1 ... 6 7 8 9 10 ... 20
Petrolburner
Petrolburner HalfDork
11/9/15 2:51 p.m.
Ian F wrote: In reply to Petrolburner: OK. Try to visualize this (if you can't let me know and I'll sketch something up in CAD and email it to you): Place L-track perpendicular to the tank, centered between the feet. Cut two pieces of angle or bar-stock that are long enough to span to distance between the feet supports on each side of the tank. Drill a hole over the L-track. Place bolts in the L-track that go through the holes you just drilled. Add a washer and a nut and crank it down. Make sense?

I get what your saying, but I don't think the L-track is necessary that way. All I need is a a single bolt running through the floor the way you're describing it, I think. Even just one wide piece of flat stock to spread out the load, as wide as will fit in the leg braces off the tank would be fine. One good thing is that the floor in this spot is easy to access and I can pretty much drill anywhere I want and not hit anything important.

Petrolburner
Petrolburner HalfDork
11/9/15 2:53 p.m.
trigun7469 wrote: Looks like this would make a pretty cool kart hauler as well

Yes it would. You could probably stack them on top of each other and carry 4 karts.

More pitchers, behold the big white girl that everyone secretly wants to try out...

java230
java230 Reader
11/9/15 2:59 p.m.
Petrolburner wrote:
Ian F wrote: In reply to Petrolburner: OK. Try to visualize this (if you can't let me know and I'll sketch something up in CAD and email it to you): Place L-track perpendicular to the tank, centered between the feet. Cut two pieces of angle or bar-stock that are long enough to span to distance between the feet supports on each side of the tank. Drill a hole over the L-track. Place bolts in the L-track that go through the holes you just drilled. Add a washer and a nut and crank it down. Make sense?
I get what your saying, but I don't think the L-track is necessary that way. All I need is a a single bolt running through the floor the way you're describing it, I think. Even just one wide piece of flat stock to spread out the load, as wide as will fit in the leg braces off the tank would be fine. One good thing is that the floor in this spot is easy to access and I can pretty much drill anywhere I want and not hit anything important.

That sounds like a plan to me. Wide piece of flat bar, a bolt with a tab of some sort welded on the top to act like a 'wing bolt' and a nut welded under the body.

Petrolburner
Petrolburner HalfDork
11/9/15 3:04 p.m.

In reply to java230:

Except without any welding. Just a wide piece of steel with a hole for a bolt to drop through, and a hole in the floor for the bolt to go through and then just a big washer and nut underneath. All those extra mounting holes in my floor are "drain holes."

Ian F
Ian F MegaDork
11/9/15 3:15 p.m.

In reply to Petrolburner:

Two bolts - one on each side of the tank, with the bar/flat stock parallel to the tank.

I suppose that would work too. My thought with using the L-track would is it keeps it all inside the van once installed.

I have visions of fumbling around under the van in the dark trying to remove or install the compressor at 11PM before you leave the next day for an event. Plus, there's that annoying thing of needing two people: one under the van to hold one wrench while the other is up top (99% of the time I'm working alone).

Petrolburner
Petrolburner HalfDork
11/9/15 4:04 p.m.

In reply to Ian F:

Fortunately it's right next to the door so you can reach the top and bottom simultaneously. What kind of L-track connector would I use though? I only have tie down rings.

Ian F
Ian F MegaDork
11/9/15 4:08 p.m.

In reply to Petrolburner:

I've seen a standard hex-head bolt slid in from the end of the track.

Petrolburner
Petrolburner HalfDork
11/9/15 4:15 p.m.

What gear oil and friction modifier do I need? Dana 60 with the Ford track lock in pretty sure.

OHSCrifle
OHSCrifle GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
11/9/15 8:00 p.m.

What about something like this?

klb67
klb67 Reader
11/10/15 8:35 a.m.

All you want to do is hold the tank in place, and be able to remove it if you want, right? I think a lot of these are overly complex. Google adjustable draw latch. I'd mount one end of a strap to the floor near the van wall permanently, and mount a draw latch on the other end of the strap. Mount a hook or tab or loop, or even a D ring, on the floor - whatever the draw latch can latch onto. Run the strap and latch over the middle of the tank under the motor, hook the draw latch, and use the lever to tighten. Think fire extinguisher holder. I can think of several variations on how you could mount the draw strap depending on your preference.

Draw latch 1

Draw latch2

Petrolburner
Petrolburner HalfDork
11/12/15 1:51 p.m.

Seats from a newer XLT. They're a nicer material and they have arm rests as compared to the ones that came with my XL. $200 for the pair on craigslist. Had a friend pick them up and deliver them partway.

Comparison shot

It's a little more finkicky to spin these due to the armrests. I really wanted armrests though.

There was already a big power wire run to the rear for the lift. I pulled it off of the underhood relay and attached it directly to the battery. I'd love to have a breaker on this just in case. Anyway, I picked up a 6 circuit distribution panel with fuses from Blue Sea. I had one of their switch panels on a boat when I lived in Florida and really like the quality.

It has its own chassis ground, using an old seat belt mount bolt and some anti corrosion spray. I have the fan wired up on its own circuit, it's the only one with a fuse in it. I also have the power wire connected for the pin in my trailer lights but no fuse at the moment. The Reverse lights are using one of the ground spots, but the power is tapped right into the tailight harness. I'd like a separate switch to use the rear light bar as a work light but I need to wire in a relay for that and I just don't have time before the departure for Baja. I have a relay in my misc electric box and I'll take it along and maybe wire it up while camped on the beach.

Things accomplished yesterday; changed oil on the XR, changed oil on the van, checked differential oil on van (topped off, book says 3.2 quarts and I think the shop that did it previously just said 3 bottles is probably close enough.) Installed XR suspension after M-Tech rebuild, installed new LED headlight, cleaned up and streamlined wire harness on the XR, got more parts from Lowe's and O'Reilly's, wired the MaxxFan, lights and fuse panel, swapped seats in the van, made dinner, dialed in the air pressure for my Trailhead Deflators, executed my on board air compressor mounting plan although it actually didn't work and I'll need to redo it. I'm just going to use some universal battery tie down J-hooks and forget about being able to remove it easily. I'll rarely need to remove it and when I do I'll need electrical quick connects too and that E36 M3 just ain't happening before I leave for Baja Saturday. Still to do before Baja; install and wire inverter, wire air compressor, find the stick on levels I bought to mount in the cockpit and mount them, add a leaf to rear suspension, fix the squeaky headliner or I will lose my berkeleying mind on this road trip, tie down the air compressor and wash the footprints off the roof. I can get that all done tomorrow after work right? Then I can start packing.

java230
java230 Reader
11/12/15 2:41 p.m.

Blue sea is good stuff. Sounds like your just about ready to leave already....

A question: Do you have any rear speakers in your van? I tried to add some, tapped into the harness for rear speakers, but there is no output. UNLESS I used the tape deck, then they magically work. Very strange....

Petrolburner
Petrolburner HalfDork
11/12/15 3:17 p.m.
java230 wrote: Blue sea is good stuff. Sounds like your just about ready to leave already.... A question: Do you have any rear speakers in your van? I tried to add some, tapped into the harness for rear speakers, but there is no output. UNLESS I used the tape deck, then they magically work. Very strange....

Yes, I have two rear speakers in the rear doors. There is a spot for a 5th in the side door, and the harness is there too. I might install one there someday. I think I'd be better off with 4 good speakers and a new head unit.

java230
java230 Reader
11/12/15 3:37 p.m.
Petrolburner wrote:
java230 wrote: Blue sea is good stuff. Sounds like your just about ready to leave already.... A question: Do you have any rear speakers in your van? I tried to add some, tapped into the harness for rear speakers, but there is no output. UNLESS I used the tape deck, then they magically work. Very strange....
Yes, I have two rear speakers in the rear doors. There is a spot for a 5th in the side door, and the harness is there too. I might install one there someday. I think I'd be better off with 4 good speakers and a new head unit.

Strange. Mine had the harness also, but no output when listening to the radio on the stock HU.

EvanR
EvanR Dork
11/12/15 4:45 p.m.
Petrolburner wrote: There was already a big power wire run to the rear for the lift. I pulled it off of the underhood relay and attached it directly to the battery. I'd love to have a breaker on this just in case.

Pretty please do this. I'd rather not see your van burn to the ground. It's a pretty van.

Petrolburner
Petrolburner HalfDork
11/12/15 5:16 p.m.

In reply to EvanR:

Yeah it seemed odd that the wheelchair lift install guys didn't do it, unless the relay looking thing had one built in?

EvanR
EvanR Dork
11/12/15 6:26 p.m.

If it looked like this, it was a circuit breaker, not a relay. I used these when I installed wheelchair lifts.

Petrolburner
Petrolburner HalfDork
11/12/15 6:34 p.m.

In reply to EvanR:

No, it was round, had two large terminals, and three small terminals. I'll post a picture tonight.

Petrolburner
Petrolburner HalfDork
11/13/15 10:38 a.m.

Finally got the compressor mounted. I ended up using some flat steel bar stock from the wheelchair lift and two bolts. It's not quick release but it's solid and it can be removed without to much hassle. I have no idea when I'll ever remove it, and when I do I'll have to get some quick connects for the wiring installed.

Petrolburner
Petrolburner HalfDork
11/13/15 11:28 p.m.

Compressor is wired up, with a breaker, thanks for the nudge. I put down some more L track and we're almost fully loaded and ready to roll out. Driving all night so we don't have to see how boring I 5 is.

mazdeuce
mazdeuce PowerDork
11/14/15 5:37 a.m.

Have fun in Baja, I love that place.

Petrolburner
Petrolburner HalfDork
11/24/15 8:17 p.m.

Back home after 2865 miles in the Motovan and 350 hard miles on the XRRs. No major injuries or mechanical issues on anything. Success.

Modifications that were awesome;

-WeldTec Suspension

-Redoval HID retrofit

-Auxillary Reverse lights

-Puma Aircompressor and Trailhead deflators

-Loft bed -L-track

Vent fan worked fine and all but wasn't supercritical on this trip. Also, if you run it at too high of a speed while on a dirt road, it will pull dust in through the back door. Better to just run the stock climate control fans to keep the van slightly pressurized.

2002maniac
2002maniac Dork
11/25/15 9:34 a.m.

I'm super jealous of the baja trip. I was down there in May and it seems like it's been way too long! I need to go back with motos. What spots did you camp/ride at?

java230
java230 Reader
11/25/15 10:02 a.m.

Yep I need to get back to baja. Its been a long time.....

Petrolburner
Petrolburner HalfDork
11/26/15 2:55 p.m.

A picture laden ride report has been started here:

http://advrider.com/index.php?threads/wandering-baja-in-a-motovan-stuffed-with-xrrs-and-no-script.1108183/

1 ... 6 7 8 9 10 ... 20

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
NLqoumUodoKJCCwkg86MrhWD3MxDPYp2itGaG01KILov5gohYpKrfVovdMLuiCvU