1 ... 96 97 98 99 100 ... 133
AngryCorvair (Forum Supporter)
AngryCorvair (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
6/11/23 9:50 p.m.

I'm gonna have to remember to turn the camera on if I'm gonna make start-to-finish DIY videos. I was about halfway into cutting metal when I realized I didn't document the CAD process. Anyway, I'm working on the engine air filter box, making it out of aluminum from akylekoz.

i played around a little with folding, bending, and welding this material, since it has no markings on it anywhere. It cracks when folded, but was OK being bent via hammering around a piece of 3/4" square tube, so seems like 1/8"-ish radius is OK. And it welds OK with 5356 filler.

I hope to make a bit more progress tomorrow. And yes, I know I suck at welding aluminum.

6/12/23 9:59 p.m.

Well, it's the next day now and guess what?! I still suck at welding aluminum. But I got 3 of 4 sides of the air box base together:

and I'm pretty geeked about it. Still need to trim for shift cable clearance, and make the 4th piece to close the back of the box, then I'll move on to making the top. For now, you'll have to imagine it:

awesome, right?! I even shot a bunch of video and downloaded an editing app, so maybe in a day or two I'll have a new upload to my booming YouTube channel. wink

preach (dudeist priest)
preach (dudeist priest) GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
6/12/23 10:14 p.m.
AngryCorvair (Forum Supporter) said:

downloaded an editing app

DaVinci? That is what I attempt to use. The learning curve is pretty goord too.

6/12/23 10:47 p.m.

In reply to preach (dudeist priest) :

iMovie

6/12/23 11:14 p.m.

So here's my first iMovie edit:

NOHOME
NOHOME MegaDork
6/13/23 7:08 a.m.

One more subscriber to get you to that 1000 milestone.

Shavarsh
Shavarsh HalfDork
6/13/23 3:22 p.m.

That air filter tray is looking sliiick

6/14/23 10:26 p.m.

Didn't spend much time in the garage tonight. Let the horizontal band saw do some work for me while I made some CAD magic:

and transferred it to aluminum:

so I've got the sleeves for the C5 rear bar ready to go. Bought 12" of DOM 1" OD x .156" wall, which gives a nice slip fit. Couldn't don't anything in the usable drops bin, so had to pay prime stock price, almost $2/inch. Only used 8", story of my life.

Stay tuned!

6/16/23 12:26 p.m.

AW's paycheck deposited today, so i ordered my street tires. I'm going with Falken Azenis FK510s in 245/40zr17 front and 275/40zr17 rear. I get an insider deal, somewhere around 50% off IIRC, as an old friend is some kind of shooter at their parent company. I'm really looking forward to tuning the PCM, and the street tires will allow me to get going on that pretty soon. I still need to finish up the airflow management and insulate the header boxes, so at my pace I'm probably still 2 weeks out.

6/18/23 1:36 a.m.

CAD:

Metal:

I think it came out OK. I even formed a little bell mouth for the outlet:

Dusterbd13-michael
Dusterbd13-michael MegaDork
6/18/23 6:47 a.m.

That is WAY more awesome than what i thought it was gonna be! 

Now i have to wonder: can you flap wheel down the welds, build them uo and repeat the process a couple more times, polish it and call the while intake tube decorative trim? I think polished aluminum decorative trim inside the cabin would be pretty woth the corvair dash and door trim.

6/18/23 8:30 p.m.

In reply to Dusterbd13-michael :

That sounds like it would take a lot of time. And a lot of filler rod.

maschinenbau
maschinenbau GRM+ Memberand UberDork
6/18/23 8:52 p.m.

Everyone has air-cooled seats these day but only you have an air-cooled arm rest! 

Opti
Opti SuperDork
6/18/23 9:04 p.m.

In reply to Dusterbd13-michael :

I like the idea of integrating it into the design of the interior.

Could just paint it blue to match everything else and make or repurpose some aluminum waterfall trim on the pipe, wrap the airbox/armrest in blue vynil, and instead of a silicone coupler make a leather belt/sleeve as the coupler. Itd all be period-ish.

6/19/23 1:50 p.m.

y'all are more artsy than me.

6/19/23 3:20 p.m.

Air box video part 2. I deleted the first version of this and uploaded a new one with some voice-over in the time lapse sections:

preach (dudeist priest)
6/19/23 3:58 p.m.

Big props for having Sabbath Bloody Sabbath playing in the background.  \m/

Might want to worry about copyright crap if you do end up monetized.

6/19/23 4:00 p.m.
preach (dudeist priest) said:

Big props for having Sabbath Bloody Sabbath playing in the background.  \m/

Might want to worry about copyright crap if you do end up monetized.

Yeah, I'll have to turn off the music in the garage eventually. I heart Black Sabbath. 

preach (dudeist priest)
6/19/23 4:09 p.m.

Ozzy only for me.

I had a fantastic vid of me in my Cayman in a canyon and coming down I saw no one going up so I was excited for the run up that I forgot to turn the music off and the song was perfect for the run. Before I got rid of the vid on youtube due to some potential trouble for spirited driving I had to put crap music overdubbed. 

Kyuss' 50 million year trip is one of my favorite songs to this day and reminds me of that run up the hill every time it plays.

6/19/23 4:46 p.m.

In reply to preach (dudeist priest) :

I go both ways: Ozzy and RJD both work for me. 

Wicked93gs
Wicked93gs Reader
6/19/23 7:39 p.m.

I would love to do a mid-engine Corvair build one day, but that day is far in the future if ever. I love this thing though.

chandler
chandler MegaDork
6/20/23 9:19 p.m.
preach (dudeist priest) said:

Ozzy only for me.

I had a fantastic vid of me in my Cayman in a canyon and coming down I saw no one going up so I was excited for the run up that I forgot to turn the music off and the song was perfect for the run. Before I got rid of the vid on youtube due to some potential trouble for spirited driving I had to put crap music overdubbed. 

Kyuss' 50 million year trip is one of my favorite songs to this day and reminds me of that run up the hill every time it plays.

Still blows my mind the Kyuss became Queens of the Stone Age.

Also, car still rocks!

6/22/23 12:28 a.m.

Rear bar almost complete, just need to bolt it up so I can tack the ends, then remove it again to finish weld the ends. Progress!

preach (dudeist priest)
6/22/23 12:50 a.m.

Cranberries at the end?

preach (dudeist priest)
6/22/23 7:35 a.m.

Algorithems ar fun...

I'm just going to leave this here since it popped up:

1 ... 96 97 98 99 100 ... 133

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners