OjaiM5
OjaiM5 Reader
2/19/20 11:54 a.m.

Hope you don't mind, I took some "artistic license" on you project smiley

wheelsmithy
wheelsmithy GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
2/19/20 1:59 p.m.

In reply to OjaiM5 :

Love it! The Italian flag spoiler, bolt on flares, and louver shaped solution to the really tall engine are stand-outs. You are a very talented individual. It's both aspirational and inspirational.

wheelsmithy
2/19/20 6:34 p.m.

I was having trouble getting moving today after work, so I figured an engine test fit would be a motivational start.

That's as low as it would go.

So, I made what is to be the first of many cuts.

I got the coolant passages out relatively intact. Somebody went full on with the sawzall, and cut one a bit. I'm not saying who, but it wasn't me.wink Fiat obviously never expected these to come out. clamps welded on around them, and the tunnel was built around them (with additional straps inside). They appear galvanized, and salvageable. Definite win. 

I removed the last of the wiring and brake lines, did a quick vacuum, and ended the day here:

I am very pleased with how solid this FREE Italian car is. 

OjaiM5
OjaiM5 Reader
2/19/20 6:40 p.m.

Thanks for the kind words, Stoked on this project. 

FYI my favorite X1/9 ever and it has a heart transplant as well. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wbaOf3ulYXI

Robbie
Robbie GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
2/19/20 10:05 p.m.

Guilty

wheelsmithy
2/20/20 2:46 p.m.
Robbie said:

Guilty

Please see that the next car you and Ian give me is in better shape.

Some people.

Dusterbd13-michael
Dusterbd13-michael MegaDork
2/20/20 3:00 p.m.
wheelsmithy said:

I am very pleased with how solid this FREE Italian car is. 

So solid the floors might as well be concrete!

Robbie
2/20/20 4:13 p.m.
wheelsmithy said:
Robbie said:

Guilty

Please see that the next car you and Ian give me is in better shape.

Some people.

That's how you know it was really my car. If Ian gave you a car, it WOULD be in much better shape.

linkinparker445
linkinparker445 New Reader
2/20/20 6:44 p.m.

The 2005.5+ turbo PT plastic intake manifold is generally preferred among PT folks.  It keeps the throttle body in the same location, so probably no help to you.  N/A PT plastic intake mani would put the throttle body pointed straight at the driver side, or SRT4 would be a one piece pointed low toward the driver side.

wheelsmithy
2/23/20 4:30 p.m.

I don't feel like I've really gotten started on this build, but this weekend, I did some more prep work.

I removed the side windows and trim, and made a box to protect them from- well, me.

I felt the need to get this thing dead level in a manner more sturdy and repeatable than jack-stands. I also knew I'd need to move it around in the future. So, more carpentry it was.

What we end up with is 2- 4X4 crosspieces, and 4- 4X4 legs, all tied together with braces from various scrap I had from the home project.

I got 4 1000lbs furniture dollies for 8 bucks each at Harbor Freight, which were paired up using a 3/4" plywood piece to hold the dollies under the load.

The 4X4 cross pieces got a small tab to locate on the pinch weld, and the dollies will likely get something similar.

The 4X4s were all recycled from the sled the Cruiser came in on.

Not my first choice for materials, but, its what I had.

03Panther
03Panther Reader
2/24/20 6:57 p.m.

Great car dolly's. Its nice to have scrap around.

wheelsmithy
2/25/20 6:51 p.m.

Today I bought $98.20 of scrap steel. In no way will all of it go into this car, but it is now on hand.

So, time for some mock ups. I had no idea how far forward I could bring the lower cross member. So I made a plywood seat.  And a plywood floor of sorts. 

This really helped me visualize. 

One thing at a time. I can bring it forward a good way. Ignoring that this moves suspension pick up points, I can build a new cross piece, then saw the old one out. 

03Panther
03Panther Reader
2/25/20 7:02 p.m.

Thats a lot more room than I would have expected. 'Course it will get small soon enough!

GoLucky
GoLucky Reader
2/25/20 7:24 p.m.

What gets in the way of the crossmember? 

wheelsmithy
2/25/20 7:41 p.m.

In reply to GoLucky :

Basically, I don't want to build this thing ship-in-a-bottle style. The long block obviously fits, as you have proven, but including the intake, and turbo, this sucker gets pretty long front to back. I want it to have a street life post Challenge, and that means the whole engine, trans, turbo, and intake have to drop out the bottom in one piece. 

I am likely an idiot, but this is the way I've chosen forward. Make the car fit the engine (suspension, too, but we'll get there.)

The Neon intake may help, and I'm game to try, but some more real estate is needed, and so much car is hacked away anyway. Also, this transmission is pretty big. I think some frame rail surgery in the engine bay is in order, also.

To 03 Panther:

the spare rode behind the passenger, and the gas tank behind the driver. I knew there was room, but wanted to confirm. My cross member will be almost exactly where the inner bulkhead was.

Stampie
Stampie UltimaDork
2/25/20 8:06 p.m.

On that cutaway you can really see how they put the mass between the seat bottoms and the rear axle.

03Panther
03Panther Reader
2/25/20 9:58 p.m.

Ive rode in one, but I was much smaller then! Never worked on one, though. In the "wants file" would be 914, TR7, and X19; TR& was highre as a teen, but X19 tops the list since early 80's. Almost bought a Betrtoni new in 86, but woulda had to sell my truck, and ... bought a dependable jap E36 M3 box, and kept a truck!

GoLucky
GoLucky Reader
2/25/20 10:42 p.m.

In reply to wheelsmithy :

I fully approve of your methods and logic.

The extra space you already have should make so many things easier.  My drivetrain went in and out too many times to count. I would have gone crazy if it needed partial disassembly every time. 

wheelsmithy
2/29/20 1:48 p.m.

All right, all right. I just needed to take note of how the coolant pipes run, but as we can't be having an update without pictures of THIS car...

I cut some rust out of the frame rail, and made what I believe are 14ga patch panels, complete with new seat belt mounts.

wheelsmithy
3/1/20 5:35 p.m.

I've been circling around this one for a bit now, but since it is critical to chassis strength, incorporates suspension points, and generally has to be right, I took my time.

5"X5" 14ga. cross member. I used what I could find at the scrap yard, and lovingly tacked and welded it a bit at a time.

Then I cut the middle out of it.

The coolant pipes wanted some of that space. 

But now it's in, and I'm happy with the result. 

I forgot to take a picture of the seat belt mounts/rocker repair panels from the last post, but, as you can see, they're in.

Now I can start hacking more old stuff out, and see how the driveline fits.

Stefan
Stefan GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
3/2/20 10:20 a.m.
Robbie
3/2/20 10:33 a.m.

Awesome! I'm happy to see this moving along so nicely.

dherr
dherr GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
3/2/20 10:47 a.m.

Yes, love this project!

wheelsmithy
3/2/20 5:44 p.m.

In reply to Stefan :

Yep, read that one front to back a couple of times. Great work, and golly, that engine is tight in there.

Other comments and encouragement greatly appreciated, fellas.

I've been hacking away.

Original Crossmember removed, and some spot welds ground out in the engine bay.

I found fiberglass on a strut tower, and did some exploratory surgery there, as well.

Plenty of rust repair is turning up. No surprise, really.

03Panther
03Panther Reader
3/2/20 11:47 p.m.

Good time to find and fix the dreaded iron oxide stuff!!!

lookin’ good

1 ... 9 10 11 12 13 ... 20

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
ZNsAtPjPJYxc5XL81euwQwJuyHYFdxnnWGcIYbH57hpEIbbM4XnsNebqkGq8fZr5