1 2 3 ... 6
a_florida_man
a_florida_man GRM+ Memberand Dork
9/4/24 8:55 p.m.

My son Jack is 15, and is about to need his first car. 

And HE wants it to be a project!

So far his criteria are:

"It can't look like a bar of soap."

It needs to have lines, like mid-eighties lines. Or at least curves with character. He does not like cars that all  look the same.

A two seater would be cool.. but not mandatory.

Not worried about AC.... (lol he's never not had AC so.... well... lol)

Would like to fix it up a lot and customize it a little.

Considering these criteria... IROC's, 300zx, RX7, RX8, RX anything..., lots of Porsche's, MR2, Starion's (again lol), supra's etc come to mind.

What would you suggest? Looking for comments.... and potentially specific project cars.

If you have a project car that fits this bill and you want to see it come back to life here... let us know.

In a perfect world, the perfect scenario would be a car OF ANY  YEAR  that has character, with decent paint body and interior that has mechanical and electrical issues that substantially out weigh its value. We are always up for a challenge wrapped in a poor decision.

Im just happy that he wants a cool, and unique car; and not a bar of soap.

a_florida_man
9/5/24 1:41 p.m.

Bump

pres589 (djronnebaum)
pres589 (djronnebaum) UltimaDork
9/5/24 1:58 p.m.

Budget?  General location?

Subaru XT Turbo or Fox-based Mecury Capri are my suggestions regardless of your answers.

budget_bandit
budget_bandit Reader
9/5/24 2:00 p.m.

I drove an 80s Trans Am every day from senior year of high school thru college, and i loved most of it. dead simple to work on most of it (the TPI sensors can be irritating, mine was a carb). SBCs are so easy to mod, everyone and their mother makes speed parts for it, and it's not hard to LS swap them either. They aren't fast, but they are quick enough to be fun, and I feel like they handle pretty well.

They can still be had pretty affordably, at least in my area. Some have been ragged on but there are some decent examples left

hobiercr
hobiercr GRM+ Memberand UberDork
9/5/24 2:15 p.m.

My first car (at 15) was a 1972 Fiat 124 Sport Coupe. That car taught me SO MUCH.

I've got too many project cars and need to start letting some go. As much as future me would love to keep these in my stable, I've got to be realistic. Here's the list of stuff in my yard that could go and short description of needs. Assume they ALL don't currently run, need a good cleaning, minor body work (unless noted), and probably a full fuel & brake system inspection/refresh.
1988 RX7 convertible - needs a motor, a new top, and some electrical work (it has a rebuilt title and I have an LS/T56 combo on a pallet if you want to get funky).
1970 Saab 99 -  needs a gas tank made for it and some minor rust repair
1967 Volvo 122 coupe (automatic) - Transmission leak (have another transmission to replace with)
1967 Volvo 122 wagon - No engine/transmission in car BUT I've got a few options in the shop that could go with it.
1983 Toyota Cressida - Factory 5 speed car. Parked many years ago needing a clutch. Needs a lot more now esp with body rust. I have another '84 shell to use for replacement panels that could go with it, another 5mge in my shed, etc. I really wanted to swap in a 1UZFE.

LMK if anything sounds interesting to him.

buzzboy
buzzboy UltraDork
9/5/24 2:38 p.m.

Sounds like he likes the looks of like 85-95ish which I am fully on board with. I'd struggle to be mad at a 3rd gen F Body from your list.

Dark horse candidate, Mercedes W124 Chassis. Bulletproof cars, moderately quick, and you can claim you drive a Benz!

golfduke
golfduke Dork
9/5/24 2:44 p.m.

I came in here to suggest an E36 BMW, but a classic Benz might actually be better.  Or an old brick volvo wagon, if he's cool enough to pull it off :p

iansane
iansane GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
9/5/24 3:05 p.m.

I'm biased, but my first car was a 3rdgen trans am and it taught me A LOT. Especially because back then there wasn't E36 M3 available in the aftermarket so everything was fabbed. Now at least there are bolt on parts for most mod'ing paths.

ShawneeCreek
ShawneeCreek GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
9/5/24 3:26 p.m.

I'll suggest my first car: Honda del Sol.

• Two seater
  • Convertible with a decent trunk
  • Honda lego-like part swapping and aftermarket support
  • Low power (to start with)
  • Manual transmission available
  • Modern enough to have airbags and ABS
  • Maybe a little soapy looking, but lots of options to change that
Indy - Guy
Indy - Guy UltimaDork
9/5/24 3:28 p.m.

TR7 is angular and fits the objectives.

Take a peak in my "garage" here on the forum:

PerniciousLies
PerniciousLies New Reader
9/5/24 3:38 p.m.

I'm biased, but a C4 Corvette meets your criteria. You could also consider a mini truck. I've been digging a turbo'd Mitsubishi Mighty Max lately, but any flavor of imported or domestic mini truck could be a good time.

a_florida_man
9/5/24 4:35 p.m.

You guys are awesome... this crowd never disappoints!

Budget is variable.... I don't mind spending a little to promote a good 1st car experience.

Low prices are cool for interesting projects, as we  aren't afraid of work!

Moderate prices for cars in better shape are fine as well. 

it's more about the experience than the budget and we aren't afraid of prices or projects.

We are in North Central Florida near Gainesville, but I have a big equipment trailer with a winch and a 2500 suburban so we can roll up and haul off any sized grass killer in the southeast.

Thanks again to all for the input. I'll be looking this over more closely when I get home!

an el camino with buckets is a 2-seater.

and it can carry kegs.

wvumtnbkr
wvumtnbkr GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
9/5/24 5:06 p.m.

Bbrass's 330 bmw.  6 speed manual.  Needs some minor touches here and there.  In your price range.

Iirc, it's a 2008.

Dusterbd13-michael
Dusterbd13-michael MegaDork
9/5/24 5:15 p.m.
wvumtnbkr
wvumtnbkr GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
9/5/24 5:32 p.m.

In reply to Dusterbd13-michael :

Hnnngggg....   that is sweet!

tb
tb Dork
9/5/24 6:48 p.m.

If he is interested in the z32 generation I would cut him a really good deal on mine; sounds like the kind of owner it needs and I am not really using it...

It took me some horse trading but by halfway through my senior year of HS I had my (first) 280zx turbo and it was a E36 M3 box but I loved it.

a_florida_man
9/5/24 7:47 p.m.

In reply to tb :pm sent

a_florida_man
9/5/24 7:48 p.m.

In reply to Dusterbd13-michael :

Hell, I want a 720 PU... lol

a_florida_man
9/5/24 7:49 p.m.

In reply to wvumtnbkr :

Love BMW's 

Not scared either... owned a z3. it was REALLY well made.

a_florida_man
9/5/24 7:50 p.m.
AngryCorvair (Forum Supporter) said:

an el camino with buckets is a 2-seater.

and it can carry kegs.

Dude... thats me all day long... but I don't think it is Jack.

Im trying very hard to make this his!

a_florida_man
9/5/24 7:52 p.m.

In reply to PerniciousLies :

Im not sure that C4's are on the list. I think he has seen one too many turned inside out around here...

a_florida_man
9/5/24 7:53 p.m.
Indy - Guy said:

TR7 is angular and fits the objectives.

Take a peak in my "garage" here on the forum:

Yes

Yes it does... that a really nice car....

a_florida_man
9/5/24 7:54 p.m.

In reply to ShawneeCreek :

Hmmm Ill run it by him...

a_florida_man
9/5/24 7:55 p.m.

In reply to iansane :

Yeah

2nd and 3rd gen f bodies could certainly make the cut.

1 2 3 ... 6

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
cvXvzxoOHlke9dF4GRjbk32bzUdrQgZOxUIq9ofaYDNktlTi5dnHjU30hXOmRp8X