1 ... 115 116 117 118 119 ... 133
budget_bandit
budget_bandit New Reader
3/17/24 8:37 a.m.

In reply to AngryCorvair (Forum Supporter) :

I'm a huge fan.

i have visions of giving my ventura an AAR cuda style paint job, but with patina

AngryCorvair (Forum Supporter)
AngryCorvair (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
3/17/24 4:45 p.m.

Changed it up a little:

I like it better. This is what I had in mind from the start; what I posted yesterday was not correctly laid out. I also picked up some paint today. If I can get over my corned beef coma, I might head back to the garage and smear some paint around.

budget_bandit
budget_bandit New Reader
3/17/24 7:18 p.m.

Fantastic! Can't wait to see the result

3/17/24 7:45 p.m.

Front:

and rear:

i should have painted the roof first. After doing the sides and the engine lid, I had to open the frunk so the can would spray.

Also, here's what happened when i removed last year's event sticker:

I'm going to buy a rotisserie so I can do the roof (tools are exempt) rather than hit my budget for another can of spray paint.

I've got some additional details to add later this week.

John Welsh
John Welsh Mod Squad
3/17/24 8:18 p.m.

Stickers:  Back in my Challenge years I applied the required stickers to sheet magnet bought through Amazon.  I chose to make the magnet "budget exempt", because it neither improved my performance nor appearance at the event.  All of its benefits were "post-event"

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B07VNN61FN/ref=ox_sc_act_image_1?smid=A29LMW6NEIXVUS&psc=1

30 mil is a good thickness.  That same magnet held the signs to my F250 for 5 years straight in all weather and all speeds. 

The GRM magnets lived on my garage refridge for years to follow.

3/17/24 8:35 p.m.

In reply to John Welsh :

Magnets on stainless?!?!

barefootcyborg5000
barefootcyborg5000 UltimaDork
3/17/24 9:23 p.m.

Yo, AC. Excellent tape work. Now peel it already. I'd hate to think of you as a tease. 

3/17/24 9:37 p.m.
barefootcyborg5000 said:

Yo, AC. Excellent tape work. Now peel it already. I'd hate to think of you as a tease. 

Need to spray a second coat in some areas before peeling. You know I'm gonna show it to you.

3/18/24 9:40 a.m.

one idea i had for the stripes was that they should look as bad as the rest of the car. old stripes would eventually shrink and crack from sun exposure, turn yellow, etc, so I searched for some options on how to replicate this.  i found a site that said to brush elmer's glue on the surface, then paint with latex while the glue was still wet, then hit it with a hair dryer to make it shrink and crack. i tried it in one area and didn't like the result. the cracks directly followed the brush strokes in the glue, and it just looked like E36 M3ty brush paint. if i was really artsy, i would have put the glue on the surface straight from the bottle, in a cracky pattern, and try again.

but i'm not really artsy, so i went with Option 2 and grabbed a rattle can of matte white. i think it would look better with semi-gloss, so i will do coat number 2 with semi-gloss from the same brand and family. Stay tuned for results. it's going to be cold up here all week, and next week i'm at the BMW Performance Center West in Thermal CA to instruct Applied Vehicle Dynamics for the Society of Automotive Engineers. That seminar has been discussed here in the past.

17 days until we load up and hit the road, and i will be out of town for 5 of those days. I think it's all good though, as i only have 2 small fab projects on the list. the rest is cosmetics and things that make it a better car, maybe not necessarily a better race car.

barefootcyborg5000
3/19/24 11:00 a.m.

budget_bandit
budget_bandit New Reader
3/19/24 11:29 a.m.

i'm really interested in your process and results for aging paint. I have similar motivations for my car, not wanting to mix and match nice new paint and old faded stuff. Thanks for being my guinea pig!

preach
preach GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
3/19/24 1:37 p.m.
barefootcyborg5000 said:

He's not wrong.

wvumtnbkr
wvumtnbkr GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
3/19/24 2:01 p.m.
John Welsh said:

Stickers:  Back in my Challenge years I applied the required stickers to sheet magnet bought through Amazon.  I chose to make the magnet "budget exempt", because it neither improved my performance nor appearance at the event.  All of its benefits were "post-event"

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B07VNN61FN/ref=ox_sc_act_image_1?smid=A29LMW6NEIXVUS&psc=1

30 mil is a good thickness.  That same magnet held the signs to my F250 for 5 years straight in all weather and all speeds. 

The GRM magnets lived on my garage refridge for years to follow.

I ordered a roll.  Should be enough for more than 1 car me thinks.

3/19/24 2:05 p.m.
preach said:
barefootcyborg5000 said:

He's not wrong.

design includes a narrow red stripe, which is currently masked and awaiting delivery of my red paint pens, which smell just like blue paint pens. y'all have to be patient. i need to spray coat #2 of white before i can peel the masking and do the red. forecast is for cold cold cold the rest of the week, so i'm going back to some other tasks until it warms up enough to paint.

QuasiMofo (John Brown)
QuasiMofo (John Brown) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
3/21/24 12:41 p.m.

Ahem. 

Some of us are doing nothing while waiting for more pixxors.

a_florida_man
a_florida_man GRM+ Memberand Dork
3/21/24 1:40 p.m.

It does appear that a crowd is forming....

budget_bandit
budget_bandit New Reader
3/21/24 1:49 p.m.

What does it look like?

chandler
chandler MegaDork
3/21/24 4:04 p.m.

RacetruckRon
RacetruckRon GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
3/21/24 4:53 p.m.

Dusterbd13-michael
Dusterbd13-michael MegaDork
3/21/24 5:45 p.m.

AngryCorvair has had his picture added beside "tease" in the dictionary 

barefootcyborg5000
3/21/24 6:36 p.m.
Dusterbd13-michael said:

AngryCorvair has had his picture added beside "tease" in the dictionary 

I second the motion and move to close. 

Recon1342
Recon1342 SuperDork
3/21/24 7:55 p.m.

Hey, Y'all be nice and give AC a break! He's only human!!!

AC- you got any of them paint pics yet?

NermalSnert (Forum Supporter)
NermalSnert (Forum Supporter) HalfDork
3/21/24 8:02 p.m.

3/21/24 8:20 p.m.

Second coat. Satin this time. Omg I berkeleying love it so much I want to berkeleying marry it.

wvumtnbkr
wvumtnbkr GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
3/21/24 8:33 p.m.

Blue balls.

1 ... 115 116 117 118 119 ... 133

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
gTXx5yLhwRyxw37v4OdTsaScwZnwTFSKnVb8nNUgCE6LBeH5SnMl19XwvMf0emZq