1 2 3 4
fujioko
fujioko HalfDork
9/5/15 7:26 p.m.

My '96 Saturn SW-1 finally passed the ultimate POS threshold when the exhaust fell off a few days ago. The list of things wrong with the wagon is embarrassing when you consider I'm a decent mechanic. For the past few years, the wagon has pretty much been a garbage scow. The interior is covered with hydraulic fluid, kitty liter and cigarette butts. With 337K miles and years of deferred maintenance the car is beyond disgusting and is not fit for a dog to rid in.

So... time to buy another hooptie.

I really like Saturns because they are cheap and durable. After a few days of searching Craigslist, a 2002 SL with a SOHC and five speed caught my attention. Even though the SOHC engine is a slug, I prefer it. The five speed is absolutely necessary, because I never learned to drive an automatic.

$700.00 gets you this..... The car runs excellent and drives perfect!

Low miles and a half a tank of gas...that's what I'm talking about!

The car has some issues... it hit a guard rail. Blue duck tape is fine for a hooptie, but this is sort of an easy fix.

A quick search of the local pick & pull's online inventory indicated that they had 3rd gen Saturn in stock, unfortunately the color was listed as 'unknown'. 45 min latter this is what I found...Hmmm

UNKNOWN.... WTF?

Pick & pull was having a labor day weekend sale and everything was 50% off. The fender was $14.00. It will work until I can find a blue one.

The Miata is my only running vehicle and thankfully the fender was small enough to fit in the car. I always worry when I park outside a junkyard...My cars tend to questionable and could easily be mistaken for inventory...

Ok, let's take a look under the duck tape...It could be worse....

The bumper cover is berkeleyed.... however a little heat and some applied pressure usually gets 'em to look ok.

After some fiddling and whatnot, the bumper and fender looked good enough for now. I'll keep an eye out for a proper blue fender and bumper cover.

More to come...

etifosi
etifosi Dork
9/5/15 7:43 p.m.

Get a bunch of different colored panels and make a Saturn version of this, please:

fujioko
fujioko HalfDork
9/6/15 8:20 p.m.

In reply to etifosi:
LOL! that would be awesome!

fujioko
fujioko HalfDork
9/6/15 8:30 p.m.

Can't stand a dirty engine bay.... so off to the car wash for some cleaning.

that's better.

The base model cloth seats were ok, If nothing else, a little cleaning would get them spiffy again.... but this weekend was half off at the pick and pull so I pitched these seats and picked up a nicer set.

$24.00 gets you a full leather seating from a premium model Saturn.... not to shabby.

looking good!

more to come!

petegossett
petegossett GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
9/6/15 8:49 p.m.
etifosi wrote: Get a bunch of different colored panels and make a Saturn version of this, please:

VW peeps will pay quite a premium for a Harlequin model, wonder if Saturn people would too???

Caleb
Caleb Reader
9/7/15 4:22 a.m.

Just right down the the color code and take it to a local auto paint store, they should be able to mix you a decent single stage and put it in a spray can for 20-30 bucks... price varies

fujioko
fujioko HalfDork
9/7/15 5:04 p.m.

Saturn's are the modern day equivalent of the Model T. They are simple cars for simple folk. The only and greatest flaw is they burn oil. Luckily the oil burning issue was allegedly solved by the time my hooptie rolled down the assembly line. The S series still has a large online support forum and most issues can be solved with a google search.

Here are the rules......

So rule #3 is to replace the engine coolant sensor(ECT). The OEM sensor is plastic and will crack after a few years. A cracked sensor can fail completely and the ECU will think the engine is running -20 degrees or something like that. A replacement sensor should be brass.

This looks like an original plug....and its way past NFG.

regular NGK plugs are just what the doctor ordered.

The O2 sensor was probably original. Being a cheapskate, I swapped the O2 sensor from the wagon to the new car. The wagon sensor has about 3K miles on it.

The PO complained about insufficient heat last winter so its probably time to replace the thermostat. The cardboard tube is actually tool used to disengage the thermostat from the housing.

The thermostat is buried under the AC compressor. It's possible to change the thermostat without moving the compressor however its tough to see with what your doing.

Moving the compressor makes R&R of the thermostat so much easier.

The thermostat....you'll need the cardboard tube to get the thermostat off the housing.

The idler pulley was making some noise and I was feeling motivated ...so I actually did something about it.

Here is a new idler pulley that I bought for the wagon a few years ago...Whelp it ain't going in the wagon.

More to come!

fujioko
fujioko HalfDork
9/7/15 5:22 p.m.

In reply to Caleb: Hell yeah, The spray paint option is on my list. I figure if I cant find a blue fender in the next few weeks then I'll paint the white one.

Billy_Bottle_Caps
Billy_Bottle_Caps Dork
9/7/15 7:00 p.m.

In reply to fujioko:

Digging it man.. I am with you great car for the money..dead nuts reliable for cheap

DeadSkunk
DeadSkunk UltraDork
9/7/15 7:50 p.m.
fujioko wrote: In reply to Caleb: Hell yeah, The spray paint option is on my list. I figure if I cant find a blue fender in the next few weeks then I'll paint the white one.

I went to the local Auto Value parts store a week ago and had them mix up 3 aerosol cans for my Miata. One can readily painted a fender. The 3 cans cost $43, which I thought was pretty good value for colour matched paint.

fujioko
fujioko HalfDork
9/8/15 12:47 p.m.

In reply to DeadSkunk:

Cool, would this be the Auto Value on Baker road?

ProDarwin
ProDarwin UberDork
9/8/15 1:14 p.m.

Woah. I've never removed the A/C compressor to do the thermostat.

What noise was your idler making? I'm trying to track down a really annoying high pitched whine in my accessory drive somewhere.

fujioko
fujioko HalfDork
9/8/15 1:59 p.m.

In reply to ProDarwin: Yeah, moving the AC compressor is overkill for doing the thermostat. Its been a while since I did one and I figured I would try it this way.

The bad idler sounded like a power steering pump when it gets low on fluid. Sort of a constant whine. The new idler made a huge difference. I bought the idler for the wagon but never installed it. I think it was cheap... something like $20.00 or so.

ProDarwin
ProDarwin UberDork
9/8/15 2:02 p.m.

yeah, mine sounds similar to that... no evidence of wobble, and it doesn't make noise when I spin it by hand though. Noise prevalent at speed/RPM inside the cabin, but difficult to hear over the engine outside the cabin. Still trying to decide between it, tensioner, and alternator. Replacing all 3 for like $160 may be the best option to save me diagnosis time.

fujioko
fujioko HalfDork
9/8/15 3:01 p.m.

In reply to ProDarwin:
The idler had some wobble and felt rough when spun by hand. This one only had 118K miles and the one on the wagon started making noise at 300K.

BlueInGreen44
BlueInGreen44 HalfDork
9/8/15 3:09 p.m.

Cool. I'll be watching this thread for info.

fujioko
fujioko HalfDork
9/13/15 8:47 a.m.

So....

Tuesday rolled around and I got all my ducks in a row. Insurance, registration, put air in the tires so on and so fourth. I would be lying if I said I wasn't excited to take the car out for a spin......

Absolutely nothing wrong with the car. Starts and runs great, goes down the road without any worries....but the honest truth is I hate the car. This is the most boring car I have ever driven. If it wasn't for the five speed, the car would be totally unacceptable.

The new car is 1000% better than the old car...but isn't as fun.

Lumbering down the highway in a melancholy blue Saturn.. sigh. The sedan got 37.5 MPG on the first tank....yawn.

The car is so bland I had to artificially give the leather interior the proper aroma.

Stock up on Prozac if you attempt to drive the sedan version of a Saturn.

More to come!

fujioko
fujioko HalfDork
9/13/15 9:34 a.m.

The cost of boredom...

• $700 Car
  • 74.00 tax, title & plate
  • $34.00 Spark plugs, ECT and thermostat.
  • $14.00 fender
  • $24.00 leather interior
  • $0.00 oxygen sensor
  • $1.00 Artificial stink (air freshener)

$847.00
Not bad for a winter beater. Let's take a look at what it is replacing...

The wagon..

The wagon is woefully under powered just like the sedan, but it had personality.

Sparky!.. the solar powered cockroach permanently stuck in a wad of gum. I'll miss him.

More gum because no berkeleys were given.

Carpeting is soaked in hydraulic fluid, random wires from past experiments and a general disregard to preserving the car.
After 337K miles, this is actually the second interior... the first interior had major issues...

Rust and a stack of serious problems makes the wagon unsafe to drive..

more to come...

ssswitch
ssswitch HalfDork
9/13/15 10:50 a.m.

This is the point where you drill and tap the wagon's intake manifold for a dry 50-shot of nitrous and wire it to the horn button, right?

fujioko
fujioko HalfDork
9/13/15 11:06 a.m.

In reply to ssswitch:
Something like that
Stay tuned...

JAhmed
JAhmed Reader
9/13/15 2:57 p.m.

Wow, that engine bay cleaning made quite the difference...good work!

fujioko
fujioko HalfDork
9/14/15 1:45 p.m.

In reply to JAhmed:
Thanks!

It was literally no effort and took about 15 min to get it looking nice.

fujioko
fujioko HalfDork
10/11/15 3:57 p.m.

About time for a Saturn update....

Whelp, I still hate the car and I think I'll get rid of it next spring. Absolutely nothing wrong with it other than its a boring car.

Anyway, the white fender was troubling me so a grand effort was made to locate a proper blue one. A brief search yielded a blue 2002 Saturn at a Pick & Pull in Pontiac Michigan. Pontiac is a bit of a drive but i was up for an adventure.

After a long journey through the northern suburbs of Detroit I had arrived. The clouds parted and the brilliant rays of the sun shown down. My eyes beheld the mighty blue Saturn in all its glory.... or something like that.
In a furry of mechanical wizardry the blue Saturn was reduced to a pile of blue parts and unceremoniously carted off to the casher. $202.00 gets... Left front fender, Front bumper cover, rear bumper cover, left rear quarter panel, rear tail panel and two brand new tires mounted on Saturn rims. Somehow I managed to fit all this crap in to the El-Cheapo blue Saturn and hauled it back to headquarters.
White fender must go!

Fender and front bumper cover were cast off to the bottomless pit. Saturn's are stupid easy to take apart.

Behold the blue fender!

An undamaged bumper cover completes the front of the Saturn...

Stay tuned for more Saturn surgery...

Dusterbd13
Dusterbd13 UberDork
10/11/15 5:36 p.m.

A soul sucking appliance has it's place.

And I'm sure boost would make it better.

Billy_Bottle_Caps
Billy_Bottle_Caps Dork
10/11/15 7:16 p.m.

You should be able to drive it all winter--and get your money back. Not a bad deal..

1 2 3 4

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
NT0gkdJDXxEFRKba0eE7TOZ85EeoKpS3pEU82JBliDJiMUCDxmkJXtiWatZkiBul