Sorry brother. Wish I had more.

AAZCD-Jon (Forum Supporter)
AAZCD-Jon (Forum Supporter) UltraDork
4/6/24 6:57 p.m.
Russian Warship, Go Berkeley Yourself said:
AAZCD-Jon (Forum Supporter) said:
barefootcyborg5000 said:
AngryCorvair (Forum Supporter) said:
New connecting rod knock makes second and subsequent runs impossible.

NO!!! That's the pits, man. You plan to send a drag pass? Or you hoping to keep the scattering bits un-scattered and salvage the engine for another event?

Check the oil for glitter. How much could one drag run hurt???

A shut down lane for cleanup after a thrown rod that limits passes for every other competitor... 

My only regret from the 2019 Challenge is that I didn't put in a bigger shot of NO and do one more run (because I didn't want to dump fluids and parts to clean up). Relax, have a cup of coffee, wait for that last competitive slot on the strip.

In reply to preach :

it's all good man. I'm a little too close to it right now to be able to say what the future holds. I've had a lot of encouragement to fix it, but like I said, right now I'm just too close to it. Thank you for the kind words.

RacetruckRon
RacetruckRon GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
4/6/24 7:42 p.m.

Yeah don't do a Hail Mary pass. Oiling down the track is the low end failure that could occur. That oil can also get under the rear tires and shove you straight into the wall

pres589 (djronnebaum)
pres589 (djronnebaum) UltimaDork
4/6/24 9:37 p.m.

I am really sorry things turned out this way this year.  It seems like you're really getting close with this car and what can be done with this set of rules. 

Pete. (l33t FS)
Pete. (l33t FS) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
4/6/24 9:39 p.m.
AngryCorvair (Forum Supporter) said:

In reply to preach :

it's all good man. I'm a little too close to it right now to be able to say what the future holds. I've had a lot of encouragement to fix it, but like I said, right now I'm just too close to it. Thank you for the kind words.

Very very fortunately, the crank is one of the few LT1 parts that can be SBC-cheap and not prone to the LT1-specific tax.  It's just a 3.48 stroke one piece seal crank, no funny business like EVERYTHING ELSE ON THE ENGINE, so if the journals are scored or egg shaped you can fix cheap.  And if they're not, some new bearings and Bob's your uncle.

Opti
Opti UltraDork
4/6/24 10:55 p.m.

I have a good (I think) LT1 crank you can have for shipping. I have a rod and piston set I'm not sure is good you can also have for shipping. 

maschinenbau
maschinenbau GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
4/7/24 8:08 a.m.

That sucks man sad My LT1 challenge car back in 2016 also developed rod knock. I had to replace the engine just s couple weeks before the Challenge. LT1s make great power stock, and some people have good luck building them, but they are not very durable engines or else you'd see tons more of them getting swapped IN to stuff instead of out. Sorry it couldn't hold together for the weekend. Let's rematch next year \m/

SkinnyG (Forum Supporter)
SkinnyG (Forum Supporter) PowerDork
4/7/24 11:15 a.m.
AngryCorvair (Forum Supporter) said:AZCD-Jon (Forum Supporter) said:

New connecting rod knock....

NOOOOOOO!!!!!

dherr (Forum Supporter)
dherr (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
4/7/24 12:17 p.m.

Bummer, we were all rooting for you, really sucks even more when you loose to a Biturbo smiley

Hopefully just needs the bearings refreshed and you are good to go but sorry to hear this after all the hard work it took to get it to this point. Something tells me you will be back at it once the dust settles.....

John Welsh
John Welsh Mod Squad
4/7/24 12:26 p.m.
dherr (Forum Supporter) said:

Bummer, we were all rooting for you, really sucks even more when you loose to a Biturbo smiley

Hopefully just needs the bearings refreshed and you are good to go but sorry to hear this after all the hard work it took to get it to this point. Something tells me you will be back at it once the dust settles.....

Oh, I too was thinking it my I was trying to let his wounds heal before digging it in.  But, since you've cast the stone...I'll pile on...

OMG, you got beat by a Maserati BiTurbo.  Out-run by a car notorius for not running!  

Keep your spirits up, I look so forward to this car running next year too!  It is the coolest car there!  

barefootcyborg5000
barefootcyborg5000 UltimaDork
4/7/24 1:16 p.m.

I mean, maybe it's a blessing? That car is unsafe at any speed, or so I've read. 

QuasiMofo (John Brown)
QuasiMofo (John Brown) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
4/7/24 1:21 p.m.

All being said the car was amazing on the track as it ran. No more 3 wheel action is sad face material but watching it turn in so efficiently was quite proper. 

I was working the course and was the closest person to the car besides Alan as the knocking started and it was heartbreaking. I looked at Jonny and said "Ope the engine just let go!" but he said it was the fan... it wasn't. 

Not the weekend we expected for Angry, but as an Involved Bystander I am hella proud at what my friend has done with this car.

wvumtnbkr
wvumtnbkr GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
4/7/24 1:48 p.m.

I have experience making in pan baffles for road race cars.

Like $1.00 in scrap metal hinges and I can talk you through making them.

rdcyclist
rdcyclist GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
4/7/24 1:54 p.m.

I too am supremely bummed for Angry. Never met him IRL but I would love to 'cuz it feels like we're friends from reading his build thread and many other posts. I was really hoping to see Monzora kick ass this year. Please fix it come back next year. I know it seems to have a hex or something but it's so close! And you can fix that berkeleyed up rear sway bar while you have the engine out!

AAZCD-Jon (Forum Supporter)
AAZCD-Jon (Forum Supporter) UltraDork
4/7/24 2:07 p.m.

Of course you were right not to run it in the drag. Many of us were just hoping to see it dominate after following along and feeling like we were there with you. Still Awesome. \m/

Pete. (l33t FS)
4/7/24 5:01 p.m.
Opti said:

I have a good (I think) LT1 crank you can have for shipping. I have a rod and piston set I'm not sure is good you can also have for shipping. 

Now I am wondering if it is at all possible to flipflop-engineer a way to replace a rod without pulling the heads, because if you pull the heads then you have to replace gaskets and that's expensive.

Might be sorta possibly maybe doable if Chevy were kind enough to use floating wristpins.  But they didn't.

maschinenbau
maschinenbau GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
4/7/24 5:37 p.m.

I'm not sure what the budget looks like but I mean some one has to say it.

LS swap

2025 is unlikely, I just have too much life to take care of before the car becomes a priority again. I might come down as part of another team, but I threw my name in the hat as "man I'd really like to be the guest judge someday" with Tom. And who's to say where life will have me in 2026.

chandler
chandler MegaDork
4/7/24 7:29 p.m.

I wish I was a little closer; I would either help or start a team. Me and Somebeach live here but no one else is really close by. Hope to see continued updates!

Kendall Frederick
Kendall Frederick GRM+ Memberand Reader
4/7/24 8:20 p.m.

Patrick, I just wanted to post and say that I enjoyed seeing you again and the work that you've done on the car since last year.  Give it a rest so that you recharge your motivation to work on it, then come back with fresh bearings and a new job (or maybe an IPO financed retirement!)

OHSCrifle
OHSCrifle GRM+ Memberand UberDork
4/7/24 10:21 p.m.

Hard luck man. Still a cool car and one we love to watch. Hopefully time will heal this wound and it'll be back for more.

\m/

wvumtnbkr
wvumtnbkr GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
4/7/24 10:21 p.m.
Pete. (l33t FS) said:
Opti said:

Now I am wondering if it is at all possible to flipflop-engineer a way to replace a rod without pulling the heads, because if you pull the heads then you have to replace gaskets and that's expensive.

Might be sorta possibly maybe doable if Chevy were kind enough to use floating wristpins.  But they didn't.

If the gaskets were fine, you can replace them for $free per the challenge rules.

Edit to say...  if you sacrificed a ring compressor to match the bottom of the bore, couldn't you pull a rod and piston and put it back in through the bottom?

Pete. (l33t FS)
4/7/24 11:10 p.m.

In reply to wvumtnbkr :

No, the main webs overhang the bores by a fair amount.

What is neat is, really old 3 main engines like Flathead Fords were engineered with big long blocks so you COULD assemble and disassemble from underneath.  From watching a old movie taken at a Ford plant, the bottoms of the bores had tapers so the assembly line worker could just jam the piston/rings/rod assembly in with no ring compressor.

1 ... 120 121 122 123 124 ... 132

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
n5h9dxOHY3lziLDjBmPtUYxpcj4fUiuLzQFpRVy3lE9UQsvk3fBWyoK15Es2euyy