In reply to AngryCorvair (Forum Supporter) :

More sexies

AngryCorvair (Forum Supporter)
AngryCorvair (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
8/16/23 9:39 p.m.
RacetruckRon said:

Is that a full set or four 17s?

Full set. I only want the 17s. I believe I've already sold the 18s. Do you want next in line in case local dude bails?

RacetruckRon
RacetruckRon GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
8/17/23 1:11 a.m.

Absolutely would love to get my hands on a pair of 18s.

8/17/23 7:33 a.m.
RacetruckRon said:

Absolutely would love to get my hands on a pair of 18s.

I will keep you posted. Will know within a week.

8/20/23 11:22 p.m.

Bilge fans are mounted, wired, and mostly plumbed. I'm switching the bilge fan relay with a wire from the load side of the fuel pump relay, so the bilge fans run whenever the fuel pump runs.

now I can install the exhaust and the firewall and start tuning.

wvumtnbkr
wvumtnbkr GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
8/21/23 10:06 a.m.
AngryCorvair (Forum Supporter) said:

Bilge fans are mounted, wired, and mostly plumbed. I'm switching the bilge fan relay with a wire from the load side of the fuel pump relay, so the bilge fans run whenever the fuel pump runs.

now I can install the exhaust and the firewall and start tuning.

Funny you did that.  I did the same thing on my racecar (except bilge fans were for brake cooling).  

Unfortunately, some rubber got stuck in the fan and it shorted out.  Weirdly, it took out the wiring to the fuel pump as well.  I also had a relay involved.  Not sure how it happened, but it happened.

8/21/23 10:12 a.m.
wvumtnbkr said:

Funny you did that.  I did the same thing on my racecar (except bilge fans were for brake cooling).  

Unfortunately, some rubber got stuck in the fan and it shorted out.  Weirdly, it took out the wiring to the fuel pump as well.  I also had a relay involved.  Not sure how it happened, but it happened.

thanks for reminding me of this. all the used NASCAR brake fans i looked at had chicken wire across the inlets. i'll be adding that when it's time to start driving. 

RacetruckRon
RacetruckRon GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
8/21/23 2:49 p.m.
wvumtnbkr said:

thanks for reminding me of this. all the used NASCAR brake fans i looked at had chicken wire across the inlets. i'll be adding that when it's time to start driving. 

Yeah you don't want to add bird blender to Monzora's resume.

stafford1500
stafford1500 GRM+ Memberand Dork
8/21/23 2:55 p.m.
RacetruckRon said:
wvumtnbkr said:

Roasted pigeon for lunch

Dusterbd13-michael
Dusterbd13-michael MegaDork
8/21/23 3:16 p.m.
stafford1500 said:
RacetruckRon said:
wvumtnbkr said:

Roasted pigeon for lunch

Guarantee it wont smell worse than the 101 degree Tyson plant today. 

8/21/23 3:25 p.m.

In reply to Dusterbd13-michael :

to get to Ocean City MD from Washington DC, we used to drive past the Purdue plant in Salisbury MD.  it was enough to gag a maggot on a vomit truck from the road.  i can't imagine how bad it must be on the inside.

TurboFource
TurboFource HalfDork
8/21/23 5:23 p.m.

And there used to be a McDonald's right across the street ... they moved ....

wvumtnbkr
wvumtnbkr GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
8/23/23 10:33 a.m.

Hey.  Moar!  Please.

8/26/23 11:38 p.m.

In reply to wvumtnbkr :

Finally, I have moar.

Today I made the car less of a shelf. Then I worked on getting air from base of windshield into center duct. I removed the grille and door from passenger kick panel vent, then used my superior CAD skills to make a block-off plate from a scrap of aluminum. I marked concentric 2.5" and 4" circles on it, cut the 2.5" hole, then made radial cuts out to the 4" and bent those tabs up, to slip inside the roadside pickup dryer vent:

and attached it to the car with hardware that only cost a few cents:

I still need to cut the inlet to the console and attach that elbow, then scab up an intermediate piece and it's all good.

ShawneeCreek
ShawneeCreek GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
8/27/23 8:16 a.m.

I love those washers. Nice!

Also, not how I was picturing you getting air into that central tunnel. I had figured there was either going to be a hole in the front firewall to get air from the frunk or going upwards into the cowl at the base of the windshield. Your solution is better as it uses an existing hole that is shrouded from the weather. I like it.

-Sean

TurboFource
TurboFource HalfDork
8/27/23 8:32 a.m.

Those washers are definitely cheaper than at my corner hardware store!

8/27/23 2:26 p.m.

I took another step toward improved heat management today. Early ('60-'64) Corvairs had louvered engine lids. When my buddy Pete from the Detroit Area Corvair Club told me he's parting a roached '63, I grabbed some implements of destruction (and some PPE), and headed over.

now I need to figure the best way to integrate that panel into this one:

I'm pretty sure I'll cut out the center spine, as the early shape doesn't exactly match the late. And I'll probably move each section outboard, (1) for symmetry and (2) to better align them with the exhaust pipes below.

EDIT: if you know about aero, please comment on whether the louvers should be proud of the deck surface as seen here:

or recessed as seen here:

Goal is for them to be the most effective heat exits they can be. My gut tells me recessed, for both aero efficiency and wind noise.

for reference, they were the inlets for cooling and combustion air, oriented as shown below. Front of car is to the right in all these pics.

759NRNG
759NRNG PowerDork
8/27/23 3:22 p.m.

recessed....cut out the spine ? Looks pretty close from where I'm sittin' Gonna hone your Tig chops?

stafford1500
stafford1500 GRM+ Memberand Dork
8/27/23 3:50 p.m.

Recessed AND leading edge of louver to the front of the car (fourth picture). Realistically the rolled edge of the louver is not helping draw flow in or out, but is instead adding strength to a very weak and flat-ish surface. Same reason for the spine down the center.

Edit: moving the louvers outboard (to align with the exhaust) will put them in a more advantageous location to help draw the flow thru the engine bay since you should have less disturbed flow compared to right behind the rear glass.

8/28/23 12:10 a.m.

In reply to stafford1500 :

Woohoo, I was thinking those reasons for both the position and the orientation!

8/29/23 12:39 p.m.

I let the car run for a few minutes with the header shields and bilge fans doing their thing, and I was able to put my hand on the shields without immediately burning myself, so they're definitely helping. I could feel hot air exiting the rear cowl vent as well, so I know I'm on to something.

Then I addressed something that was not hugely important but bugged me nonetheless. Repurposed a parking brake cable bracket, added a scrap of all-thread and square tube, and now I can position my tailpipes vertically in the center of the grille cutout:

today after work I will complete ducting to center console, install my front street tires, and start the tuning process.

also, I want to dick-punch whoever added the red accents to these wheels. I've tried many ways to remove the red paint, and so far the most effective method has been to scrub with steel wool that's wet with brake cleaner.

What a PITA. But it gets me high, which is nice.

I also cleaned the back window, and am contemplating a new engine cover that definitely won't pass tech.

preach
preach GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
8/29/23 12:52 p.m.

Something like my Cayman?

Some kind of lexan cover that was aftermarket when they first came out, had to send the intake to them so they could paint it as well.

If so that would be very cool!

8/29/23 2:19 p.m.

In reply to preach :

something along those lines, yes.

Shavarsh
Shavarsh HalfDork
8/29/23 2:37 p.m.

Wow, what a cool view, keep it up Angry!

I'm really enjoying all the air management.

8/29/23 4:52 p.m.

In reply to preach :

i need a "the world *was* flat" sticker...

1 ... 101 102 103 104 105 ... 133

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
jMWLVkVeRGGMorFMwNcZBqReACeeVVY7gIeRy7EoBWJBEQrU3MXG1MOZFAzP2e5d