1 ... 78 79 80 81 82 ... 159
tuna55
tuna55 UltimaDork
2/4/15 12:51 p.m.

The first night ya'll missed is right after the balljoint extravaganza. I got into work, knowing full well that my knees would be unhappy with me all day because I did a lot of kneeling. Unfortunately, three steps out of the car I was stuck. It took until 11 o' clock or so until I could walk normally.

Thus, I set about grinding the crud off of the other spindle and stuff old man style.

Untitled

Look at the difference though, between the clean spots here and the rest

Those parts got removed, cleaned and painted. No pics of that. Last night I tore apart the steering stuff, which looks to be in good shape. I will keep the pitman and idler arms.

I am almost ready to reassemble

java230
java230 New Reader
2/5/15 1:22 p.m.

Just read the whole thing.... Killed a day at work! Keep it up!

bgkast
bgkast GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
2/5/15 2:41 p.m.

Shiny parts!

tuna55
tuna55 UltimaDork
2/6/15 8:11 a.m.

This was way harder than it should have been:

Untitled

The control arm was limited by the shaft U bolt in terms of forward location. What that means is that I am very glad I had machinist neighbor Jim drill a couple of locating holes on each shaft. The max caster hole (roughly 7/8" forward) was way too far, and the second hole (roughly 3/4") required a bit of fitting to both pieces.

Also, holy crap those Monomax dampers are stiff. I could not compress or extend them when held (by the pin, folks) in a vice. I thought they were broken.

You're probably saying "Wait, why are you writing "roughly" when you had a machinist drill these on a mill?", well sure. He precisely located them relative to the original holes 1/2" and 5/8" away, but the original holes on the replacement control arm shafts were not where the original holes were on the original control arm shafts.

I'll figure out the real caster angle later on, and I can always change if I need to.

tuna55
tuna55 UltimaDork
2/11/15 8:58 a.m.

I have been working, but have been crazy busy with this, work, and a few other home projects have kept me from making a real update.

The short story is that the drivers side is done, the steering gear is off, cleaned, and painted, and awaiting reinstallation.

I suspect the engine will come out next week if I can figure out how to get an engine hoist from my buddy's house.

Mad_Ratel
Mad_Ratel Reader
2/11/15 11:21 a.m.
tuna55 wrote: I have been working, but have been crazy busy with this, work, and a few other home projects have kept me from making a real update. The short story is that the drivers side is done, the steering gear is off, cleaned, and painted, and awaiting reinstallation. I suspect the engine will come out next week if I can figure out how to get an engine hoist from my buddy's house.

call me crazy, but that's what you got a truck for!

Dusterbd13
Dusterbd13 SuperDork
2/11/15 11:36 a.m.

And a neighbor like mad that also has a truck!

NOHOME
NOHOME UltraDork
2/11/15 11:44 a.m.

Nice! Good to see stuff assembled. I can only dream of the day.

Whatever that red wire is above the A-arm and looped around the frame, you might want to give it some attention

tuna55
tuna55 UltimaDork
2/11/15 11:48 a.m.
NOHOME wrote: Nice! Good to see stuff assembled. I can only dream of the day. Whatever that red wire is above the A-arm and looped around the frame, you might want to give it some attention

Once there is a battery tray, and a battery, I'll connect it and make it happy!

Dusterbd13
Dusterbd13 SuperDork
2/11/15 12:13 p.m.

A lawnmower battery will not reliably crank a small block chevy, just in case you were thinking about weight reduction.

tuna55
tuna55 UltimaDork
2/11/15 12:23 p.m.
Dusterbd13 wrote: A lawnmower battery will not reliably crank a small block chevy, just in case you were thinking about weight reduction.

Stupidly, although necessarily, I bought four brand new tires and a rather pricey battery for the truck about three months before I parked it.

Mad_Ratel
Mad_Ratel Reader
2/11/15 1:13 p.m.
Dusterbd13 wrote: And a neighbor like mad that also has a truck!

the dude quit texting me back after he gave me a plethora of information on that truck. Still steaming over it.

Mad_Ratel
Mad_Ratel Reader
2/11/15 1:13 p.m.

But I do have an edge with a tow hitch if you need some ass-istance. (I also have one of those load plate things that can carry 500lbs.)

Dusterbd13
Dusterbd13 SuperDork
2/11/15 1:16 p.m.

See tuna, I solved your problem by volunteering someone else to do it!

I think I'm running for president.

tuna55
tuna55 UltimaDork
2/11/15 1:25 p.m.
Dusterbd13 wrote: See tuna, I solved your problem by volunteering someone else to do it! I think I'm running for president.

I would vote for you as often as possible.

I think I wrangled a helpless buddy to help me load another helpless buddy's tools to my house. Stay tuned.

tuna55
tuna55 UltimaDork
2/16/15 10:27 a.m.

Work continues, but it's not glorious.

Upper damper mount removed from passenger side, replacements ordered.

Fixed the passenger side spring since it was not rotated in its perch properly.

Roughed in position of front swaybar, clamped on bushings, will source tabs to weld onto control arms next.

Reattached steering box. Lost pitman arm (seriously!) discovered gnarled idler arm threads.

tuna55
tuna55 UltimaDork
2/17/15 8:55 a.m.

Could not make the swaybar fit without these:

Now I just hope they get here soon.

Dusterbd13
Dusterbd13 SuperDork
2/17/15 9:13 a.m.

How's the weather your way? We've got a half inch of ice, and stuck at the house.

And I've had to buy brackets like that before. Sure, I could have made them, but for the money i couldn't justify the time.

tuna55
tuna55 UltimaDork
2/17/15 9:21 a.m.

Same deal, for $20 there is no way I can replicate them.

1/4" of ice. Work is open but I am doing the work from home, and it sucks. Tunakids are annoying Tunawife and Tunawife is not taking it well.

Dusterbd13
Dusterbd13 SuperDork
2/17/15 10:27 a.m.

same here, man. same here. im thinking of taking my computer, phone, and coffee pot to the garage. then I may actually get something done.

unfortunately these no heat down there. may be worth it though.

Mad_Ratel
Mad_Ratel Reader
2/17/15 10:43 a.m.
tuna55 wrote: Same deal, for $20 there is no way I can replicate them. 1/4" of ice. Work is open but I am doing the work from home, and it sucks. Tunakids are annoying Tunawife and Tunawife is not taking it well.

gotta stay home and look after the kiddo since I have more pto saved up. wife only just managed to drive to work, she says the highway still has ice and all the bridges are covered up still. she'll be home before dark and i'd suggest a delay tomorrow to let the ice melt.

tuna55
tuna55 UltimaDork
2/18/15 8:25 a.m.

Quite a purchasing frenzy

New pitman arm and idler arm, I couldn't justify not replacing them. I feel a bit silly, but oh well.

New gallon of Chassis Saver

Sway bar brackets since the bushings want to live on the kinked portion of the frame (pics to come)

This will delay the 'engine-out' somewhat, but it's okay.

wheelsmithy
wheelsmithy GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
2/18/15 10:02 a.m.

Steely Dan...

tuna55 wrote:
pres589 wrote: The band was named after a steam powered device.
You got it! It's mythical, I think. Thanks for the inspiration

I thought it was a metal uh, lady pleasuring device.

tuna55
tuna55 UltimaDork
2/18/15 10:07 a.m.
wheelsmithy wrote: Steely Dan...
tuna55 wrote:
pres589 wrote: The band was named after a steam powered device.
You got it! It's mythical, I think. Thanks for the inspiration
I thought it was a metal uh, lady pleasuring device.

Yeah, a steam powered one.

tuna55
tuna55 UltimaDork
2/18/15 10:20 a.m.

I forgot to mention my upper damper mounts. Also shipping to me. Weird to buy so many parts when I bought nothing in January. Tunawife is having fits.

1 ... 78 79 80 81 82 ... 159

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
F0BA52cPSWCJSQlCv4QgO1lNp0Qn151pxolwPHuheR5MbmMF57yfgT5vFbyDvByP