1 ... 23 24 25 26 27 ... 139
moxnix
moxnix Reader
6/19/12 10:05 p.m.
irish44j wrote: Also, just because I took a picture of it....the 2nd place prize for class at the "Conquer the Summit." Yeah, everyone there got one, but first and second in class got an extra, lol. Well, can never have too many pint glasses, right?

A little birdy told me that the first place ones actually say class winner.

irish44j
irish44j SuperDork
6/19/12 10:12 p.m.
moxnix wrote:
irish44j wrote: Also, just because I took a picture of it....the 2nd place prize for class at the "Conquer the Summit." Yeah, everyone there got one, but first and second in class got an extra, lol. Well, can never have too many pint glasses, right?
A little birdy told me that the first place ones actually say class winner.

lol.

well, I do have an etching machine here.....;)

irish44j
irish44j SuperDork
6/24/12 8:36 p.m.

First: wife provided fresh fruit smoothies for hot day work. Just like St.Maarten, but without the beach part, lol.

Today decided to take some of the rear end apart to try to figure out why I'm still getting the occasional hard BANG from the rear underside of the car. It's like someone is smacking the bottom of the trunk or backseat or something with a hammer. Only happens when the suspension unloads and the reloads and I get on the gas hard in a certain manner. And only while turning right.

This has annoyed me since everything back there is rebuilt or new pretty much. First addressed the usual suspects:

driveshaft center support, giubo, and u-joint - all appeared and felt fine

suspension bolts in the rear - all torqued to spec still

rear subframe bolts - torqued to spec still

diff bolts - all of them had loosened up a bit, but not enough to allow movement. re-torqued them all with some loctite

axle bolts, etc - all torqued to spec still.

exhaust - still tight, hanging nicely, and not banging on anything, even when pushed as hard as I could with my foot.

checked the calipers and they were fine. no evidence of pad knockback or anything (not that I'd expect it with sliders anyhow).

down to 2 possibilities: First, the parking/ebrake. When the car is moving, the first time you pull the ebrake (and no, I don't do it often), there is a loud BANG that I haven't quite figured out what it's from. Sounds like its coming from the cable itself back under the car, but the cables are new and they seem to operate fine. And it's only the right-side cable that does this. So maybe the cable is binding when the suspension unloads or something and causing the same noise.

Took the rotors off and checked the ebrakes and cables, but everything appears to be in good shape and adjusted correctly.

Last thing was the rear springs. When I swapped to the "S" springs I took out the rubber spring isolators on the top and bottom to drop the car in the rear and extra 3/8". When unloaded the springs are now able to move around a bit if pulled by hand. Maybe they're binding on the LCA or something and causing the noise (doubtful, I think). But since i'm under there doing stuff, I went and put the isolators back on.

Long story short I drove the car and couldn't replicate the sound now. That doesn't mean much since the sound happened very occasionally and usually only on-course, but we'll see.

pics, as usual. Nothing too exciting though.

overview. Not too too dirty since I sprayed off the underside last week

this is my rear (extra) exhaust hangar after 2 months. what garbage....ugh.

spring pad-less. you can see there is some "play" in the centerbore on the nub

my neighbor also came over and asked me if I wanted a foot locker/travel container thing. Without seeing it, the answer was of course yes. After removing his daughter's stickers from it (such as "we love you Allie!"), decided to test it out in the car. As luck would have it, this box fits perfectly WITH my current gearbox in the e30 trunk (and with a small cooler, small toolkit, and 2 folding chairs).

So now I'll have one gearbox specifically for tools, fluids, and repair stuff and can use the other one specifically for all the rallycross gear (helmets, spare clothes, bug spray, shoes, towels, etc). Excellent.

Does take up the space I needed for my big pop-up tent shelter, but that can fit in the backseat with the wheels/tires anyhow.

new gear box

old box alone

both boxes, cooler, tool kit, 2 chairs, full-size spare, and some other crap. Damn I love the e30 trunk!!!!!

Ian F
Ian F UberDork
6/25/12 1:55 p.m.

FYI/cross-post from the Philly region forum:

Paul B said: The Northeast Division is trying to set up a Divisional RX Challenge Sept 15-16 at Pocono Speedway. They are trying to gauge interest so let me know if you think you're likely to attend, by email please: philly.rallycross@yahoo.com. The entry fee will depend in part on how many people are expected to attend, so ifmore people indicate now that they'll come, the lower the fee is likely to be. Camping and showers will be available on site as part of the deal. Paul

Our guys are trying to get some events together for the Fall, but it's been tough...

irish44j
irish44j SuperDork
6/25/12 2:48 p.m.

^^ that would be the weekend after RX #5 for DC region at Summit Point. I'll spread the news on the rally listserv if you're not on there. Not sure if I'll be able to do 2 weekends in a row personally (I'll have a 1-month-old kid at that time!), but would be cool.

5-hour drive at least for me. I'd probably have to trailer the e30....not sure if I trust it that much, lol.

Wish someone was doing an event this summer. It's a long break before our next event September 9th!

moxnix
moxnix Reader
6/25/12 4:44 p.m.

5 hour drive here also :-(

Ian F
Ian F UberDork
6/25/12 4:49 p.m.

Well... at least it's a relatively easy (if boring) drive... Pocono is pretty close to the hwy.

irish44j
irish44j SuperDork
6/26/12 8:41 p.m.

Got a few pics from one of the photographers at the last event, that turned out a bit better than some others I had from the event. Just for fun :)

Adrian_Thompson
Adrian_Thompson Dork
6/27/12 1:49 p.m.

Josh, can you talk about the on road handling and road holding please? From memory you’ve completely refreshed the suspension with a combination of poly and OEM rubber, you’ve added HD Bilstien’s to the stock springs. You’ve also got I think Dunlop SP’s on the Euro weaves. So although it rides high on the OEM springs due to weight loss, I’m hoping to hear it handles really well. How do you think it would hold up against a local ST autocross car if it were a little lower on your current set up?

irish44j
irish44j SuperDork
6/27/12 11:16 p.m.

I have Dunlop Star Specs (not SPs) on the weaves actually. The car actually handles great. It does lean in hard corners, but probably not any more than my WRX did on stock suspension. The ride quality is better on rough stuff than the WRX (stock or current), and really the ride is pretty comfy, yet firm, even in the ratty old porsche seats. I've honestly had thoughts about ditching the WRX (still being paid for) and getting another e30 for DD. But then I realize that I love the WRX as a DD, and it's trouble-free, comfortable, very quick, and great in bad weather. So I won't do that, haha.

The road holding is great. I can take corners as fast in this car as in the WRX with 245 UHP summer tires (if I can get up that fast!). The Star Specs grip like a mofo, even in the thin 195's. With the M10 and LSD I literally cannot do much of a burnout at all (if I wanted to) on dry pavement.

Stiffer/lowering springs would obviously harshen up the ride a bit, but the car is pretty light and would surey be a blast on the twisties. Also with the quicker e36 steering rack, that makes a BIG difference in "fun to drive" factor over the stock slow rack and truck-size wheel, lol.

For the last decade I've run mostly in SM, SP, and M autocross classes and not paid much attention to ST classes, honestly. I think the car would be fun for autocross, but remember that alot of my weight-reduction isn't ST-legal. I'm not sure offhand what it would be running against, but my M10 car would be down significantly in power to pretty much everything out there, which would be the toughest part. A newer M42 car would do much better.

I will probably do an SCCA autocross this summer at some point (though my gutted interior and such would put me in a high class, so I'll probably just run non-comp), so if I do I'll have some times to compare to the ST cars I guess. I'm a reasonably good autocrosser (2 x class champ in BMWCCA non-BMW class in the WRX), but by no means an autocross stud like some people I know.

irish44j
irish44j SuperDork
6/27/12 11:18 p.m.

A buddy of mine was in town last week. He's had a number of pretty fast modded cars, done many autocrosses, etc. He wanted to drive the e30 since he never had driven one. So I let him hit some local roads for 15 minutes or so, crank it up a bit, and hit some twisties.

When we got back he informed me that he will definitely be looking for a cheap e30 project back in Oklahoma.......said the car was a blast to drive, even with 100 wimpy horsepower.

Ian F
Ian F UberDork
6/28/12 7:06 a.m.

Josh, what is the rear ratio of your car? My car has a 3.73 and I've found with the same Star Specs the car is basically useless for autocross as 2nd gear is only good for about 45 mph and I end up spending a good portion of every run with the engine banging against the rev-limiter. I need at least 60 mph to be competitive in STX and I don't trust the Z3 shifter at all to be attempting 3rd gear shifts at redline in 2nd gear, even with poly trans and motor mounts (too many "money shift" memories from teh M3 days). I bought a full UUC shifter kit, but I'm hesitant to install it until I'm sure it's worth the effort.

I could probably learn to live with the stock steering rack, but I haven't been able to think of any solution for the gearing. On the hwy the engine is screaming its guts out with the speedo indicating ~70 mph but I'm getting passed like I'm sitting still.

It's really frustrating, to be honest. Everybody seems to really love these cars and I bought a really nice one with lengthy history from a reputable seller (Sonic), but in the end I've never been so disappointed in a car.

FWIW, the gutted interior will likely put the car in G-Prepared. I think the rack conversion is aslo legal there as well as your planned M42 swap.

Adrian_Thompson
Adrian_Thompson Dork
6/28/12 8:01 a.m.

Thanks, that’s a wonderful write up and exactly what I was looking for.

I really have no interest in Silly Car Club of the Anal retentive rules or class structure, I only asked about ST as they run on street tires. On the few occasions I autocross I run with one of the local clubs under the DCSCC (Detroit Council of Sports Car Clubs) who have far more intelligent rules for local autocrossers who don’t run Nationally.

I’m half on the lookout for a cheap E30 to build into a fun road, occasional track/autocross and maybe rallycross car. I looked at one for $800 last month, but it was too rusty. Tom Spangler’s already found one and we both have similar intentions. Relatively stock, but with re-built suspension, but with decent shocks etc. Very similar to what you’ve done.

irish44j
irish44j SuperDork
6/28/12 5:34 p.m.

teaser of this weekend's project:

irish44j
irish44j SuperDork
6/28/12 5:38 p.m.
Adrian_Thompson wrote: Thanks, that’s a wonderful write up and exactly what I was looking for. I really have no interest in Silly Car Club of the Anal retentive rules or class structure, I only asked about ST as they run on street tires. On the few occasions I autocross I run with one of the local clubs under the DCSCC (Detroit Council of Sports Car Clubs) who have far more intelligent rules for local autocrossers who don’t run Nationally. I’m half on the lookout for a cheap E30 to build into a fun road, occasional track/autocross and maybe rallycross car. I looked at one for $800 last month, but it was too rusty. Tom Spangler’s already found one and we both have similar intentions. Relatively stock, but with re-built suspension, but with decent shocks etc. Very similar to what you’ve done.

I hear you there. I ran with BMWCCA for the last two seasons for the same reason. I can't stand SCCA's autocross classing structure either. I may run SCCA events in the e30 just because I'm a member, and they run the biggest lots around. On the other hand, SCCA's rallycross classing structure is VERY sensible (and simple), and your "mods" and setup tweaks are far less important than in autocross. But I digress....

irish44j
irish44j SuperDork
6/28/12 5:43 p.m.
Ian F wrote: Josh, what is the rear ratio of your car? My car has a 3.73 and I've found with the same Star Specs the car is basically useless for autocross as 2nd gear is only good for about 45 mph and I end up spending a good portion of every run with the engine banging against the rev-limiter. I need at least 60 mph to be competitive in STX and I don't trust the Z3 shifter at all to be attempting 3rd gear shifts at redline in 2nd gear, even with poly trans and motor mounts (too many "money shift" memories from teh M3 days). I bought a full UUC shifter kit, but I'm hesitant to install it until I'm sure it's worth the effort. I could probably learn to live with the stock steering rack, but I haven't been able to think of any solution for the gearing. On the hwy the engine is screaming its guts out with the speedo indicating ~70 mph but I'm getting passed like I'm sitting still. It's really frustrating, to be honest. Everybody seems to really love these cars and I bought a really nice one with lengthy history from a reputable seller (Sonic), but in the end I've never been so disappointed in a car. FWIW, the gutted interior will likely put the car in G-Prepared. I think the rack conversion is aslo legal there as well as your planned M42 swap.

I have a 3.91 LSD rear. I hit the limiter in 2nd somewhere in the mid-50s I think, but that's fine since I only occasionally even get up that fast in rallycross (it takes a while with an M10!). The guys out there running in an ETA frequently go into 4th on course! They are constantly rowing gears. Is your car a G240 or G260 tranny?

The e30 turns about the same (or a touch higher) rpms on the highway as my WRX, and that makes sense - e30 is low power and needs the revs, and the WRX is a turbo car that doesn't like to be in low revs on the highway either. The GT6 absolutely screams on the highway, so I'm used to it.

My view is that an e30 can't REALLY be competitive in STX. Not when the 2.0 WRX's play there. I wouldn't buy an e30 as a autocross-specific car. I find it far more fun for rallycross, when you can really enjoy having RWD and you're only racing against other RWD cars (whereas in autocross you have to run against FWD and AWD cars in the same class).

Ian F
Ian F UberDork
6/29/12 8:30 a.m.
irish44j wrote: I have a 3.91 LSD rear. I hit the limiter in 2nd somewhere in the mid-50s I think, but that's fine since I only occasionally even get up that fast in rallycross (it takes a while with an M10!). The guys out there running in an ETA frequently go into 4th on course! They are constantly rowing gears. Is your car a G240 or G260 tranny? The e30 turns about the same (or a touch higher) rpms on the highway as my WRX, and that makes sense - e30 is low power and needs the revs, and the WRX is a turbo car that doesn't like to be in low revs on the highway either. The GT6 absolutely screams on the highway, so I'm used to it. My view is that an e30 can't REALLY be competitive in STX. Not when the 2.0 WRX's play there. I wouldn't buy an e30 as a autocross-specific car. I find it far more fun for rallycross, when you can really enjoy having RWD and you're only racing against other RWD cars (whereas in autocross you have to run against FWD and AWD cars in the same class).

Hmm... maybe my car has a 4.11, then... I'm not sure which trans it has - whatever is original for an '88 325is, I suspect. It turns more RPM's at speed on the hwy than my GT6. Low end power isn't as much of an issue with the I6. I have to be very careful with the throttle on course or the car is sideways. I can pretty much count on being pointed in the wrong direction at least once during an event. The car definitely doesn't have a power problem, it has a traction (driver) problem. I have a chip for the ECU that I believe raises the redline to 7200, but I've never installed it. It doesn't help my DD is a TDI and even at 80 mph the engine is barely at 3K.

What rear ratio does your GT6 have? Mine has a 3.27, so on the hwy it's not too bad - a bit over 3K at 70, IIRC. At Carlisle I learned the vent windows will rotate far enough to direct air into the car. That was a nice thing to learn.

Unfortunately, I learned that about the e30 after I bought the car... Poor planning and research on my part. I'd love to do rallycross with it but it's just so clean and well kept I wouldn't want to subject it to that kind of abuse (your underside "dirt pictures" are not inspiring). Chris really took care of it and it shows. Hopefully I can find someone who can appreciate it for what it is and I can move on to a more appropriate car for my needs. I wouldn't entirely dismiss the idea of another E30, but just not one so nice as mine. I partly blame my g/f for that. She looks at any car as a "show car" and doesn't understand the concept of a "beater".

I know you hate the idea of yet another Subaru in rallycross, but I keep passing a cheap '97 Outback 5 spd on the way to work and think it would be perfect.

irish44j
irish44j SuperDork
6/29/12 12:45 p.m.

It's berkeleying HOT today. The Subie's temp showed 101 when I went out an hour ago. So pulled the e30 into the yard under a tree (where it's only 95 lol) and got to work on the ventilation project.

Now before I start, a few points: 1. Yes, I know that if this was a "real" competition car I would take out the entire sunroof and just put sheet metal there, but I also like to go cruise around, and I like having a sunroof. And I'll probably pick up an extra "stock" sunroof to have around and I can just switch it if I'm going for a long drive in the mountains and don't need the vent. 2. This is a 50-50 solution in my book. Ideally I'd have a pair of vents a bit farther forward, but this will have to do within the constraints of my budget.

So first we take off the sunroof and get it on the bench, and mark the hole.

and cut..

drill rivet holes and cleaned them up

sealed with black silicone double-bead (not shown), and installed with rivets

decided to clean it up a bit cosmetically once I was done. The silver roof has always annoyed me.

and back installed.

Unlike a "true" rally vent that would have a full-cross bar handle, this is a single center knob so you have to make sure to pull it straight forward and back or the vent will twist a bit and not close well. No biggie, still opens and closes easily.

with backwards open

and the sunroof can still open halfway

:)

Went for a drive (yeah, it's still hot out!). Even at 30mph in the neighborhood there was a good amount of air pumping into the car basically right in front of and between the seat headrests. Also good so if dust comes in on-course it won't dump into my face, which is why I positioned this back a bit more than I could have. Pretty noisy when open forward (or backward) but everything in this car is noisy. When closed the wind noise isn't significant (since the windows are always down anyhow).

So, pretty pleased with this. I got the vent on clearance for about $30 from an online place called "Mill Supply, Inc." I think it's made for trucks or campers or something, but it looks to be the same one that Primitive sells for $89 (except theirs has the full bar handle, but is otherwise identical).

irish44j
irish44j SuperDork
6/29/12 12:53 p.m.
Ian F wrote:
irish44j wrote: I have a 3.91 LSD rear. I hit the limiter in 2nd somewhere in the mid-50s I think, but that's fine since I only occasionally even get up that fast in rallycross (it takes a while with an M10!). The guys out there running in an ETA frequently go into 4th on course! They are constantly rowing gears. Is your car a G240 or G260 tranny? The e30 turns about the same (or a touch higher) rpms on the highway as my WRX, and that makes sense - e30 is low power and needs the revs, and the WRX is a turbo car that doesn't like to be in low revs on the highway either. The GT6 absolutely screams on the highway, so I'm used to it. My view is that an e30 can't REALLY be competitive in STX. Not when the 2.0 WRX's play there. I wouldn't buy an e30 as a autocross-specific car. I find it far more fun for rallycross, when you can really enjoy having RWD and you're only racing against other RWD cars (whereas in autocross you have to run against FWD and AWD cars in the same class).
Hmm... maybe my car has a 4.11, then... I'm not sure which trans it has - whatever is original for an '88 325is, I suspect. It turns more RPM's at speed on the hwy than my GT6. Low end power isn't as much of an issue with the I6. I have to be very careful with the throttle on course or the car is sideways. I can pretty much count on being pointed in the wrong direction at least once during an event. The car definitely doesn't have a power problem, it has a traction (driver) problem. I have a chip for the ECU that I believe raises the redline to 7200, but I've never installed it. It doesn't help my DD is a TDI and even at 80 mph the engine is barely at 3K. What rear ratio does your GT6 have? Mine has a 3.27, so on the hwy it's not too bad - a bit over 3K at 70, IIRC. At Carlisle I learned the vent windows will rotate far enough to direct air into the car. That was a nice thing to learn. Unfortunately, I learned that about the e30 after I bought the car... Poor planning and research on my part. I'd love to do rallycross with it but it's just so clean and well kept I wouldn't want to subject it to that kind of abuse (your underside "dirt pictures" are not inspiring). Chris really took care of it and it shows. Hopefully I can find someone who can appreciate it for what it is and I can move on to a more appropriate car for my needs. I wouldn't entirely dismiss the idea of another E30, but just not one so nice as mine. I partly blame my g/f for that. She looks at any car as a "show car" and doesn't understand the concept of a "beater". I know you hate the idea of yet another Subaru in rallycross, but I keep passing a cheap '97 Outback 5 spd on the way to work and think it would be perfect.

Yeah, my GT6 is a 3.27 as well. Your e30 should have a 3.73 if it's original, but you can always check the metal "tag" on the diff that will tell you exactly what it is. Also the G260 cars have different transmission gearing than my old G240 car, so that could make a difference too.

lol, I don't hate the idea of more subies in rallycross.....but keep in mind that in an Outback you'll be at a decided disatvantage to the GC's and WRXs simply due to sheer mass......

AndreGT6
AndreGT6 Dork
6/29/12 1:58 p.m.

Awesome. Just plain awesome.

Andre Dude with the other GT6.

Ian F
Ian F UberDork
6/29/12 3:25 p.m.
irish44j wrote: lol, I don't hate the idea of more subies in rallycross.....but keep in mind that in an Outback you'll be at a decided disatvantage to the GC's and WRXs simply due to sheer mass......

I'm sure the turbo deficiency wouldn't help against the WRXs either. ...or the 944T down the street from my g/f's house... or hell - maybe the ratty-looking GT6 Mk3 I pass going to the office every day... and part of me would really like to find a ratty Mini and turn it into a rallyx car.

I might have a nibble on the E30... which would open up options. Fingers crossed.

irish44j
irish44j SuperDork
7/1/12 8:31 p.m.

Hot as hell this weekend (98 today), but I felt obligated to get the car some road time, so I did about 30 miles locally today, just cruising. Sitting still of course it was hot in there, especially with the black porsche seats. But on the move the roof vent really pumps in a good volume of air and keeps it tolerable inside, so I'm pretty pleased with that. Also with the hood vents I only had the Spal fan kick on once, which is pretty good since I was sitting at a lot of stoplights. So both cheap ventilation mods seem to be working as hoped.

But too hot to really work on the car (even if I had anything to work on at the moment), so I cleaned out the backyard shedgarage and then did some free cosmetic work.

Because everyone has white covers for their Hellas, lol...

NGTD
NGTD Dork
7/1/12 10:21 p.m.
irish44j wrote: lol, I don't hate the idea of more subies in rallycross.....but keep in mind that in an Outback you'll be at a decided disatvantage to the GC's and WRXs simply due to sheer mass......

I ran a 97 Outback in our local rally-X series for a couple of years. With our classing the NA Subies didn't have to run against the Turbos.

NA Imprezas made my life hell. The Outback was tough and the extra travel was nice (our course gets chewed up and rough). I drove it 3 hours each way, so I could only beat on it so hard. Some guys trailered their cars.

irish44j
irish44j SuperDork
7/3/12 9:22 p.m.

The e30 has forced me to do something I didn't expect to do: call it quits (for the time being) autocrossing the WRX. Because honestly, I can't get excited for autocross anymore after rallycrossing. That, and if I do want to do one, the e30 has star specs for street tires so I'll just use it.

To that end, time to replenish the "car fund" so I can do a few things to the e30 (and 4Runner) by selling my awesome 15lb, 17x8 JDM Enkei Tarmacs with the Yoko AD08s on them that have an STX championship in them (by John Willemin, before I got them lol). A fairly rare wheel to see in the US (I think about 20 of them came in on a NASIOC group deal back in 2006, but who knows). Pat Henry is getting them to use for track days on his WRX, so at least they're going to a good home where they'll be on the track and not at a car show or something, haha....And maybe I can borrow them back some day if I need to ;)

Anyhow, not an e30 mod, but letting them go will allow for some more e30 work so that's good.

bye bye

Jaynen
Jaynen Reader
7/3/12 9:33 p.m.

Those looked nice on your subie

1 ... 23 24 25 26 27 ... 139

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
hT9SUrgyllk5RceqOD1URGRLlLcEtotKRe1MtEl0X1ePzF1cCkqPIATp2tQUGQQu