1 ... 19 20 21 22 23 ... 38
MrChaos
MrChaos GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
10/24/16 5:53 p.m.

fiberglass patch since it is only going to be temporary. Especially where that rust is located. Get it down to bare metal then rust convert it and then prime it and put the fiberglass patch over it.

Dusterbd13
Dusterbd13 PowerDork
10/24/16 6:02 p.m.
MrChaos wrote: fiberglass patch since it is only going to be temporary. Especially where that rust is located. Get it down to bare metal then rust convert it and then prime it and put the fiberglass patch over it.

This.

wheelsmithy
wheelsmithy GRM+ Memberand Dork
10/24/16 7:52 p.m.
Toyman01 wrote: Next up is a question. What is the easiest semi-permanent fix.

Oooh, Oooh, try some of that rust inhibiting body filler (and report back on how it holds). Eastwood sells it, and I'm mighty curious.

BrokenYugo
BrokenYugo UltimaDork
10/24/16 8:10 p.m.

Can you get at the backside of these holes easily?

Toyman01
Toyman01 GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
10/24/16 8:27 p.m.

In reply to BrokenYugo:

Of course not. At least not easily. The fender would probably have to come off and the hood is doubled up there.

In reply to wheelsmithy,

That sounds interesting. I'll be looking into that for sure.

BrokenYugo
BrokenYugo UltimaDork
10/24/16 9:28 p.m.

In that case I'll third sealing it up with primer and laying some fiberglass tape and resin over it, won't be very pretty doing it from the front but it will cover the hole as long as you want it to. That or "kitty hair" (glass filled) filler, but that would probably be harder to remove should you even want to go back and do it right.

bearmtnmartin
bearmtnmartin GRM+ Memberand Dork
10/24/16 9:49 p.m.

Exanding foam is very simple. Spray it in and trim/sand to suit. But it will exacerbate the rust if you leave it too long.

NOHOME
NOHOME PowerDork
10/25/16 6:46 a.m.

Couple of these should cover just fine for the specified duration.

Toyman01
11/12/16 3:06 p.m.

I made a decision about the paint line on the front.

The red strip is going to continue around the nose from side to side. That will make the leading edge of the hood red. It may taper down to a inch or so by the time it gets to the front of the hood though. I need to let this paint dry well so I can play with the tape again.

java230
java230 Dork
11/12/16 3:47 p.m.

Looks great! Man that don't needs to be done though, the rest looks so dapper compared to it.

MrChaos
MrChaos GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
11/12/16 11:08 p.m.

Is the grill going to be painted red as well?

SyntheticBlinkerFluid
SyntheticBlinkerFluid UltimaDork
11/13/16 12:42 a.m.

Have you figured out something about replacing that door? I know you're not going to find an original, but that just looks out of place.

Petrolburner
Petrolburner Dork
11/13/16 1:15 a.m.

Great combination of continuity and accentuating the curves!

Toyman01
11/13/16 7:41 a.m.

The door is going to be a project in itself. My original plan was going to be replacing it with another wood door. Something in mahogany or cedar. That may still happen.

My other thought is to build a steel framed door that matches the curve on the other side of the bus. Duplicating this curve on the other side.

With the door closed, it would disappear into the bus. That project would suck, but it would allow me to install a roll down window in the door. The door is probably going to be the next major project.

Toyman01
11/13/16 7:43 a.m.

The red grill? Maybe. I started painting it with the darker green and didn't like it. I may continue the lighter color down into the grill. I may also paint the grill white. I'm going to have to try a couple of things and see what looks best.

RossD
RossD UltimaDork
11/13/16 7:50 a.m.

50s Cream color on the grille. Or the roof color. I would do the cream though.

Wall-e
Wall-e GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
11/13/16 8:23 p.m.

Another vote for a cream grill and maybe wheels. I'm also interested in seeing what you do for a door.

SyntheticBlinkerFluid
11/13/16 8:34 p.m.

I definitely think a Cream Grille and color matched wheels would look right.

As for the door, this is a long shot and probably an expensive one at that, but what about having a metal fab shop build you a door? They could probably make the outer skin look like he rest of the body.

Toyman01
11/14/16 9:43 a.m.

Well, that's a problem. That's not water beading up on top of the paint unfortunately.

Looks like the rain came before the paint set fully. I would have thought 12 hours for an acrylic would have been plenty. I guess the cool temps and overcast slowed it down. One fender still looks perfect, but I guess I'll be stripping one of them and the hood.

java230
java230 Dork
11/14/16 9:45 a.m.

Bummer. That's no fun.

SyntheticBlinkerFluid
11/14/16 12:27 p.m.

Well that sucks

Toyman01
11/14/16 4:26 p.m.

Update. I checked it again when I got home.

Almost all the bubbles are gone. I'm going to leave it alone and see what happens for now.

81cpcamaro
81cpcamaro Dork
11/14/16 7:31 p.m.

Wow, that wild. Never seen paint bubbles go away like that. Hopefully it means it isn't a problem now.

Mad_Ratel
Mad_Ratel Dork
11/15/16 7:18 a.m.

WATER Trapped under the paint that offgassed when the sun hit it?

golfduke
golfduke HalfDork
11/15/16 7:26 a.m.

Interesting... Also, I was curious- What are your plans for the Alaskan Truck camper that you have once SanFord is done to your liking? Because, uh, if you were to ever consider parting with it... dibs.

1 ... 19 20 21 22 23 ... 38

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
Ysd9ouxjxz2SOEaKqfyqNuqBHFa2YkieOr4SFFtt6u3dILYQpCvmrifC11FVrBnB