1 2 3 4 5
Pete Gossett
Pete Gossett GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
11/20/19 3:37 p.m.

In reply to Patrick :

That’s hawt! I’m looking forward to seeing wheelstands at the Challenge!!!

NickD
NickD PowerDork
11/21/19 10:13 a.m.

A friend of mine traded his way into some sort of dune buggy thing that had a transverse Northstar mounted in the back of it. It never really ran right, which is probably a good thing, because it would have probably killed him in short order. He wasn't mechanically inclined enough to sort it out, and I wasn't getting involved because I didn't want to be responsible for getting my buddy killed. He traded it off eventually for a 4-wheeler.

buzzboy
buzzboy HalfDork
11/21/19 9:16 p.m.
NickD said:

A friend of mine traded his way into some sort of dune buggy thing that had a transverse Northstar mounted in the back of it.

Wrong Cadillac V8, pointed the wrong direction. My old boss built a goalpost dragging exercise starting with a 1641 and T1 transaxle that escalated into a Cad 425 and TH425 on 33x12.50 Boggers. Why can't I find a photo of it...

Patrick (Forum Supporter)
Patrick (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
6/18/20 8:22 p.m.

Kids are getting auto shop 101.  Their job tomorrow is to pull the dead pinto engine with minimal help from me.

on the floor by the car we have the new type 4 vw engine

on the way we have a type 4 engine to type 1 transaxle flywheel and clutch kit, empi intake runners to go with the carb center section i have, some seals, and that's it for now.  I think i have some universal plug wires with ends  that will fit the cap and i have a new coil we can use. Once we get the intake out of the way we can check the numbers and see what we have.  On the shelf we have a partially disassembled 70-71 80hp 1700 914 engine.  I'm curious to see what the complete one is. 

i have implemented the "get the easiest projects done first" plan because that sounds smart.  The rail is the easiest because it's got wiring, stops, steers, goes into gear, and has seats.  It just needs to run and have some minor crap done.  

Had a lot of sandrails.  Fenders on the front can actually make them more comfy.  Some passengers don't appreciate being sand blasted.  Just saying.

6/18/20 8:46 p.m.

In reply to Purple Frog (Forum Supporter) :

honestly don't have a ton of interest in the dunes.  Yes the FIL's farm is close to silver lake, but a bunch of yahoos go there.  I'm more interested in trails through the woods and being a dork on the street.  

also we have polycarbonate to make a windshield 

759NRNG (Forum Partidario)
759NRNG (Forum Partidario) UltraDork
6/18/20 9:09 p.m.

PG, when you're not doing all this kool e36m3 are yu actually doing e36m3 that pays the bills....or are yu behind yur mask social distancing...while in yur  truk going to Summit in Akorn?

wawazat
wawazat Dork
6/18/20 9:30 p.m.

He was mask free today when we met for a parts purchase.  Then again so was I.  Coming from MI where everyone seems to be wearing masks I was amazed at the number of Ohioans who weren’t at the turnpike rest stop.

6/18/20 9:32 p.m.
wawazat said:

He was mask free today when we met for a parts purchase.  Then again so was I.  Coming from MI where everyone seems to be wearing masks I was amazed at the number of Ohioans who weren’t at the turnpike rest stop.

GOOD ON Y"ALL!!!!

6/18/20 10:04 p.m.

I didn't think to put my mask on to make a 2 minute wheel transaction where he got within 6 feet for long enough to hand me money.  

i have some things going on but mostly we are taking advantage of this time to change the direction of our business how we've wanted to for a while but never had a break to stop and actually do it.  I'm working on something else but not at liberty to discuss that yet, but i have a feeling it's going to be well received around here.  All this is leaving me with lots of time to get stuff done around here and be a dad.  I'm kinda like Seth for the time being.  Be dad and play with cars and rebuild the house/garage.  I have not been to summit since i think when i met Curtis there over winter.  Honestly I have been in a store exactly twice since march 13th.  Once to true value because my drain backed up and i went to IGA for groceries last Friday.  I'm doing my best to not be responsible for spreading anything to anyone.

6/19/20 10:15 a.m.

barefootskater
barefootskater UltraDork
6/19/20 10:46 a.m.

Type 4! Woot! Doin it with style. 

6/19/20 10:53 a.m.

*Abby has joined the party*

Mndsm
Mndsm MegaDork
6/19/20 10:56 a.m.

I would absolutely dd a rail. 

6/19/20 11:32 a.m.

6/19/20 11:33 a.m.

I gave away the red partial buggy body because my buddy asked about it.  

looks like we have a GD code on the engine going in so 1976 2.0 bus with fuel injection.  I think i have 1.8 heads somewhere but I don't need to do anything but make it run at this point.  Going to ebay the injection stuff to start recoup

6/19/20 3:06 p.m.

Liberal application of brake cleaner and a stiff brush have us here 

dug out the carb intake center section after remembering i have an impala trunk full of vw parts.  Also found the balance of the 914 1.7 and 3 flywheels(all type 1).

also noticed car has 4x130 to 5xwide adapters in back so if i want to put the super beetle 4x130 discs up front eventually I won't have mismatched bolt patterns.  Think the preferred goal will be 15x8 rears with a reasonably sized tire.  I like the spindle mount homemade wheels but they have done nothing to protect the bearings so the better move will probably be the 4x130 4" wide bug wheels i have.  But this is all down the road after we run.  Distributor looks good inside, and i'm going to see what i can get for plugs, wires, and oil filter 

Stampie (FS)
Stampie (FS) GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
6/19/20 3:56 p.m.
Patrick (Forum Supporter) said:

Looks like she got the best tool for engine removal.  I always like the sawzall.

6/19/20 6:14 p.m.

In reply to Stampie (FS) :

I'm not quite ready to let her have at the sawzall.  I did those parts(exhaust pipes and motor mount crossmember).  They did most of the unbolting and ran the cherrypicker.

since i am on a mission to catalog all the vw stuff I went downstairs and the fresh clean case down there is a 1974 914 1.8 that looks like it got sent to the machine shop, got all pretty, had new studs put in everywhere and got sat on a shelf.  

honestly if this bus motor works I need to keep a couple type 4 spares and sell everything else to clear shelf space and build the play fund balance back up for the 57

6/19/20 6:29 p.m.
Stampie (FS) said:

Looks like she got the best tool for engine removal.  I always like the sawzall.

Or is that a 10MM speed wrench?

Snowdoggie
Snowdoggie Reader
6/19/20 6:46 p.m.

Liberal application of brake cleaner and a stiff brush have us here 

dug out the carb intake center section after remembering i have an impala trunk full of vw parts.  Also found the balance of the 914 1.7 and 3 flywheels(all type 1).

also noticed car has 4x130 to 5xwide adapters in back so if i want to put the super beetle 4x130 discs up front eventually I won't have mismatched bolt patterns.  Think the preferred goal will be 15x8 rears with a reasonably sized tire.  I like the spindle mount homemade wheels but they have done nothing to protect the bearings so the better move will probably be the 4x130 4" wide bug wheels i have.  But this is all down the road after we run.  Distributor looks good inside, and i'm going to see what i can get for plugs, wires, and oil filter 

So that's what the front of one of those things looks like. I never have seen that angle on my 914's motor. 

6/19/20 7:17 p.m.

In reply to Snowdoggie :

Yeah they have a big aluminum fan shroud and a separate alternator instead of the bug style stamped steel stuff with I believe a fan generator combo. 

it sounds like we won't have everything till friday, i failed to notice I don't have any bellhousing studs so I ordered a set a couple hours ago and took advantage of the delay to order plugs, wires, cap, and rotor.    But that just gives time to clean everything up, fix some booger welds, add some chopped out tubes, do some grinding, and figure out what color we're going on the frame.  Hopefully next weekend then we can get it together and see what happens.  

colin and abby got one seat out and we test fit a plastic high back racing seat.  Much better, and i can add a harness bar and chop their old scary angle iron seat belt mounts off the cage

dropstep
dropstep UltraDork
6/19/20 9:01 p.m.

We never ran a windshield in my dads just wore helmets everywhere, it also never went in the sand just mud and trails. Even a few mud drags. People kind of treat them like a motorcycle on the street and pull right out in front of you so drive with extra caution. My dads would ride wheelies in 1-2 on the street so that was kind of hilarious. 

my wife wants a sand rail badly because we always had one or three around my dads house when we were teenagers and she loved riding in them. 

6/19/20 9:41 p.m.

In reply to dropstep :

We have 15 $4 sheets of polycarbonate so I'll make a couple windshields for when one inevitably cracks or gets scratched up.  

FIL has close to 200 acres in Michigan on the edge of the National forest and there are lots of trails up there that are seasonal roads so I could drive it on them with a normal license plate and not need an ORV permit.  I've wanted a rail forever and jumped on this one when we were up there last summer.  It was a ran when parked deal that i made an offer on assuming engine was bad, and it was.  

checked my email, we should have 12 deliveries for it next week. 

I will have to wire a proper lighting system once we figure out what's going where.  Have some round chrome headlights on the shelf.  I'll have to look up some pictures to see how we want to make things look

1 2 3 4 5

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
zqEUGEK7DFoVp78HvDb7Mo8IOTiKC8rqdGq5cX6n1YJWgQsFTbfZrq1ES6ExZh3U