1 ... 102 103 104 105 106 ... 133
preach
preach GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
8/29/23 5:07 p.m.

In reply to AngryCorvair (Forum Supporter) :

I don't know how many folk would get that but I'd laugh my ass off seeing it.

Additionally, you engine will look so much cleaner than mine under a clear lid. I was going to move those two "oil" lines to help clean up the look until I found out they were my shifter cables. Well, E36 M3.

Speaking of which, you could drop a deuce on top of your car and I still think was was cool as berkeley.

wvumtnbkr
wvumtnbkr GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
8/29/23 7:58 p.m.
preach said:

I don't know how many folk would get that but I'd laugh my ass off seeing it.

Additionally, you engine will look so much cleaner than mine under a clear lid. I was going to move those two "oil" lines to help clean up the look until I found out they were my shifter cables. Well, E36 M3.

Speaking of which, you could drop a deuce on top of your car and I still think was was cool as berkeley.

I did do that while Angry was in the hot tub.  I think the rain washed it off.  

I still think it's cool as berkeley.

AngryCorvair (Forum Supporter)
AngryCorvair (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
8/29/23 9:35 p.m.

8/29/23 9:51 p.m.

I modified the Stafford Kuma Panel (tm) and attached the other 4" elbow

then cut a length of flexible dryer duct that was just barely long enough (so it would be taut), stretched it into place and used some, you guessed it, duct tape to secure the ends.

I *want* to like it a lot less than I actually like it. It fulfills my vision and fits the car's character.

I also drilled and riveted the air filter box pieces together. Don't ask why I didn't fully seam weld the aluminum bits. I have no idea.

Gonna get a tube of clear silicone to seal the seams, then apply some foam tape to the bottom edge, and screw it to the console. I was thinking about using rivets, but that would require drilling them out every time I need to remove the firewall, and that would be dumb.

tuning starts tomorrow.

Pete. (l33t FS)
Pete. (l33t FS) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
8/29/23 10:01 p.m.
AngryCorvair (Forum Supporter) said:

8/29/23 10:03 p.m.

Also, I made this list on or around June 1st, and it's still not complete. Updated 8/29.

TurboFource
TurboFource HalfDork
8/30/23 9:14 p.m.

Great to see and your car in the latest issue of GRM!

wvumtnbkr
8/30/23 9:55 p.m.

Do I get to work on this and remake the seatbelt at the next challenge?  I'll be prepared with parts.  I want that to be much better.

I literally stay awake at night thinking about how that could go sooo much better with a Chevy truck belt.

wvumtnbkr
8/30/23 9:56 p.m.

Oh yeah....  MOAR.

Hopefully, I get my car done.  I just need time to make it better.  I have the parts and current reliability.  

8/30/23 10:43 p.m.

In reply to wvumtnbkr :

I was looking at Honda minivan second row belts, they're pretty stinking long.

No tuning happened tonight. I started by running a temporary wire from a Hot in ACC and RUN fuse to switch the bilge fan relay. This way I can switch the key to ACC after shutdown and the fans will continue to push hot air out the back. I do have a better long-term plan, but for now this is it.

then I jacked up the front end to swap the A7s for the street tires. Inner sidewall of LF was wet with streaks of brake fluid. I put about a quarter turn on the banjo bolt and it seems to be dry.

At this point, I've got:

• full length header heat shields
  • fans pushing air through said shields
  • complete duct from high pressure at base of windshield to engine compartment
  • complete engine air filter box and plumbing

and I guess now there's no more excuses. Tomorrow we start with setting idle speed / timing / fuel, then go out and log some data!

EDIT: My tach doesn't work. Last night I observed this: I turned the key to ACC and the tach jumped to 1600 and stayed there until I turned the key OFF. Maybe I've got power and signal switched? It's worth a try to switch them and see what happens. Any ideas?

preach
8/31/23 5:32 a.m.

What about a 12v timer for the fans so you don't have to worry about your key being on?

Cheap 12v Timer Example

8/31/23 11:23 a.m.

In reply to preach :

that would work, for sure. 

or a cooling fan controller with a probe that would go in the radiator fins.  instead of mounting to radiator, put the probe in the heat shield. i can get that in the budget.

8/31/23 11:21 p.m.

Tuning, Day 1:

I was always impressed with how quickly Andrew Nelson's rowdy SBCs roared to life, and how cleanly they idled. I asked him about it and he said "if it doesn't idle right, it's not gonna come off idle right." Or something very close to that. So, tuning step 1 is to make it idle right.

LT1 wisdom says they like a lot of spark advance at idle. The free logging tool EEHACK has a cool feature that allows the user to make real-time advance changes, and the logging display shows MAP, TPS, RPM, IAC counts, and spark advance. Target RPM is 900, and base timing was 24 BTDC. Actual RPM was a hair under 1000 and IAC counts were 0, so I definitely have the throttle blades open a little too far. Still, I advanced about 2 deg at a time, watching change in MAP reading (lower MAP = more vacuum) and RPM. Goal is to keep advancing til MAP stops dropping, then back off a couple degrees. So that's what I did. Then I scrolled through the log and noted MAP and RPM vs advance, as seen on white board:

I was having fun poking around the graphing options in EEHACK, and scrolling through the log. Then I noticed the display said I was in BLM cell 16, which surprised me as this is one of the "special" cells that I thought I had turned off in the BIN, so I had to open up TunerPRO and compare a couple things. Sure enough, the BIN I'm using didn't have entry to the special cells disabled, so I have to reflash and do this all over again. Not a wasted effort though, as I learned and had fun and made a short list of next steps.

We have dinner plans tomorrow, but I think I'll ditch work early tomorrow and do a little more since I don't want to wait til Saturday.

wawazat
wawazat SuperDork
9/2/23 5:12 p.m.

Hey dude just a thought on your temperature probe comment above.  The radiator fan controller I'm using has a sensor that wraps around the radiator outlet and is trapped between the outlet and the hose instead of between the fins.  Less likely to damaged the radiator and measures fluid temp leaving the rad.  

DarkMonohue
DarkMonohue GRM+ Memberand Dork
9/2/23 6:48 p.m.
wawazat said:

Hey dude just a thought on your temperature probe comment above.  The radiator fan controller I'm using has a sensor that wraps around the radiator outlet and is trapped between the outlet and the hose instead of between the fins.  Less likely to damaged the radiator and measures fluid temp leaving the rad.  

That sounds familiar!

I have had this for probably 25 years. If it can help, it's yours for the cost of shipping. 

Stampie
Stampie GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
9/2/23 8:36 p.m.

What did you do today AC?

preach
9/2/23 11:27 p.m.

In reply to Stampie :

More than me I bet. I think you may know the answer though.

9/2/23 11:47 p.m.

In reply to preach :

Oh, he knows.

preach
9/3/23 7:54 a.m.

Did you get the finger in person? Oh and do tell...

In reply to preach :

It involved the drive of jubilance, followed almost immediately by the walk of shame, which itself was followed by the push of shame. At least AK1 was home to help.

more later, I promise.

preach
9/3/23 9:13 a.m.

In reply to preach :

It involved the drive of jubilance, followed almost immediately by the walk of shame, which itself was followed by the push of shame. At least AK1 was home to help.

more later, I promise.

When I am on the road Patrick I live vicariously through you and nocones Dan. So pitter-patter(Letterkenny).

When I am home I play with dogs instead of being in my shop. Sad as that is, it's not really sad because they are berkeleying awesome.

9/3/23 12:47 p.m.

Today's looks, so far:

That look you make when you're gonna replace your 195* thermostat with a 180, and you pull a brand new 180 out of the housing.

That look you make when you're gonna break a couple of bracket bolts loose, and they were never tightened.

In reply to preach :

I believe Glen said it best:

Pitter-patter, let's get going!

preach
9/3/23 3:20 p.m.

In reply to preach :

I believe Glen said it best:

Pitter-patter, let's get going!

For the life of me I cannot figure out who Glen is...AND he is one of the writers. Probably the IPAs. You watch Shorsey yet? Holy E36 M3.

Add to list above:

That look you make when there's no possible way you need gloves to make one little tack.

That look you make when your safety sandals done protect you from MIG splatter.

EDIT:

That look you make when your revised throttle cable bracket is perfect at idle but binds up at about half-throttle.

Then there's that look when you tweak the revised throttle bracket and break the tacks on that other bracket. You know, the one you didn't finish weld before the challenge..

and yes, I have binge watched the first season of Shoresy several times already.

EDIT: 6PM and it's hot as balls in my west-facing garage. I'm quitting for the night. Time for a shower and some ice water.

1 ... 102 103 104 105 106 ... 133

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
a5kzP8DtxcuKCmcLhfEcaiMkVPkRawSd0bHgKZao9KNjEvlm3z1HvE0OFXLixiSI