1 ... 91 92 93 94 95 ... 159
BrokenYugo
BrokenYugo UltimaDork
2/10/16 11:35 p.m.

In reply to sirrichardpumpaloaf:

Works? probably. I'm told it's hard on the dishwasher though. The great thing to dip carbs in now is supposedly pine sol mixed 50/50 with water.

NOHOME
NOHOME PowerDork
2/11/16 5:22 a.m.

Actually, I dont expect the dishwasher would be very effective. Wrong detergent for the job and the jets are both directionally fixed and not all that powerful.

RedGT
RedGT Reader
2/11/16 7:15 a.m.
ssswitch wrote: Can you use Eastwood Internal Frame Coat? I used it on some rockers, seemed to do the trick. http://www.eastwood.com/internal-frame-coating-w-spray-nozzle.html Hose is good for other stuff too, if you can get it in spray can form.

+1, That's what I thought of as well.

tuna55
tuna55 MegaDork
2/11/16 7:17 a.m.
RedGT wrote:
ssswitch wrote: Can you use Eastwood Internal Frame Coat? I used it on some rockers, seemed to do the trick. http://www.eastwood.com/internal-frame-coating-w-spray-nozzle.html Hose is good for other stuff too, if you can get it in spray can form.

I sort of wish that I knew of this product when I finished the rockers and roof. I used that spray wax in there instead. The right answer is probably the Eastwood product followed by the wax, but it's too late now.

NOHOME
NOHOME PowerDork
2/11/16 7:51 a.m.
tuna55 wrote:
RedGT wrote:
I sort of wish that I knew of this product when I finished the rockers and roof. I used that spray wax in there instead. The right answer is probably the Eastwood product followed by the wax, but it's too late now.

How much wet weather is this going to see and how long do you plan to live? I think you should be good.

tuna55
tuna55 MegaDork
2/11/16 8:40 a.m.
NOHOME wrote:
tuna55 wrote:
RedGT wrote:
How much wet weather is this going to see and how long do you plan to live? I think you should be good.

Agreed, but as an engineer, a paint followed by a wax makes more sense than just wax. Also, obviously, wax followed by paint won't work very well.

NOHOME
NOHOME PowerDork
2/11/16 9:20 a.m.

Tuna:

Word of advice. My College room mate went on to become a family doctor. She informs me that when Engineers comes in with a serious ailment we tend to die of it.

Seems we are incurable.

tuna55
tuna55 MegaDork
2/11/16 9:32 a.m.
NOHOME wrote: Tuna: Word of advice. My College room mate went on to become a family doctor. She informs me that when Engineers comes in with a serious ailment we tend to die of it. Seems we are incurable.

I don't think I realized that you were an engineer. Engineers don't often end up with a wife like the one in your avatar.

It makes sense, after reading your build thread, though. Perhaps I knew and then forgot about your career in some long-long ago time.

Anyway yeah, the engineer in me is why I had to modify, not just install basically everything. The cool part is that essentially none of my modifications were off-the-shelf solutions. I think you're familiar with this, yes? I don't know of an aftermarket offering for "1800ES-Miata-302" conversion kits.

SkinnyG
SkinnyG Dork
2/11/16 9:45 a.m.
BrokenYugo wrote: The great thing to dip carbs in now is supposedly pine sol mixed 50/50 with water.

It works really well, but keep an eye on it. The Pinesol mix will remove the protective coating on the pot metal if you wait long enough. Like within a day on the Holley I dipped.

NOHOME
NOHOME PowerDork
2/11/16 11:48 a.m.

Tuna:

I am a bit of an exception in the engineering world in that I have dual diplomas in Electrical Engineering and English literature. Most of what I have done career-wise is on a scale of ridiculousness similar to the Molvo project.

tuna55
tuna55 MegaDork
2/11/16 11:52 a.m.
NOHOME wrote: Tuna: I am a bit of an exception in the engineering world in that I have dual diplomas in Electrical Engineering and English literature. Most of what I have done career-wise is on a scale of ridiculousness similar to the Molvo project.

I see.

I have a dual degree too, but mine are in Mechanical engineering and Applied physics.

Also, love that you use "ridiculousness" and "career-wise" after saying you're an English major.

ssswitch
ssswitch HalfDork
2/11/16 2:08 p.m.

A little cavity wax after the Eastwood won't hurt, but I have no direct experience with anything that's not Noxudol.

tuna55
tuna55 MegaDork
2/12/16 7:14 a.m.

Man, I feel like E36 M3.

I went and worked anyway.

First order of business was to play with my manifolds, so I took off the parting lines, smoothed them a bit, and cleaned up the outlet with the die grinder.

Then I used my die grinder and my trusty use-it-if-you-really-have-to thick grinding wheel, which is really made for cement, and bought on accident, but never ever wears out. It also throws the nastiest shards at you. This is helpful when it's directly above your face, and you can't wear the LED headlight, the goggles and the face shield at the same time.

I had to grind off the rust and the Chassis Saver on some tough to get to pieces. I don't own a sanding drum for the die grinder. So I made one!

So then I had to figure out how to light the weld up. For some reason, I had not yet replaced the bulb in the standing flashlight, so I was using the LED headlight exclusively. This is hard when welding. This is the closest I came to something workable.

But then it just fell down my neck and was useless. I did most of the welding blind.

Yes, the cab support is done. No, I am not showing the world what the result looks like unless I really have to.

tuna55
tuna55 MegaDork
2/13/16 6:44 a.m.

I spent all night bumping the door around so I can be sure about adding material to close up the gap a bit. That comes next!!

XLR99
XLR99 GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
2/13/16 9:17 a.m.
tuna55 wrote:

Please tell me you used this opportunity to scare the bejeezus out of at least one of the kids and/or wife .

Seriously, though, that headlight looks a lot like a couple of the bike light/headlights I have; can you do something with either zip ties or double sided tape on the helmet?

tuna55
tuna55 MegaDork
2/15/16 7:32 a.m.

In reply to XLR99:

Nah, everyone was already in bed.

Sorry for the no-update situation. I'll fix that soon.

tuna55
tuna55 MegaDork
2/19/16 6:59 a.m.

So I'm still nursing a fun sinus thing, and we've had lots of little nightly things going on, including more work on the XJ of doom in the other thread.

Last night I got some work done while Tunawife caught a campaign stop down here with a freind. I spent an hour and a half or so welding on the B pillar. Here is "in process"

Essentially, I'm closing up that gap with weld wire, and making everything flatter and smooth to minimize filler use. GM didn't do a great job here, and I am working hard to make it decent looking. Seeing as I put the rockers there, and therefore had to create the A and B pillar lines, and shaved the roof, it's pretty much all movable at this point. I want to get it right, so when it's warm enough, I am actually ready to paint the silly thing.

tuna55
tuna55 MegaDork
2/22/16 2:29 p.m.

It got warmer so I painted the starter and some other stuff!

Dusterbd13
Dusterbd13 UberDork
2/22/16 2:50 p.m.

If you are free Saturday I am going autocrossing in the El Camino I'd offer to echo drive a long time back and figured I'd offer

tuna55
tuna55 MegaDork
2/22/16 3:11 p.m.
Dusterbd13 wrote: If you are free Saturday I am going autocrossing in the El Camino I'd offer to echo drive a long time back and figured I'd offer

I don't know what 'echo drive' means...

But Saturday is the sidewalk sale 9AM, meaning I have all kids to myself, and the cardboard boat regatta 2-4 pm. What did you mean?

NOHOME
NOHOME PowerDork
2/22/16 3:12 p.m.

You are getting pretty good at knitting with MIG wire.

This thing is going to look SOOOOOOOooooo much nicer when you get a coat of epoxy primer on it.

tuna55
tuna55 MegaDork
2/22/16 3:27 p.m.

We are nearing that day. A few more hours with the grinder and it's ready for that coat. I have clearance to buy the filters and some other odds and ends, too. It's actually going to happen. The hard part is going to be making a dolly for the doors and the bed. I should probably do that soon.

Dusterbd13
Dusterbd13 UberDork
2/22/16 3:48 p.m.

Should have said Co drive. Damn talk to text. ...

I'll offer next time.

tuna55
tuna55 MegaDork
2/22/16 7:37 p.m.
Dusterbd13 wrote: Should have said Co drive. Damn talk to text. ... I'll offer next time.

Oh dude that does sound fun.

We should have a "worlds most unlikely auto cross" day where I drive the elky and you drive tuna truck. You know, when it's done and stuff.

Dusterbd13
Dusterbd13 UberDork
2/22/16 7:39 p.m.

That sounds fantabulous. Consider it done.

If the duster is back together, we may have a whole grm cam class to ourselves.

1 ... 91 92 93 94 95 ... 159

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
c5gow7HTZPZLz1cNNqnMJoIYiQ5RXDPIQwDvHZHikz8lNb2lvfT71csMVSa4IQQM