accidentally stuck my hand in a glory hole and pulled out a handful of greasy dirt (the highlights of which are only partly represented in the third picture). In all I was able to fill a measuring cup with rust droppings and dirt, but everything inside seems to be solid (ie: no holes). I tried to get my air vac in there, but it didn't suck up a darn thing

The rock had me scratching my head. How in the world...?

There doesn't seem to be any access other than that little opening, so my finger deep cleaning job will have to do for now.

Good times

Hungary Bill
4/15/16 9:52 a.m.

In other news, here's how the valve covers turned out (next up is the plenum)

The plenum picture is really just to help me put all the vac fittings back where they came from I was more than happy with the way the valve covers worked out in the end, so I'm going to go at the plenum the same way:

• spray first coat in the morning in the garage.

• let dry for about 3 days

• take it outside on a hot day and lay it on thick.

• let dry in the sun.

• Sand longitudinal lines for highlights.

Good times

brad131a4
brad131a4 Reader
4/15/16 10:56 a.m.

Shoot how did I miss this? One of my good friends has a Milano with a built 3ltr that he uses for track days with the Alfa club back when they still did them. He just got done with a restoration of a 67 step nose Junior ? Dang can't remember. Are you going to hit up the all Italian show in Issaquah this Sunday at the Triple X. I know he was thinking about bringing it out for the show. Wife has a 74 alfa spider that I've been working off and on again for a couple of years when I get the chance.

Have you checked out Vick's for Alfa parts? I saw you have used Centerline but didn't see them listed.

I ran into a 3ltr motor at the Lynnwood pnp a couple years ago and should have pulled it just to have for my friend.

Good luck with the build would offer some help but my wife has me tied up in honeydo projects and house remodeling. I'm lucky to work on any of the ten car projects I have going. Most are little but just can't seem to get them finished.

Hungary Bill
4/15/16 11:24 a.m.
brad131a4 wrote: Shoot how did I miss this? One of my good friends has a Milano with a built 3ltr that he uses for track days with the Alfa club back when they still did them. He just got done with a restoration of a 67 step nose Junior ? Dang can't remember. Are you going to hit up the all Italian show in Issaquah this Sunday at the Triple X. I know he was thinking about bringing it out for the show. Wife has a 74 alfa spider that I've been working off and on again for a couple of years when I get the chance. Have you checked out Vick's for Alfa parts? I saw you have used Centerline but didn't see them listed. I ran into a 3ltr motor at the Lynnwood pnp a couple years ago and should have pulled it just to have for my friend. Good luck with the build would offer some help but my wife has me tied up in honeydo projects and house remodeling. I'm lucky to work on any of the ten car projects I have going. Most are little but just can't seem to get them finished.

All italian car show!?! How did I miss that!?

Unfortunately its our anniversary this weekend (wow, that came out wrong...) and we have plans on Sunday

I've done some poking around Vicks, but haven't bought anything from them yet. There are some things I still need though, so maybe I'll do some more poking around their site today.

I hear ya on the "Honey do's". I was going nuts trying to get everything done around the house to get some garage time. In the end I decided it was just easier to wake up at 3:30 in the morning

If you ever plan on being in the area give us a heads up. Mezzanine, Java, and aclockworkgarage are pretty close and there are a few other members not too far away (Javelin, turboswede, caffeine...). Every once in a while the planets align and a few of us are able to get together.

XLR99
XLR99 GRM+ Memberand Dork
4/15/16 12:31 p.m.
Hungary Bill wrote: In other news, here's how the valve covers turned out (next up is the plenum)

Wow, that looks amazing! You should hang it above the fireplace as art. Perfect anniversary gift !!

Hungary Bill
4/18/16 8:35 a.m.

In reply to XLR99:

oh man, if I tried to pull that off Mrs. Hungary would beat me to death with my own skull for sure!

Speaking of car shows! Here's the Hungarling at the Lemay for their monthly cruise in last Thursday. He was quite a hit and had a blast.

Hungary Bill
4/18/16 8:36 a.m.

On Saturday, we came home from the Jr. Daffodil parade to find this on my doorstep

Hungary Bill
4/18/16 8:37 a.m.

And Sunday morning I may or may not have snuck in a few minutes with an intake plenum under the guise of "kid watching" for Mrs. Hungary while she "got ready" for our date (youngest Hungarling pictured):

Good times

Flight Service
Flight Service MegaDork
4/18/16 8:41 a.m.

Dude we are just along for the ride enjoying what seems to be turning out to be a pristine GTV6 when you are done with it.

Can't wait to see it finished.

brad131a4
brad131a4 Reader
4/18/16 9:11 a.m.

Looks like you had a good weekend. The show at the triple x was a bit of a letdown. A good bunch of fiats but the other makes sure didn't do very well. Usually the Ferrari crowd has a good showing. The one bright spot was a pre-war alfa racer that had won in Monaco and placed in the Mille Miglia (Spelling?). It was in original condition or a very old restoration. Had the Scuderia Ferrari emblems on the hood which took me a while to figure out as I was a little confused with the prancing horse being on the emblem.

Hungary Bill
4/19/16 8:07 a.m.

Flight Service:

Thanks :), I'm hoping this thing comes together nicely. Lots of times I have high aspirations but reality has different ideas for me If this thing fires back up and drives without issue I'll be one damn happy camper.

Brad:

Bummer about the show. Maybe next year I'll add to the Alfa crowd

Hungary Bill
4/19/16 8:11 a.m.

So speaking of sharing mistakes... Did you know Alfa's brake master cylinders are actually mounted horizontally?

Put that in the "what the hell was I thinking" bin. For ease of installation I'm pretty sure I had the booster on the pedal box and THEN I installed it all as one assembly... I guess my spatial awareness was a bit off that day. Ah well. I had to get a bit creative, but I got her back on there ok.

Good times.

Hungary Bill
4/19/16 8:15 a.m.

If I may:

Before and (almost) after:

Getting these pictures almost made me late for work today...

... But it was worth every damn second it took.

Good darn times.

java230
java230 HalfDork
4/19/16 9:33 a.m.

Looks like its getting close!!

Flight Service
Flight Service MegaDork
4/19/16 10:47 a.m.

In reply to Hungary Bill:

Mezzanine
Mezzanine HalfDork
4/19/16 10:47 a.m.
Hungary Bill wrote: So speaking of sharing mistakes... Did you know Alfa's brake master cylinders are actually mounted horizontally?

Lolz.

If you were dedicated to proper bodge, you'd figure out a way to make the reservoir remote mount, so you wouldn't have to take the booster back out. :D

Mezzanine
Mezzanine HalfDork
4/19/16 10:49 a.m.
Hungary Bill wrote:

So hot. If I can claim any sort of influence over your decision to go wrinkle red, then I have achieved some level of god-like status riding on your back. This looks amazing. GREAT JOB!

Hungary Bill
4/19/16 11:17 a.m.

Java:

2 of the three big jobs are done (engine bay and wire harness) unfortunately the biggest job was left for last (body work). It's kind of a tough crossroad right now because while texting Mezzanine the other day I realized I could probably have this beast back together in a month of mornings for an attempt at a start/drive. The down side is I'd have to take most of it back out for paint when the time comes. I'm 90% sure I'm going to try to tackle the paint this summer, and then start reinstalling stuff after that (the less on the car, the less I have to mask/worry about). If I can sneak a test drive in before November I'd be stoked.

If not I have a few other ideas that can keep me busy through the winter

Mezzanine:

You sir, are almost completely to blame for the wrinkle red finish.

I say "to blame" instead of "credited with" because I put a finger print on the 1-2-3 side with some gasket sealer and went at it for the next 15 minutes with a toothbrush and various cleaners

Mezzanine
Mezzanine HalfDork
4/19/16 1:52 p.m.
Hungary Bill wrote: Mezzanine: You sir, are almost completely to blame for the wrinkle red finish. I say "to blame" instead of "credited with" because I put a finger print on the 1-2-3 side with some gasket sealer and went at it for the next 15 minutes with a toothbrush and various cleaners

HAHAHA!!! I'm so glad I could influence you in this way.

RossD
RossD UltimaDork
4/19/16 2:37 p.m.
Hungary Bill wrote: I say "to blame" instead of "credited with" because I put a finger print on the 1-2-3 side with some gasket sealer and went at it for the next 15 minutes with a toothbrush and various cleaners

Well if you ever get your car stolen, there's a damn good way to ID it as yours!

ssswitch
ssswitch HalfDork
4/19/16 9:28 p.m.

He'll know it's his because the thief would have left a bunch of Alfa service manuals and an oscilloscope behind in the passenger footwell.

I kid - that wrinkle red is looking super awesome installed in the car.

Hungary Bill
4/21/16 10:36 a.m.

Things have been going waaaaaay to smooth lately. How about I mix things up with "Wheel caps" (A story with pictures).

I'm missing a wheel cap. It looks like this:

I've tried a few options as far as replacements go, but they usually end up arriving like this:

To which Mrs. Hungary replies with one of the following responses:

• 1) "Tell me you didn't pay money for those"

or

• 2) "Please tell me that's not going on your Alfa"

Realizing I'm completely inept at helping myself I post a thread on Alfabb with the following picture

I explain the dimensions (56mm end to end, badge is 52mm) get a few leads, before someone says "I have one. $10 + shipping and it's yours"

I pay and get two badges in the mail

The first looks like this:

Close, says I, but no cigar.

The second looks like this:

(also in the picture are one of my wheel caps with the "too small" wheel cap)

but the back of it looks like this:

hmmmmm. says I.

I guess I can RTV the correct sized cap in place but it's got the wrong decal.

And then it hits me! This guy wants me to take the right decal and put it on the right sized cap (I can be slow at times)

So I do.

Unfortunately when I do, it looks like this:

If you count the few junk caps I tried to make work, the cap I bought from centerline that wasn't a cap at all, and this latest effort I'm into this ONE wheel cap for almost $80 and still don't have a solution...

Alfa: 4, Bill: 0 on this one.

Good times

Flight Service
Flight Service MegaDork
4/21/16 12:00 p.m.

In reply to Hungary Bill:

Why not find any center cap that would work and have a decal made from a cleaned up scan of the center cap design you want from a decal shop? (You want the black or color?) and then seal it with a nice little bit of clear coat or a clear overlay. Nice thing with a scan is they can put it on a jump drive for you (or you can grab a web shot and skip the scanning) and then scale it to the appropriate radius.

Probably get the shop to put the sticker on straight for you too.

Little more work than just finding the right cap or frankensteining it but replaceable and most importantly findable.

RossD
RossD UltimaDork
4/22/16 9:43 a.m.

Get some thin metal (maybe aluminum) and look up PCB etching. People print the design out on magazine paper and use some weak acids to etch the metal. Then you rub black paint into the etched region and rub clean the smooth bits. It must might work.

1 ... 14 15 16 17 18 ... 35

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
DC9WbNlvJUqZfv3xN8AUpmJYCdW6PB1KPfQ5MomNbtXsmSc8BHWiuOcKAwldoTFL