1 2 3 4 5 6 ... 10
badwaytolive
badwaytolive New Reader
4/10/18 3:05 p.m.

FWIW, I agree with your chosen lift location.

We're doing pretty much the same thing in my friend's shop. In the far corner with appropriate buffer space. The lift should be in sometime next month, but we have the car in place right now. So far the spacing seems good.

damen

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
4/10/18 3:26 p.m.

Another tweak, now with more cars. And yes, one of them has the dimensions of a 1966 Cadillac while another has the dimensions of a VW Westfalia wink Green is workbench, red is toolboxes, grey is storage (may add more to this). Still thinking about moving the lift towards the door by a foot or two, but I'm happy with the lateral location I think. The  lean-to location is pretty much where it has to be given a few other considerations, and the heat source is currently a hanging infrared heater that's above the open work area. Currently there's about 400 square feet of storage in that drawing. I'm going to spend some time tomorrow measuring the area of my current workbenches and maybe replace some of them with shelves in the drawing.

I do have a 2-car garage for the daily drivers.

acheron64
acheron64 New Reader
4/10/18 3:38 p.m.

the nano stations are set and forget, part of the airmax range for longhaul links.

the access point will run under unifi controller, this allows all ubiquiti access points on your property to mesh. if you added a network switch to the end of the bridge, ubiquiti has a range of cameras that work under the same controller.

the only absolute must with the nanostations is to use shielded ethernet cable, ubiquit power injectors have a ground built in. 

great product, very stable and a completley different animal to other types of wifi extenders.

APEowner
APEowner GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
4/10/18 4:00 p.m.
Keith Tanner said:

But how do I get to the parking if someone put a lift in the way?

I tend to think of it as long term because that's what we concentrate on here at FM, and most of my upcoming lift requirements are of the "first the engine comes out" variety. But mostly I didn't want the lift in the way of day to day use, and if I can't get past it I've just lost the biggest chunk of my day-to-day parking.

The rear of the shop will be the working area, with the welder bench, heat and tool storage back there. The front is for parking because I hate to have to move multiple cars to get one out.

I was thinking that you could park in the lift bay but as you mention in other posts putting it near the wide door essentially eliminates a parking space and putting in front of the narrow door is just awkward. The ideal location is the one that most often works with your workflow and it sounds like you're proposed location does that.

APEowner
APEowner GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
4/10/18 4:07 p.m.

You posted while I was typing.  I like the layout.  Where are things like the engine hoist, engine stand(s) and welder(s) are going to go?

Keith Tanner
4/10/18 4:39 p.m.

The engine hoist lives at the Flyin' Miata shop and only comes to visit when invited. Same with engine stands. I find suspension more interesting than engines, so I like to keep the engine parts inside the engines laugh

The welder will live in the upper right corner by the oddly sized workbench, that's my steel fabrication bench. I have a long extension cord so the welder can wander around if necessary. I also have a 220v outlet on the side of the lift so it's easy to weld on something that's on the lift.

Pete Gossett
Pete Gossett GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
4/10/18 8:03 p.m.

In reply to Keith Tanner :

You really need to build a stretch Miata like that, hopefully with a V12. 

clutchsmoke
clutchsmoke SuperDork
4/10/18 11:43 p.m.

I'm jealous. Of... Everything. Carry on! 

codrus
codrus GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
4/11/18 1:07 a.m.

I like the long-wheelbase Miata in your diagram -- is that the new 2019 version? :)

On the topic of networking, I definitely agree with the idea of pulling cable.  The way I see it, wireless is for devices with batteries that move around.  Anything that has a power cable and stays in one place should have a network cable as well.  The other maxim that goes along with this is that you never only pull one cable.  Cable is cheap, the labor to pull it is expensive, so I'd never pull less than 4 cables, more likely 6.  Seems like a lot, but cable does get damaged from time to time and having a backup is good.

Ian F
Ian F MegaDork
4/11/18 6:21 a.m.

That layout seems pretty good.  One thing I'd add might be a vacuum or dust-collector in the lean-to for the blasting cabinet.

Damn I wish I could have a space like that... 

Keith Tanner
4/11/18 9:21 a.m.

The work area in the top left isn't fully thought out. I could stash the Shop Vac beside the blast cabinet so it can do dust collection duties. Interesting idea to put it in the lean-to, though. I kinda like that. I could put a switched outlet in there so I can turn the vac on and off from beside the cabinet. I like that a lot, actually. Done.

I won't be pulling cable. The wireless bridge should be here in the next day or two. Given the internal house wiring and what that means for network cabling, it actually works out to be a lot easier and cleaner this way. The house antenna will be hidden.

grover
grover GRM+ Memberand Reader
4/11/18 9:26 a.m.
codrus said:

I like the long-wheelbase Miata in your diagram -- is that the new 2019 version? :)

On the topic of networking, I definitely agree with the idea of pulling cable.  The way I see it, wireless is for devices with batteries that move around.  Anything that has a power cable and stays in one place should have a network cable as well.  The other maxim that goes along with this is that you never only pull one cable.  Cable is cheap, the labor to pull it is expensive, so I'd never pull less than 4 cables, more likely 6.  Seems like a lot, but cable does get damaged from time to time and having a backup is good.

Just because he has a wireless bridge from house to shop doesn’t mean he can’t have a switch and Ethernet in the shop. Lots of mesh networks are doing this now with nodes that have Ethernet ports. 

SkinnyG
SkinnyG SuperDork
4/11/18 10:03 a.m.

I ran a phone line, three ethernet drops, and a coax drop in my shop before I insulated it. 

One Ethernet and the  Coax is up high on a wall by an outlet for a big screen TV, should the next owner want that (not me - if I'm watching TV, it won't be in the shop). The other Ethernets on either side of the shop (1065sqft) for my laptop.

While I have do have a phone line, I'm just using another cordless running of the house base, which works well as an intercom too!

My shop is only 75' from the house, so while I've pulled wire from the shop into the basement of the house, I haven't finished hooking it up yet.  A wireless extender gets my streaming internet music just fine.

Air compressor shed is still being finished outside - it is on it's own foundation, and should get done this summer.

Kramer
Kramer Dork
4/11/18 6:57 p.m.

My dad installed pallet racking in his 3,900 sq ft garage.  With wire shelving, so it stays somewhat clean, but he can put wood shelves if necessary.  The storage space is wonderful.

krautastic
krautastic New Reader
4/11/18 8:39 p.m.
Pete Gossett said:

You really need to build a stretch Miata like that, hopefully with a V12. 

It's no V12... just two V8's... but: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RP3VZ1l4qgU 

Keith Tanner
4/12/18 11:20 a.m.

Spent some time yesterday determining exactly how big the shop is, including structural elements that get in the way. And it's awkward. There's a beam that's 78" above the floor around the entire periphery that's 6" deep, so anything taller than that has to sit 6" out from the wall. There are guy wires in three sections - including the back half of each side wall - that sit 9" from the wall. This has affected where I'll be putting things. New layout drawing to come!

coexist
coexist Reader
4/12/18 12:09 p.m.

I would think that you would want to insulate and create an interior wall surface, which would take up the 6" space.  If you use ply wood or OSB for the interior panels, could likely remove the guy wires (X-bracing I'm guessing?)

SVreX
SVreX MegaDork
4/12/18 12:57 p.m.

In reply to coexist :

Nope. You can't replace the cables with OSB panels. 

Pre-engineered buildings have almost zero excess engineering. 

Keith Tanner
4/12/18 12:59 p.m.

I will not be removing structural elements! And yes, they're X wires.

The shop is already insulated, no plans to change anything there - although if I was in a colder climate, that would be an interesting thought. I think we can assume the walls will be staying as-is.

Keith Tanner
4/13/18 9:43 a.m.

I need to double-check some of the dimensions - I don't recall if some of my measurements are to the wall or the obstruction (ie, guy wires).  But here's the current layout.

Brown things have wheels so they can be moved as needed.. "Peg bench" is a workbench with a pegboard back. Grey rectangles are shelves I already have, and some of them will have tool chests. Black are shelves I'll have to buy.

I do have a couple of very capacious cabinets that have a 2' x 4' footprint and are 6' tall. I don't see  a spot for them, they might have to go in the two-car garage. If I swap out those 90" shelves for some 78" ones, they can tuck against the wall. But I lose at least one shelf worth of storage in that case.

eastsideTim
eastsideTim UltraDork
4/13/18 9:56 a.m.

Biggest negative I can think of with the 90” shelves would be the possibility of smaller items falling down behind them.  As long as they are used for bigger item, or parts stuffed in bins, might as well get the extra shelf space.

Keith Tanner
4/13/18 10:00 a.m.
eastsideTim said:

Biggest negative I can think of with the 90” shelves would be the possibility of smaller items falling down behind them.  As long as they are used for bigger item, or parts stuffed in bins, might as well get the extra shelf space.

easily solved by putting a sheet of plywood on the backside. But they're big burly shelves, so they probably would get used for big stuff. They also have wire mesh shelves, so little stuff would fall through in the first place laugh

RossD
RossD MegaDork
4/13/18 10:02 a.m.

What about egress when you have all the stuff the way you show it? Will you be able to make it to the service door without turning sideways?

Keith Tanner
4/13/18 12:55 p.m.

Maybe. We'll see. Those shelves by the window are ones I already have, so they can be added/changed/moved if they're not ideal.  I already have cars parked along the left side so I'll play with it a bit.

llysgennad
llysgennad New Reader
4/13/18 4:00 p.m.

I like this layout. I'm going thru the same process with the shop I'm building. It's a little longer (30 x 48), but will also have a wood shop in it. You might consider swapping the Caddy and the Westfalia to get more room in the center of the shop. And I usually back one in and put the passenger sides as close as possible, but that depends on how often they have to come out. I would leave more room to get past the cars on the left side, because I inevitably have a big box of parts to carry in and not enough room.cheeky Carry on, looking good!

1 2 3 4 5 6 ... 10

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
AmQwHguAjYCToyK9QsjrRoxsGJcsbQhoUFh4t7MoZtdBDZAkGHQJpWAkcdeFV5Bj