914Driver
914Driver MegaDork
7/11/20 3:44 p.m.

To follow up my deck redo thread, I topped it off with a Pergola for added shade.  Even more shade can be added by plopping vinyl lattice on top of the slats.  Kit is a 12 X 12ft. wall mount from New England Arbors, called a Freemont.

It took a whole day to MacGuyver the main  beam onto the house.  I removed the aluminum fascia and sofit, trimmed the 3X8 rafters as square as I could, put the fascia back and bolted the beam on using 3/8" lag bolts. 

914Driver
914Driver MegaDork
7/11/20 4:06 p.m.

On top of the cost of the Pergola, I bought some 2X6s and 4X4s.  The vinyl columns are 5" so 1/2" shims have to be screwed to the post at specified locations. 

I didn't take a lot of pictures here as we were busy hoisting and trying to out run summer storms.  The first thing to do is the header on the wall, next is the "goalpost".  The outer columns and cross member.  Too much fun....

Once the goalpost is up, you simply place the 12'6" beams from the house to the top of the goalpost.  Things get more solid after that.   Once all the screws are in, you put 1.5 X 1.5 vinyl slats over the top, screwing in 3" stainless screws at every intersection of slat & beam.

My son Ian came up to help, came again this weekend.  THANK YOU!  If it was me $ Trish, one of us would certainly be...., well, you know.  Besides, Trish just can't hoist a 12 ft. 2X6 like a younger man.

BTW, all fasteners are stainless with white painted heads.

Between last weekend and this one, I spent quite a few hours gluing vinyl tubes together and their end caps.  I have some finish work to do, the collars are off location but we stopped as a torrential down pour hit.  Good enough, it's not falling over.

Would I do it again?  Please lose my phone number.  What would I do differently?  The instructions say the columns should be 147 inches from the beam, I would have gone for 145 or 146, I'd like to see some beam hanging out the end.

Fire away if you have questions.

Dan

Datsun310Guy
Datsun310Guy UltimaDork
7/11/20 4:14 p.m.

I like the idea of this.

1. lightweight 

2. never paint

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
Gu8X5shsLXZHtOupCdtcequIKGn5u9J0Mieungpi4dAvMyx2e6tY99nolHJNZSjd