1 2
NY Nick
NY Nick GRM+ Memberand Dork
10/24/22 5:42 p.m.

In reply to 1SlowVW :

Looking good. I think the needs change over time and with the intent. What you might want or need for a weekend of boat racing versus what you might want for a quiet weekend may not be the same. What I needed last year versus next year may be different my kids are getting older (bigger). Right now we have a small-ish bunkhouse travel trailer. When the kids are out of wanting to camp it will be very different. 

I like the boldness of going in for the repair. I think a lot of people are scared away by a fix like that which sets you up to get a good deal!

1SlowVW
1SlowVW Dork
10/24/22 6:50 p.m.
NY Nick said:

In reply to 1SlowVW :

Looking good. I think the needs change over time and with the intent. What you might want or need for a weekend of boat racing versus what you might want for a quiet weekend may not be the same. What I needed last year versus next year may be different my kids are getting older (bigger). Right now we have a small-ish bunkhouse travel trailer. When the kids are out of wanting to camp it will be very different. 

I like the boldness of going in for the repair. I think a lot of people are scared away by a fix like that which sets you up to get a good deal!

I'm a terrible carpenter, but I went in expecting major surgery so to speak. This is more like day surgery, it may look intimidating but it was barely structural. I think it looked worse than it was and buddy selling it was very very picky with the camper. Caulked every seam every few years, new brakes and tires when the tires aged out, already replaced all bulbs with led...

He seemed happy I was going to fix it and gave me a price that reflected that. I honestly don't think he would have liked to sell it to someone who was just going to "use it until they fell through the floor."

Hopefully I'll have time tomorrow finish up laying the click vinyl. After that I'll wait for a nice day, there at 3 pinholes in the canvas that require  taping (bought some fancy tape) and then I'll wait until spring to recaulk the outside. 

I also think I'm not installing the step again. This thing is fairly low to the ground and I think I'll cut a piece of sheet metal then use some urathane to seal up the holes where it used to go through the membrane under the camper. 

1SlowVW
1SlowVW Dork
10/27/22 1:29 p.m.

Only one little trim filler piece on the cabinet side and the rest of the gaps should be covered by some 1/4 round along the bottom of the wall. 

1SlowVW
1SlowVW Dork
10/27/22 6:04 p.m.

Well, it seems my new plywood section by the door has an arch. So the vinyl feels squishy because it's not laying flat...

Do I glue the vinyl down? Shim the floor up? Live with it? Or ...?

Suggestions? 

1SlowVW
1SlowVW Dork
10/29/22 3:13 p.m.

So this is the forward drop down bunk, 2 ply laminated wood bonded to foam. It's gotten wet and the wood is rotted. Not entirely sure how I'm going to fix this just yet. 

vwcorvette (Forum Supporter)
vwcorvette (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand UberDork
10/29/22 4:20 p.m.

So what's happening to the van? Is it the tow vehicle? I missed that part.

1SlowVW
1SlowVW Dork
10/29/22 5:16 p.m.
vwcorvette (Forum Supporter) said:

So what's happening to the van? Is it the tow vehicle? I missed that part.

Van is being sold. 
They hydroplane is only a little over 10ft long and only weighs 110lbs so it can go on a ladder rack on a 11 Sierra I just picked up. 

edit:

new tow rig.

1SlowVW
1SlowVW Dork
10/29/22 5:50 p.m.

And because I'm shameless here's a picture of Flight Risk my hydroplane.

1SlowVW
1SlowVW Dork
10/30/22 12:31 p.m.

Went out today and bought a router. Going to try and skim off that rotten 1/4 and put fresh wood after the whole thing has a few days to air out. 

Edit: Router didn't come with any bits so a sharp knife, a putty knife and a small pry bar where the weapons of choice. 

1SlowVW
1SlowVW Dork
10/30/22 7:32 p.m.

Old water logged styrofoam has been cut out and I'll let this dry for a few days before I glue some new foam down and cover it in fresh plywood. 

de80q
de80q Reader
10/31/22 9:32 a.m.

You are giving me inspiration!  I have an old pop up that needs some work.  It's not terrible, but will basically need to come apart to do the work.  Keep at it, you will be using it before you know it.

RandolphCarter
RandolphCarter Reader
10/31/22 10:16 a.m.
1SlowVW said:

What sold me on this was the potential to have tent trailer quality leaks with all the problems of a larger trailer as well. 

Nothing better than having realistic expectations for a project.

rob_lewis
rob_lewis UberDork
10/31/22 10:25 a.m.

Looks like it's going well.  And, as you've noted, they are slapped together so hopefully taking a little extra time do do things "right" means it'll last you a long time. For me, I found trailers to be like a running project.  I used mine for cargo at first and over the years added tie downs, shelves, insulation, A/C, beds, etc.  I think i reconfigured it 3 or 4 times as my needs changed.  Was amazed at how dead simple they were to work on and how a weekend and a trip to the big box supply store got everything I needed fairly cheaply.  Also, those LED strip lights you can buy online that just stick to a surface are really inexpensive and make things much brighter to see. 

-Rob

ggarrard
ggarrard GRM+ Memberand Reader
10/31/22 11:04 a.m.

Instead of putting Styrofoam back down I suggest the solid sheets of closed foam insulation....they should be less likely to absorb water.  I used 1" thick sheets bought at Home Depot  for the ceiling in my popup...

Good luck

Gordon 

1SlowVW
1SlowVW Dork
10/31/22 12:30 p.m.
ggarrard said:

Instead of putting Styrofoam back down I suggest the solid sheets of closed foam insulation....they should be less likely to absorb water.  I used 1" thick sheets bought at Home Depot  for the ceiling in my popup...

Good luck

Gordon 

Good idea!

Rob,

Don't know if it will be built better but it should be more solid and Water tight. Really hoping this will be something we can get a couple years out if. 

1SlowVW
1SlowVW Dork
10/31/22 12:33 p.m.
de80q said:

You are giving me inspiration!  I have an old pop up that needs some work.  It's not terrible, but will basically need to come apart to do the work.  Keep at it, you will be using it before you know it.

It's already below freezing up here during the night, just want to have it ready to go in the spring. I can work on lots of stuff in the garage but this doesn't fit. 

1SlowVW
1SlowVW Dork
11/3/22 7:30 p.m.

Dried out, going to pick up some foam and spray adhesive tomorrow and reassemble this weekend. 

1SlowVW
1SlowVW Dork
11/5/22 4:49 p.m.

Dried out,cleaned out, glued in. The rest is just cosmetic. Time to get this thing sealed up for winter.  As suggested earlier this time it got closed cell foam so it can't soak up water like an old Boston whaler.

1SlowVW
1SlowVW Dork
11/11/22 7:06 p.m.

Freakishly warm seasonal temperatures have meant I didn't button this thing up until today. Few little spots on the outside I want to make sure as well sealed then it's half a dozen bars of Irish spring to keep the mice out until spring. 

1SlowVW
1SlowVW Dork
11/13/22 7:34 p.m.

What was left of hurricane Nicole just rolled through and I'm pleased to say that it doesn't seem any water is entering the camper at this time. I'll still recaulk the key seems in the spring as a preventative measure but I'm pleased with what I've achieved so far.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
bfH8Sv7Ssgh1I6Xz0P2PzgtqqIA0Wyh45BctQ6OUbk3nervwxZhnsKWyNxRjqm1S