1 ... 75 76 77 78 79 ... 159
Mad_Ratel
Mad_Ratel Reader
1/19/15 5:19 p.m.

Glad to see you working out there. Today was goregous.

I found a 1968 f100 yesterday but was 1 hour short of buying it. running/driving manual for 500 dollars. :(

Dusterbd13
Dusterbd13 SuperDork
1/19/15 5:43 p.m.

What are you looking for mad?

Mad_Ratel
Mad_Ratel Reader
1/19/15 6:01 p.m.

right now? something I can play with. for 500 bucks if I had decided to stop i could have sold parts and recouped my money...

I love the idea of a truck to play with. Or a car. Etc. lol.

I actually regret selling my 96 thunderbird. made a profit on it, but that car suited my redneck quite well.

it just needs to be fun to drive and work on. v8 mandatory and it'd be nice if it's a manual... Some kind of wagon would be cool...

dropstep
dropstep Reader
1/19/15 6:02 p.m.

just caught back up and I must say this really makes me miss my old truck. I never thought about actually making it fun to drive. thats always been mini truck territory for me!

tuna55
tuna55 UltimaDork
1/19/15 7:04 p.m.

In reply to Mad_Ratel:

This one?

http://greenville.craigslist.org/cto/4848660399.html

tuna55
tuna55 UltimaDork
1/19/15 7:05 p.m.

In reply to dropstep:

Well I hope it will be fun to drive. This is uncharted territory for me.

Mad_Ratel
Mad_Ratel Reader
1/19/15 7:12 p.m.
tuna55 wrote: In reply to Mad_Ratel: This one? http://greenville.craigslist.org/cto/4848660399.html

yup, called him sunday at 9am and apparently it was gone. I had looked on friday but only at f100 not fords. I'll patiently keep searching everymorning until I find something. Oddly enough, I'm a chevy guy, but both cars we have now are ford. (mustang was the wife's dream and the edge was the best option and I got a heck of a deal on it...)

tuna55
tuna55 UltimaDork
1/19/15 10:22 p.m.

Sorry dude. It looks solid. I'll keep an eye out for you.

I did get to the garage but my picture machine died quickly. Essentially I took off the drivers side arms and drove out the ball joints with s bfh.

volvoclearinghouse
volvoclearinghouse Dork
1/20/15 6:52 a.m.

Love that gen of old Ford trucks. Ida snapped that up in a heartbeat.

volvoclearinghouse
volvoclearinghouse Dork
1/20/15 7:59 a.m.

Some random inspiration

tuna55
tuna55 UltimaDork
1/20/15 8:58 a.m.

In reply to volvoclearinghouse:

Saw that, and wondered, in this order:

I could do that!
Actually the suspension I am designing is going to be pretty good...
I may need to get a bigger wheel and lower profile tires for racing occasionally
I wonder how much wheel spacer or offset change I could get to push the corners out
I wonder how wide of a tire will fit under there
What is that going to do to the steering effort of that poor unassisted box?
Gosh that looks nice
Well, his is painted
And I guess, it's finished
And mine... isn't.

bgkast
bgkast GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
1/20/15 9:19 a.m.
tuna55 wrote: Well, his is painted And I guess, it's finished And mine... isn't.

...yet.

tuna55
tuna55 UltimaDork
1/20/15 9:49 a.m.
bgkast wrote:
tuna55 wrote: Well, his is painted And I guess, it's finished And mine... isn't.
...yet.

Struggling to stay motivated just now. It's tough to be really careful with all of the details with so many things yet to tackle.

Still that nasty B pillar spot to figure out, and it's right at eye level bugging me when I go out there

Still a big "?" about the engine funding

Still have an unresolved rub with the fuel vent flex hose

Still have to figure out brakes

Still have to finish painting the front end stuff

Still have to learn how to interior

Still have to learn how to paint

Still have to do brake lines

Still have to do Duster's sweet headlight mod

---------------taking FOREVER!!!

Dusterbd13
Dusterbd13 SuperDork
1/20/15 10:01 a.m.

One system at a time. Helps keep from getting overwhelmed.

Do the b pillar next. Get it out of your head.

NOHOME
NOHOME UltraDork
1/20/15 10:28 a.m.

Tuna: You being an engineer and all, I don't need to tell you how to run a project, but anyways...

Pick one item off the list, One that you know you can cross-off and do it with available resources. Call that the project. Then do it.

Until you finish the one project, the rest of the items on the list are an un-needed distraction.

Then do another project.

You might also be due for a break from the whole thing. Provides some perspective.

tuna55
tuna55 UltimaDork
1/20/15 10:34 a.m.
NOHOME wrote: You might also be due for a break from the whole thing. Provides some perspective.

You're right. I am doing just that, or close to it, but it's still tough.

I had a break. December. If you look back, hardly anything got done in December, now I am mad at the break and having trouble getting back into the rhythm.

Fear not, I'll still get back in. I have purchased all of the front end stuff I need except for the upper bumpstops that I broke yesterday. It's just a matter of temperature until it's a roller again. I have some F body calipers coming (Thanks Michael!) to try out, and then the front end gets buttoned up again.

The B pillar is still an unknown, but it needs to be handled somehow, but it and a dozen other smaller jobs are next.

NOHOME
NOHOME UltraDork
1/20/15 10:44 a.m.
tuna55 wrote:
NOHOME wrote: You might also be due for a break from the whole thing. Provides some perspective.
You're right. I am doing just that, or close to it, but it's still tough. I had a break. December. If you look back, hardly anything got done in December, now I am mad at the break and having trouble getting back into the rhythm. Fear not, I'll still get back in. I have purchased all of the front end stuff I need except for the upper bumpstops that I broke yesterday. It's just a matter of temperature until it's a roller again. I have some F body calipers coming (Thanks Michael!) to try out, and then the front end gets buttoned up again. The B pillar is still an unknown, but it needs to be handled somehow, but it and a dozen other smaller jobs are next.

December is never a break in my opinion. Way too much E36 M3 going on during that month to be able to relax and get perspective on anything.

Jerry From LA
Jerry From LA Dork
1/20/15 11:13 a.m.
tuna55 wrote: Struggling to stay motivated just now. It's tough to be really careful with all of the details with so many things yet to tackle. Still a big "?" about the engine funding

Once you get the bodywork done, buy a used engine that runs decently, clean it up, and make the thing move under its own power. While the truck is actually useful, you can build the engine you want slowly and stay within your means. A moving truck will provide all the impetus you need to finish it. You can even use it to haul engine parts.

tuna55
tuna55 UltimaDork
1/20/15 11:15 a.m.
Jerry From LA wrote:
tuna55 wrote: Struggling to stay motivated just now. It's tough to be really careful with all of the details with so many things yet to tackle. Still a big "?" about the engine funding
Once you get the bodywork done, buy a used engine that runs decently, clean it up, and make the thing move under its own power. While the truck is actually useful, you can build the engine you want slowly and stay within your means. A moving truck will provide all the impetus you need to finish it. You can even use it to haul engine parts.

That's not a bad plan.

Dusterbd13
Dusterbd13 SuperDork
1/20/15 11:34 a.m.

Tbi 350!

Mad_Ratel
Mad_Ratel Reader
1/20/15 12:02 p.m.

lol duster.!

cv swap? (recently discovered you can do that with the chevies too.)

Dusterbd13
Dusterbd13 SuperDork
1/20/15 12:27 p.m.

Cv swap?

volvoclearinghouse
volvoclearinghouse Dork
1/20/15 12:59 p.m.

Rotary?

Mad_Ratel
Mad_Ratel Reader
1/20/15 1:07 p.m.
Dusterbd13 wrote: Cv swap?

Crown Victoria front end. it's a near bolt in for the f100's but some more massaging is done for the chevy's. Gives you individual front suspension setup that was designed for about the same curb weight, modern disc brakes, modern steering rack, newer choices for go fast goodies. etc... oh and you can bolt in a mod motor... (since the mod motor mounts bolt direction to the portion.)

one of dese.

Dusterbd13
Dusterbd13 SuperDork
1/20/15 1:14 p.m.

Ok. Know what you are talking about now. Looked at doing that on my niece truck.

1 ... 75 76 77 78 79 ... 159

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
E2igNBf3c93fJXEQVT3gQdlVjc0bVOBCw8bjIMy6VzCOKPWBMUL6O9cOEiz4iCpB