1 ... 97 98 99 100 101 ... 133
ExcessKuma
ExcessKuma Reader
6/22/23 10:16 a.m.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1oxfy5f2Ai9Q2VqPbwum-BcZjoehl3jeO/view?usp=drivesdk

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1p49m41KFVLnIEHp7lUubMM4qHzqHiKo-/view?usp=drivesdk

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1p-fzn_0qeFRyeWl66UmlulJbAgkcsb65/view?usp=drivesdk

I totally didn't remember to upload these right now for Monzora

AngryCorvair (Forum Supporter)
AngryCorvair (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
6/22/23 10:38 a.m.
preach (dudeist priest) said:

Algorithems ar fun...

I'm just going to leave this here since it popped up:

That's me in the left lane and dherr in the right, and mental on the camera. I think dherr might have run me down, as I was feathering the throttle due to clutch slipping for the last 1/8. I was happy to dip into the 13's.

dherr (Forum Supporter)
dherr (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand Dork
6/22/23 11:16 a.m.

Yes, that was a fun Challenge year. The turbo Spitfire had zero traction off the line and ran horrible 60' times but would roll through the quarter. I think the best run I had was a 12.9 at 108 MPH. The Spitfire I built with the Mazda drivetrain would have destroyed that car, but it also cost 5 times as much to build.

I am picking up a Spitfire project for cheap again, so you never know, might be back someday!

Great to see Monzora getting prepared for being a street car, that will really let you get the bugs worked out and next year's challenge, watch out!

6/25/23 5:35 p.m.

Anybody who knows me knows I hate C5 wagon wheels. But they also know I love the $2000 Challenge. Today I saved close to $100 in my 2024 budget.

I will probably paint them black and hope no one notices them.

Pete. (l33t FS)
Pete. (l33t FS) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
6/25/23 6:22 p.m.

In reply to AngryCorvair (Forum Supporter) :

White. Five spoke wheels need to be white.

If you paint them black you have to put the two little red stripes on one of the spokes and that is a lot of work

6/25/23 6:49 p.m.
Pete. (l33t FS) said:

White. Five spoke wheels need to be white.

759NRNG
759NRNG PowerDork
6/25/23 7:26 p.m.

GERLZ!!! BRONZE.....Now go to your roomz.....capeche???

6/28/23 11:12 p.m.

After spending some quality time looking for the leak in the washing machine, I got out to the garage tonight and finished welding up the rear bar.

I think I can finally get back to engine box heat management.

7/5/23 11:31 p.m.

Recent progress, with a few days of family vaca mixed in. Trimmed the combustion air snorkel and couplers:

Then jacked up right side of car to measure front suspension droop. With front bar attached, front suspension droops 2". With front bar detached, it droops 3.5".

Doing a similar but less formal check on the rear, the rear bar doesn't seem to have nearly the same effect on droop travel. Given the shape of the rear bar, and the 38/62 weight distribution, I think I'm gonna have to find a much larger rear bar. 

dherr (Forum Supporter)
dherr (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand Dork
7/6/23 1:32 p.m.

Tuning, the long and laborious part of any build. Fun to watch this progress and the challenge will be really fun to watch next year once you have had a full year to make all the adjustments.

7/10/23 11:40 a.m.

Didn't have much time to work on the car this weekend, just some CAD for extending header heat shields. I didn't take any pix, but here's a 4-minute video:

All these profile shots suggest that I need to lose the gut.

Robbie (Forum Supporter)
Robbie (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
7/10/23 12:42 p.m.

I mean, I thought the tek screw snorkel to factory plastic airbox I did in the parking lot was pretty good, but now I think you need a pillow and cupholder for your airbox so it doubles as a center console.

Edit, here's my design

stafford1500
stafford1500 GRM+ Memberand Dork
7/10/23 12:47 p.m.

I'm still surprised my sheet metal work on the center console has survived this long...

I did try to keep the sharp edges tucked away from his elbow.

7/10/23 12:48 p.m.

In reply to Robbie (Forum Supporter) :

i did not know that was your handiwork.  now i have another name to add to the "MonZora would like to thank..." thread

my buddy James gave me the titanium tailpipe from his rear-ended GT4 BMW, and said "make something for the Corvair out of this," so i'm repurposing the tips into a cupholder.

7/10/23 12:49 p.m.
stafford1500 said:

I'm still surprised my sheet metal work on the center console has survived this long...

I did try to keep the sharp edges tucked away from his elbow.

i'm going to add a couple attachment points, but what you did is certainly up to my standards. :-)

Robbie (Forum Supporter)
Robbie (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
7/10/23 12:59 p.m.
AngryCorvair (Forum Supporter) said:

In reply to Robbie (Forum Supporter) :

i did not know that was your handiwork.  now i have another name to add to the "MonZora would like to thank..." thread

my buddy James gave me the titanium tailpipe from his rear-ended GT4 BMW, and said "make something for the Corvair out of this," so i'm repurposing the tips into a cupholder.

I'll take "just the tip" for $200, Alex. 

7/12/23 6:11 p.m.

OK everybody, on the count of 3 I want you to say "Angry, you're an shiny happy person!"

1... 2... 3...

in case you're wondering why *this time*, well, let's just say that number 8 spark plug was only finger tight. There are probably more, but I started with number 8 and felt like an immediate confession was necessary.

wvumtnbkr
wvumtnbkr GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
7/12/23 6:22 p.m.

Been there.  Done that.  And then put the plug wires on in the incorrect order.

Pete. (l33t FS)
7/12/23 6:22 p.m.

Don't feel too bad, major manufacturers who shall remain nameless Honda had had issues with certain engines DOHC Fit coming off the assembly line with loose spark plugs.

Now, if you had a Ford, you could claim innocence and say they all did that smiley

stafford1500
stafford1500 GRM+ Memberand Dork
7/12/23 6:25 p.m.

There goes the award for best exhaust note

OR

it backed out from all that chassis twist

7/12/23 6:33 p.m.

In reply to stafford1500 :

It should sound even better with all this newfound compression!

7/12/23 8:35 p.m.

Final count:

2 plugs loose

3 plugs finger tight

3 plugs "socket in hand" tight

Kendall Frederick
Kendall Frederick GRM+ Memberand Reader
7/12/23 8:43 p.m.

I started a motor with a rod cap on finger tight...  

Pete. (l33t FS)
7/12/23 8:49 p.m.
Kendall Frederick said:

A name engine builder who used to work with where I used to work did that.  On an LS2 in a C5 Corvette.

It didn't blow up, thankfully, and he was upset that he was asked to pay for the labor of pulling a C5 oil pan in chassis to fix the problem.

People make mistakes.  It is a thing that happens and will always happen.  What counts is how mistakes are handled.

Kendall Frederick
Kendall Frederick GRM+ Memberand Reader
7/12/23 9:36 p.m.
Pete. (l33t FS) said:
Kendall Frederick said:

A name engine builder who used to work with where I used to work did that.  On an LS2 in a C5 Corvette.

It didn't blow up, thankfully, and he was upset that he was asked to pay for the labor of pulling a C5 oil pan in chassis to fix the problem.

People make mistakes.  It is a thing that happens and will always happen.  What counts is how mistakes are handled.

Mine broke the rod about half way through the cam break in.  I was saying "maybe it's just a lifter that needs to pump up.." and BLAM.  :-D  It broke off the bottom of one cylinder; I sleeved it, put another crank and a couple of new rods in it (it damaged the adjacent rod going out) and had it running a week later.  Ahh, youth.  :-)

1 ... 97 98 99 100 101 ... 133

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
mpqPmMORkmiv4ICVtA5xWHebf8dgu7HSwlYROInDBHNQ33SbYN84Ne7zxn8E1ruk