1 2 3 4 5 6 ... 12
mikedd969
mikedd969 New Reader
6/27/18 7:25 p.m.

Love this thread and your spirit of carrying on despite the physical limitations!

If you need assistance, I'm probably not far away (Daphne, AL) and I'd be honored to lend my (admittedly questionable) skills if I could help in any way.  

It wouldn't be my first time wrenching on an air-cooled Porsche.  Back in the late 80's while living in Sicily I bought a clapped-out 78 911 with a "ventilated" crankcase (for $1500) and manged to get it back on the road for a truly magical year or so before I moved back to the US. What an adventure that was!  No internet, no english service-manual, not speaking the local language..... If memory serves, I got the engine out of an 84 that I found in a junkyard.  I gave $200, 4 bottles of Jim Beam  and 8 cartons of Marlboro Reds for that engine. The completed car looked like hell, and driving an air-cooled car in the summer heat in Sicily was a challenge sometimes to say the least, but good Lord what fun it was on those twisty mountain roads...... I still miss that car every single day, ugly paint and all.

Ovid_and_Flem
Ovid_and_Flem Dork
6/27/18 7:32 p.m.
Pete Gossett said:

In reply to Ovid_and_Flem :

So yours is a LeaKing?

You so funny! It really leaks without a rear glass. LOL

Ovid_and_Flem
Ovid_and_Flem Dork
6/27/18 7:36 p.m.

In reply to mikedd969 :

Thanks, Mike.  I may be calling on you. Better yet why don't we get a big Gathering I'll drag the car down to your neck of the woods and sit on the beach while all my grm friends finish the car! I'll let you know.

Have you taken your cross-country trip yet? Call me when you're in Jackson if you haven't and I'll take you to lunch.

Ovid_and_Flem
Ovid_and_Flem Dork
6/28/18 12:44 p.m.

Tackling cleaning old, nasty PDs to get ready for paint

After first scrub....Sweating like a whore in church.

Inspiration. ...Keen Safari #2.  Built for guy who owns Weathertek floor mat company.

Keen #1 & #2

minivan_racer
minivan_racer UberDork
6/28/18 1:02 p.m.

Good question,  it disappeared entirely even when I go to edit.  Pesky hotlinks.

Ovid_and_Flem
Ovid_and_Flem Dork
6/28/18 1:07 p.m.

Everybody building theese is calling them Safari. Accordingly I have named mine and have a logo to commemorate the Paris to Dakar Rally.

laugh

Pete Gossett
Pete Gossett GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
6/28/18 2:41 p.m.

Maybe Seth or one of our other members with a vinyl cutter can make that logo into some decals for the car?

Ovid_and_Flem
Ovid_and_Flem Dork
6/28/18 3:29 p.m.

In reply to Pete Gossett :

DA-KAR...just realized  the double entendre. Damn the stroke has slowed my head downfrown 

AngryCorvair
AngryCorvair GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
6/28/18 3:36 p.m.

hey man, are you gonna drive da truck?

teamilluminata
teamilluminata HalfDork
6/28/18 4:03 p.m.

Love it. I had that logo on my Cherokee:

Ovid_and_Flem
Ovid_and_Flem Dork
6/28/18 4:15 p.m.

In reply to teamilluminata :

Hey, Paul. Tried to call you today but couldn't get through. What kind of camber and Caster are you running on yours?

Love the 'kee.

Shout out to team illuminata!

teamilluminata
teamilluminata HalfDork
6/28/18 4:32 p.m.

Suspension and geometry is all stock, though I'd love a bit more front camber sometimes.

minivan_racer
minivan_racer UberDork
6/28/18 8:21 p.m.

There you go sir.

Ovid_and_Flem
Ovid_and_Flem Dork
6/28/18 8:56 p.m.

In reply to minivan_racer :

THANKS!!!!!!laugh

Woody
Woody GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
6/28/18 9:56 p.m.

My cousin was at the East Africa Safari Rally a few years ago. There were a bunch of air cooled 911s there.

Ovid_and_Flem
Ovid_and_Flem Dork
6/28/18 10:18 p.m.

In reply to Woody :

The Tuthill gang. They really do it right.

Ovid_and_Flem
Ovid_and_Flem Dork
6/29/18 11:44 a.m.

Painless dent repair?

Any ideas whether this roof can be relatively straightened.  I'm not looking for perfect but just presentable until a final decision on respray.

​​​​

Top pic is with a straight edge laid across the dent. No real creases in the metal and doesn't go over any distinct body line crease.   No paint broke or cracked.  Easy access to underside of roof with rear glass out. I can press on the inside and see the metal move on the outside

Woody
Woody GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
6/29/18 12:06 p.m.

I’d try parking the car in the sun for an hour or so and then drop some dry ice into the dent. 

84FSP
84FSP SuperDork
6/29/18 12:11 p.m.

The paintless dent guys are amazing and generally worth the cash if it saves paint.

Ovid_and_Flem
Ovid_and_Flem Dork
6/29/18 1:35 p.m.

In reply to Woody :

giving it a shot

NOT A TA
NOT A TA Dork
6/29/18 1:43 p.m.

Bathroom plunger in the center of the dent withthe water from melting  ice in it & pull up

Dirtydog
Dirtydog GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
6/29/18 1:57 p.m.
NOT A TA said:

Bathroom plunger in the center of the dent withthe water from melting  ice in it & pull up

There you go.  That will pull the E36M3 out of it!!!

Ovid_and_Flem
Ovid_and_Flem Dork
6/29/18 2:02 p.m.

In reply to NOT A TA :

Now you tell me!  Ice turned to steam in about 5 mins.  NADA.  Thanks for suggestion. Paintless Dent guys are coming Monday for a house call.

NOT A TA
NOT A TA Dork
6/29/18 2:43 p.m.
Ovid_and_Flem said:

In reply to NOT A TA :

Now you tell me!  Ice turned to steam in about 5 mins.  NADA.  Thanks for suggestion. Paintless Dent guys are coming Monday for a house call.

Tried to catch ya right away when I saw the pic. Needs to be done quick. Like Woody said, get it hot, apply ice, as soon as there's a puddle PLUNGE!

edizzle89
edizzle89 Dork
6/29/18 2:52 p.m.

i'd say a swift uppercut from inside or a couple solid plunger pulls from the top might do the job

1 2 3 4 5 6 ... 12

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
VGsPijCtjZ0lGfCGHhZ4xkf95c3Nb8QQKYRxct6OKAz1TfoGZCOdoTAeTp6pCKUO