1 ... 99 100 101 102 103 ... 133
ralleah
ralleah PowerDork
8/3/23 1:43 p.m.

So we have safety flops, and safety squints. Any other "safety standards" we should be aware of?? 

In reply to 759NRNG :

Nope

TurnerX19
TurnerX19 UberDork
8/4/23 6:06 p.m.

In reply to Mr_Asa :

That does not work on every alloy. The ones it does the air cooling gives about 1/4 hard, and water quench full soft. Ivory soap rubbed on, slow heated to black soot works perfect on 3003 and 5052. It turns 6061 into trash. 

Note to all: don't downvote honest questions in this thread. It's 101 pages and at least 10% of that is smack or self-deprecation. I answered the question, and I wasn't offended, so please don't be all SJW offended for me.

759NRNG
759NRNG PowerDork
8/5/23 9:36 a.m.
AngryCorvair (Forum Supporter) said:

Note to all: don't downvote honest questions in this thread. It's 101 pages and at least 10% of that is smack or self-deprecation. I answered the question, and I wasn't offended, so please don't be all SJW offended for me.

Yeah so there  cheeky

Patrick
Patrick GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
8/5/23 10:55 a.m.

It was still a shiny happy comment

DarkMonohue
DarkMonohue GRM+ Memberand Dork
8/5/23 12:16 p.m.

In reply to Patrick :

I don't see it that way. I've laid down my share of boogers, and generally speaking, everybody who has commented on them has been a friend who has done the same thing themselves. 

AngryCorvair (Forum Supporter)
AngryCorvair (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
8/5/23 12:28 p.m.
759NRNG said:

Yeah so there  cheeky

Don't get too carried away there. Just because I wasn't offended doesn't mean it wasn't a E36 M3ty way to ask the question. laugh

8/5/23 12:33 p.m.
Patrick said:

It was still a shiny happy comment

At first I was like "WTF?!?! Does this guy know me well enough to make a E36 M3ty comment like that?!?!"

but after a while, I was like "ok, maybe it was just poor word choice that made it come off E36 M3ty."

if I gave a longer answer, it would have gone something like

dear berkeleyo, please post pix of welds on headers you made from scrap. this project has been 4-1/2 years of skill evolution for me. If I had time and money, I'd love to re-do a lot of things. But I'm not embarrassed by anything I've done on this project.

preach
preach GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
8/5/23 1:07 p.m.

In reply to AngryCorvair (Forum Supporter) :

In reply to preach :

But it wasn't hate. It was just poor word choice.

Scored OG Corvair shift knob today:

OMG I don't remember them being so small (1.5" dia). Pretty sure I nailed the required mod:

TurboFource
TurboFource HalfDork
8/5/23 4:37 p.m.

I wish I had a 5 and 6 to add to mine!

No in-process pix, but here's the bottom of the LH heat shield:

I will mark it for brackets tonight but probably won't drill all the holes and shoot all the rivets.

jfryjfry
jfryjfry SuperDork
8/6/23 10:40 a.m.

I think I missed the offending question....

TurboFource
TurboFource HalfDork
8/6/23 12:03 p.m.

In reply to jfryjfry :

me too

I attached brackets to LH heat shield base, then worked on fitting the rest of the pieces to extend the shields all the way to the collectors.

and I noticed that I've got a clearance issue between stick-on balance weights and LR caliper:

This is with the street tires. It hasn't been driven since balancing and installing them. I will move the weights inboard about 1.5" before driving.

classicJackets (FS)
classicJackets (FS) SuperDork
8/6/23 10:07 p.m.

Good catch on the clearance!

maschinenbau
maschinenbau GRM+ Memberand UberDork
8/7/23 9:24 a.m.

I too had clearance issues with Datsaniti's front brake calipers. Unfortunately I couldn't just move weights to fix it. Fortunately I'm pretty good with an angle grinder, and I assume those brake engineers put a little extra margin in safety critical castings laugh

Pete. (l33t FS)
Pete. (l33t FS) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
8/7/23 9:50 a.m.

and I noticed that I've got a clearance issue between stick-on balance weights and LR caliper:

This is with the street tires. It hasn't been driven since balancing and installing them. I will move the weights inboard about 1.5" before driving.

Rebalancing all the wheels will take a lot more time than grinding all the caliper ribs down, though.

8/7/23 10:07 a.m.
Pete. (l33t FS) said:
Rebalancing all the wheels will take a lot more time than grinding all the caliper ribs down, though.

who said anything about rebalancing? i'm going to remove these weights and apply the same amount about 1.5" inboard of current location. Bubble balancer wouldn't know the difference. wink

papamilad
papamilad Reader
8/8/23 7:08 p.m.

Some late comp content

Opti
Opti SuperDork
8/8/23 7:23 p.m.

I'm with Corvair on moving weights, if they are C5 calipers (which they look like), because they are already prone to spreading under heavy use. Wouldn't want to grind and make them weaker.

This is from a guy who has ground down more than a couple calipers for drag wheel clearance

8/12/23 3:24 p.m.

Making some progress today. Trimmed the last piece for passenger side upper, fit them together, then bent some snazzy little tabs to keep the upper and lower from vibrating too badly. Detail shot showing the lead-in features:

and how they fit together:

then used step bit to start hole for forced air hose attachment:

tin snips opened it up and made some retention features for zero weight add:

obviously not finished, but here's a test of the forced air system:

Edit: bilge fan is pretty loud. One per side is gonna be louder still. Might have to ponder on a quieter solution for 2026.

ExcessKuma
ExcessKuma Reader
8/12/23 4:17 p.m.

Don't mind me just strolling by to make sure the corvair is in one piece. I see my Vinyl job has held up

1 ... 99 100 101 102 103 ... 133

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
P1I6E771PBY5XXX89zlessGJw29vD7wYN0YzmxqqAmsOb4xtmGwE5MTnbMVl7ytk