1 ... 98 99 100 101 102 ... 159
Rufledt
Rufledt UltraDork
5/13/16 12:58 p.m.

Nothing you can't handle! Why is it moving always ends up like that? you would have to think the stains would be a sign for the previous owners to do something. Then again, you would think giant puddles of oil under my van would be a sign, too. I mean, other than to just add more oil...

Stefan (Not Bruce)
Stefan (Not Bruce) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
5/13/16 1:53 p.m.

The windows could simply be someone leaving the windows open and allowing water in. Hopefully you're that lucky.

Why does the door need to be replaced?

Whats wrong with the light in the kitchen?

tuna55
tuna55 MegaDork
5/13/16 2:04 p.m.
Stefan (Not Bruce) wrote: The windows could simply be someone leaving the windows open and allowing water in. Hopefully you're that lucky. Why does the door need to be replaced? Whats wrong with the light in the kitchen?

Water is getting in that window, and there are signs of caulk sloppily thrown all over it. Another window is also leaking. It turns out that none of them were attached properly nor sealed properly, so we're paying $3K for someone to do them all.

The door is just a preference and age thing, the plastics are all yellow and brittle, some of the plastics have broken and fallen off and are rattling around inside the window panes, etc.

The light is just super ugly.

maschinenbau
maschinenbau GRM+ Memberand Reader
5/13/16 2:14 p.m.

Agreed, that light is pretty bad.

Dusterbd13
Dusterbd13 PowerDork
5/13/16 2:19 p.m.

I think the light is nifty.

But then again, I'm a mopar guy with an el Camino.

BrokenYugo
BrokenYugo UltimaDork
5/13/16 2:22 p.m.
Stefan (Not Bruce) wrote: Why does the door need to be replaced?

Think like a burglar. At the very least it needs a double cylinder deadbolt on it.

tuna55
tuna55 MegaDork
5/13/16 2:25 p.m.
Dusterbd13 wrote: I think the light is nifty. But then again, I'm a mopar guy with an el Camino.

It's yours. Come get it.

volvoclearinghouse
volvoclearinghouse SuperDork
5/13/16 8:14 p.m.

Still following. I have nothing pertinent or helpful to add, only smart assed comments about how our 150+ year-old-home laughs at your "new home" problems.

Sine_Qua_Non
Sine_Qua_Non Dork
5/13/16 8:47 p.m.
tuna55 wrote: I'm not going to turn this into a house thread, but I'll give you an idea of what we're up against. So far, we have assembled a bunch of furniture, changed the fan in the screen room, took down lots of blinds and added lots of curtains, swapped ranges (HVAC guy ran a gas line for us), swapped dishwashers, swapped refrigerators, swapped thermostats, added our alarm system, got a new bed for Tunakid #4, new faucets in master bathroom, new lights in master bathroom, painted wall in master bathroom, added various kitchen drawer organizers, hangers, clips and knobs, and a few other doodads that I am forgetting. Here is the master shower that we suspect is elaking: Untitled New curtains: Untitled This work in progress is going to be a kitchen island. We're not sticking with the cardboard top (CAD!!) but rather searching out a walnut solution. The kitchen already has a small island, but this one will add storage space and replace the kitchen table. You will be able to sit at it. Untitled Scary stains over the kitchen: Untitled New lights and faucets in the master. I painted this wall last night. Untitled This has to go: Untitled Scary painted over stains in the laundry room: Untitled This door has to be replaced: Untitled Scary water damage to the sill of a window in the stairway: Untitled Second windowsill in the same area: Untitled

I just installed the EXACT same lights last Friday for Mother's Day in the kitchen. My wife loves it. She wish it came with two more of those lights. Ain't cheap either but I found it at HD as open box clearance for $20 vs $139 new and it PITA to install because the power supply strip is heavy as heck.

http://m.homedepot.com/p/Hampton-Bay-10-ft-Stainless-Steel-Line-Voltage-Flexible-Track-Lighting-Fixture-Kit-with-5-Mesh-Shade-EC9580BA/202051411

OHSCrifle
OHSCrifle GRM+ Memberand Dork
5/13/16 9:07 p.m.

This house seems to need a 2nd house worth of stuff.. So maybe your original plan is working

volvoclearinghouse
volvoclearinghouse SuperDork
5/14/16 8:14 p.m.
OHSCrifle wrote: This house seems to need a 2nd house worth of stuff.. So maybe your original plan is working

Time for a parts house!

Mad_Ratel
Mad_Ratel HalfDork
5/16/16 2:15 p.m.

WTF happened to a pre-inspection finding this E36 M3? ...

FYI, look up the butcherblock table from IKEA. It's chamfered but nothing a table saw could not rip off and leave you with a pretty yet cheap island. (GERTON 61"x29.5") I used them for my garage counter tops.

tuna55
tuna55 MegaDork
5/16/16 2:23 p.m.
Mad_Ratel wrote: WTF happened to a pre-inspection finding this E36 M3? ... FYI, look up the butcherblock table from IKEA. It's chamfered but nothing a table saw could not rip off and leave you with a pretty yet cheap island. (GERTON 61"x29.5") I used them for my garage counter tops.

We got the butcher block on order from Lumber Liquidators.

Home inspection missed the stains (though they are dry, so we would have probably proceeded anyway), mis-identified the sill rot as sun damage, and the super-leaky window gives very little indication unless it rains hard or you lean on it.

I'm re-doing a toilet tonight, to check and re-seal.

The shower is next week. That's a big job.

Almost finished with garden beds

back door on the radar, also big job

Dusterbd13
Dusterbd13 PowerDork
5/16/16 2:35 p.m.

By the way, if you need or want a set of vortec heads, I now have a pair of them for cheap.

tuna55
tuna55 MegaDork
5/16/16 2:38 p.m.
Dusterbd13 wrote: By the way, if you need or want a set of vortec heads, I now have a pair of them for cheap.

Right now, unless you have the heads and intake for $0 delivered, it's too expensive!!

Thanks though, our timing just keep stinking. I'm in DEEP financial difficulties here with the house. Nothing to spend on the truck for a long time.

Dusterbd13
Dusterbd13 PowerDork
5/16/16 4:42 p.m.

Fair enough. Figured I'd offer.

tuna55
tuna55 MegaDork
5/24/16 10:10 a.m.

Garden beds, including a working shot of yours truly, taken by an unknown Tunakid, and two Tunakids posing as plants.

Untitled

Untitled

Untitled

Tunakid #1 does a great job with putty and an orbital sander, and we made this bench for the hobby room

Untitled

Untitled

Untitled

And the new kitchen island got some new trim and some other doodads

Untitled

Unfortunately, the water line to the refrigerator leaked, and caused a big mess. We're drying that up now.

Window guys come June 7.

Dusterbd13
Dusterbd13 PowerDork
5/24/16 10:19 a.m.

Was the house vacant for a while? Sounds like when we bought ours. Apparently when the water is shut off for an extended period, the pipes create their own leaks.

wvumtnbkr
wvumtnbkr GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
5/24/16 10:25 a.m.

Does the house have ac? I have seen similar water damage from incorrectly installed window units....

dculberson
dculberson UberDork
5/24/16 12:57 p.m.
BrokenYugo wrote:
Think like a burglar. At the very least it needs a double cylinder deadbolt on it.

Double cylinder deadbolts are not very safe, and especially not safe in a house full of kids that might need to be evacuated in a hurry.

tuna55
tuna55 MegaDork
5/24/16 1:05 p.m.
Dusterbd13 wrote: Was the house vacant for a while? Sounds like when we bought ours. Apparently when the water is shut off for an extended period, the pipes create their own leaks.

Nope - was occupied by a family. A negligent one.

tuna55
tuna55 MegaDork
5/24/16 1:15 p.m.
wvumtnbkr wrote: Does the house have ac? I have seen similar water damage from incorrectly installed window units....

No window units, original HVAC units from 1998.

tuna55
tuna55 MegaDork
5/24/16 1:16 p.m.
dculberson wrote:
BrokenYugo wrote:
Double cylinder deadbolts are not very safe, and especially not safe in a house full of kids that might need to be evacuated in a hurry.

Agreed!!!!

tester
tester New Reader
5/24/16 5:04 p.m.

In reply to tuna55:

The house is coming along nicely.

I will say that anyone buying a home should always go through the house with the inspector. That gives you the opportunity to ask questions and point out issues.

Our new home did not have too many problems, but we were able to catch a few items by being on site with the inspector. The big one was a cut gas line for the gas logs, seriously scary.

tuna55
tuna55 MegaDork
5/24/16 6:41 p.m.
tester wrote: In reply to tuna55: The house is coming along nicely. I will say that anyone buying a home should always go through the house with the inspector. That gives you the opportunity to ask questions and point out issues. Our new home did not have too many problems, but we were able to catch a few items by being on site with the inspector. The big one was a cut gas line for the gas logs, seriously scary.

I totally went through the house for four hours with the inspector.

1 ... 98 99 100 101 102 ... 159

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
0QJaI8kqYwtdJTOsI8U3klGLlZORhej5oN6TdfUQyb16Q0QxEFcimsKHxrwgKOaw