1 ... 103 104 105 106 107 ... 133
wvumtnbkr
wvumtnbkr GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
9/3/23 7:16 p.m.

Lolz.  Same look.

Been there.  ALL THE TIME.  Ducting is where to look next.  However, you are already looking.  So, it's just a matter of time til you get the airflow correct. 

Stiffness comparison, spine vs no spine:

this is gonna work out great!

instead of centering on decklid, the louvers will be aligned parallel to center line, and centered on exhaust shield exits which is almost dead-nuts to centered on each side of the total horizontal surface. Hashtag function over form.

Mid-day pic dump:

You know there was some CAD involved!

then I had to make a little room below deck:

and she's a slip-fit, ready to be tacked.

Indy - Guy
Indy - Guy UltimaDork
9/4/23 4:07 p.m.

In reply to AngryCorvair (Forum Supporter) :

Mikey Likes it yes

Nukem
Nukem Reader
9/4/23 5:29 p.m.

More louvers = more better

Jim Pettengill
Jim Pettengill HalfDork
9/4/23 5:40 p.m.

Will there be rain shields under the louvers like on the early 'Vairs?  Would rain cause any problems?

preach
preach GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
9/4/23 6:24 p.m.

In reply to Jim Pettengill :

Rain trays are for the weak.

Especially over the trans, not the engine.,

-914 owner

Dusterbd13-michael
Dusterbd13-michael MegaDork
9/4/23 6:29 p.m.

he has to drive it to worry about the rain....

love ya angy!

Opti
Opti SuperDork
9/4/23 6:41 p.m.
AngryCorvair (Forum Supporter) said:

Today's looks, so far:

That look you make when you're gonna replace your 195* thermostat with a 180, and you pull a brand new 180 out of the housing.

That look you make when you're gonna break a couple of bracket bolts loose, and they were never tightened.

They make a 160 for LT1s. Ive ran it in most of not all the LT1s I've had. Heater even still works

TurboFource
TurboFource HalfDork
9/4/23 6:58 p.m.

All that welding on an engine cover makes me nervous.... hope you have no issues!

Louvers are going to look great!

PMRacing
PMRacing GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
9/4/23 7:02 p.m.

It looks louverly! Just louverly! Nice work!

wvumtnbkr
9/4/23 7:20 p.m.

Yall know that the thermostat temp is where it opens, nit the temp to which an engine gets, right?

Like a 160 or 180 thermostat isn't gonna help cooling at all.  It's still gonna get to whatever temp it equalizes at with heat in and heat out.  The only reason to run a lower thermostat is to start circulating the coolant quicker which doesn't help overall temp.

In reply to Dusterbd13-michael :

or, god forbid, wash it!

In reply to Jim Pettengill :

Great question!

Battery is in stock location for now.

PCM is mounted front and center under rear deck, so pretty well protected. I think everything will be OK.

wvumtnbkr said:

Yall know that the thermostat temp is where it opens, nit the temp to which an engine gets, right?

Like a 160 or 180 thermostat isn't gonna help cooling at all.  It's still gonna get to whatever temp it equalizes at with heat in and heat out.  The only reason to run a lower thermostat is to start circulating the coolant quicker which doesn't help overall temp.

the way I think of it, and it's been a long time since thermo, there's gonna be a delta T across the cooling system. And I think that delta T is gonna be the same for any thermostat set point. So, if that's true, Lower thermostat should equal lower equilibrium operating temp. Same delta, lower T init.

I don't love it. But it's done. And I can always get another decklid if I'm overwhelmed with not love.

but for 7 hours work, I guess it doesn't suck.

759NRNG
759NRNG PowerDork
9/4/23 7:38 p.m.

I don't love it. But it's done. And I can always get another decklid if I'm overwhelmed with not love.

but for 7 hours work, I guess it doesn't suck.

well I must admit this came out well beyond my expectations.....well done 

Stampie
Stampie GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
9/4/23 7:38 p.m.

Nice job.  Hope you feel better after the nut kick from Michael.

Stampie said:

Nice job.  Hope you feel better after the nut kick from Michael.

'twas just a love tap, my friend.

Dusterbd13-michael
Dusterbd13-michael MegaDork
9/4/23 7:43 p.m.

That looks way better than my efforts of the weekend. Great job man!

759NRNG said:

well I must admit this came out well beyond my expectations.....well done 

just don't look too close at the welds.

ziiiiiiiiiiing! 

Current situation:

damn, I feel gross. Between sweat and grit and sanding filth, I'm a friggin' mess. But that Summer Shandy is going down smoother than Stampie at the Navy pier.

wvumtnbkr
9/4/23 8:40 p.m.
wvumtnbkr said:

the way I think of it, and it's been a long time since thermo, there's gonna be a delta T across the cooling system. And I think that delta T is gonna be the same for any thermostat set point. So, if that's true, Lower thermostat should equal lower equilibrium operating temp. Same delta, lower T init.

I don't think so.

Once it's open it's just open.  As if it wasn't there.

If the coolant system can't get rid of the heat, the engine will get hot no matter the thermostat temp.

Thermostats only keep the fluid in the engine HOT so that everything heats up.  Once it opens, it's like it isn't there.  

wvumtnbkr said:

Once it's open it's just open.  As if it wasn't there.

If the coolant system can't get rid of the heat, the engine will get hot no matter the thermostat temp.

Thermostats only keep the fluid in the engine HOT so that everything heats up.  Once it opens, it's like it isn't there.  

Unless the return from the heat exchange system is at a lower temp than the thermostat transition point, in which case the thermostat will close, at least partially, yes? 

1 ... 103 104 105 106 107 ... 133

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
w8ynJMjSJXD3eg2ISSzpR48HbnQra7Ndy5knWfw6DZO96ucpOoNcBvcubJfzoQ3q