Brett Tower
Brett Tower New Reader
6/13/24 9:31 a.m.

Lowering the price to $6,900

Very good condition. Paint is shiny. Interior is clean, odor and tear free. Automatic (don't hate me). Recent transmission fluid pressure flush and refill. Full synthetic oil, just changed. 96,873 miles. Recent replacement struts (OEM). Recent Ceramic tint, the darkest possible. New headliner. Michelin Pilot Sports. Sun roof (also tinted). New Bosch rotors and pads. It has plenty of brake. No error codes. The engine bay is clean enough to eat off of (if you are so inclined). 

The car has been adult owned and not abused. So, you can buy it and abuse it yourself if you want. Think of it as a modern 230i but with a beautiful silky smooth N52, which will run seemingly forever versus the sewing machine like turbo four that they put in BMWs now (sadness), which will no doubt wear out ten times as fast due to the internal strain of forced induction. 

So, take advantage of the fact that I have had a relapse of the Miata (NB or NC?) virus and have to sell in order to buy.  Questions welcome.

Colin Wood
Colin Wood Associate Editor
6/13/24 9:41 a.m.

I always thought these would make a fun daily or dual-duty car.

Good luck with the sale!

Brett Tower
Brett Tower New Reader
6/13/24 10:36 a.m.

In reply to Colin Wood :

Yes, it's great. It feels more powerful than 230 hp. Just need to downsize. So selling several and buying one. Car nut math. 

dherr (Forum Supporter)
dherr (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
6/13/24 2:32 p.m.

I love my E88 convertible. These cars are truly the last analog BMW's, minimal electronic "nannies" but enough modern stuff to be comfortable, fun and surprisingly fast. That N52 loves to rev and agree it seems more powerful than 230 HP should be. 

Brett Tower
Brett Tower New Reader
6/17/24 11:56 p.m.

Lowering the price to $6900 but the website won't let me edit. Can anyone advise?

John Welsh
John Welsh Mod Squad
6/18/24 6:13 a.m.

In reply to Brett Tower :

With only 8 posts you're too new to have editing capability.  I added a price reduction to your original post.

Giving a location would be wise.  Considering your level of window tint my guess is somewhere warm/sunny.

Brett Tower
Brett Tower New Reader
6/18/24 4:03 p.m.

Located in Jacksonville, Florida (thus the gangster tint). 

Brett Tower
Brett Tower New Reader
6/24/24 11:13 p.m.

Have I massively overpriced this? Honest opinions welcome. It's crickets.

Datsun240ZGuy
Datsun240ZGuy MegaDork
6/24/24 11:22 p.m.
Brett Tower said:

Lowering the price to $6,900

.....Automatic....

Why crickets?

JK - I don't really know these cars that well.  It looks like a nice car.

EchoTreeSix
EchoTreeSix New Reader
6/25/24 8:27 a.m.
Brett Tower said:

Have I massively overpriced this? Honest opinions welcome. It's crickets.

I'm not in the market, but I've noticed this segment (affordable euros? Idk) seems to have slowed down where I'm at.

Is everything original as far as the coolant system? That would be my biggest concern in picking up the car. Other than that, it's super clean. Do you have it listed elsewhere?

dj06482 (Forum Supporter)
dj06482 (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand UberDork
6/26/24 9:44 a.m.

I'm also not in the market, but this seems like a good car that's been maintained, and pricing seems in line considering the age/mileage/condition.  100k is the mark for the typical BMW cooling system refresh, but I don't think that would scare away any DIYer.  I did mine on my E36 328is for around $350 in parts 15 years ago.  I think everyone knows the 3 series, but forgets about these - they're a great size.  Manuals definitely seem to command a premium for these.

HopmanJones
HopmanJones Reader
6/26/24 10:30 a.m.

Are you interested in an NA8, or NB/NC only? Does it have an LSD?

Brett Tower
Brett Tower New Reader
6/29/24 11:14 p.m.

In reply to EchoTreeSix :

Yes, had it on Facebook for a couple of weeks. No serious inquiries. Haven't done the cooling system, but have been watching for the first hint that it needs it. Fine so far. The market seems to have softened in the Jacksonville area for used cars. Just picked up a great NB with redone everything for $5200 which startled me. So, it seems like the crazy pandemic used prices are over. 

Brett Tower
Brett Tower New Reader
6/29/24 11:15 p.m.

In reply to HopmanJones :

Was looking for NB, but found one for a crazy (low) price. 

OHSCrifle
OHSCrifle GRM+ Memberand UberDork
6/30/24 10:42 a.m.

PM sent

sibanez
sibanez New Reader
7/1/24 10:26 a.m.
Brett Tower said:

In reply to EchoTreeSix :

Yes, had it on Facebook for a couple of weeks. No serious inquiries. Haven't done the cooling system, but have been watching for the first hint that it needs it. Fine so far. The market seems to have softened in the Jacksonville area for used cars. Just picked up a great NB with redone everything for $5200 which startled me. So, it seems like the crazy pandemic used prices are over. 

FYI, if you have a BMW code read (e.g.,Bimmer/Carly), it will tell you when the water pump begins to fail. You'll get these:

***** electric coolant pump, speed deviation
******* Code: 002E81
***** electric coolant pump, shut down
******* Code: 002E82

The water pumps will eventually go out, but they are sturdier than people give them credit for. 

Brett Tower
Brett Tower New Reader
7/3/24 3:48 p.m.

Sale pending. 

OHSCrifle
7/3/24 4:01 p.m.

Fly and drive coming a week from Saturday. Found out that Brett's been a lurker around here for years. 

OHSCrifle
7/13/24 10:01 p.m.

A fly and drive is a measured risk but GRM has not disappointed me.

This morning's flight from ATL-JAX then a 425 mile drive home (by way of @dyintorace HQ in Gainesville to pick up some staggered Style 207 M sport rims) was a great success. No drama* at all. Car drove great as I got acclimated.

Brett met me at the airport and my new 128i is exactly as described. My first German car since a 1986 GTI.

Fun car. 

*and because it's a fifteen year old German car (LOL)... my first money light(s) appeared about four hours into the drive home. Brakes seemed okay so I kept going. The lights went away after I stopped for gas but re-appeared an hour later. Time to start some detective work!

edit: I just noticed the service engine light is new this evening (my son wanted to drive it after dinner). That one wasn't on earlier today. Life with a fifteen year old German car. 

OHSCrifle
7/14/24 7:15 a.m.

Occurred to me overnight that the check engine light may bone me on the required emission check. I guess I will find out tomorrow. 

..hopefully the brake/ABS light is something simple like low brake fluid. 

Edit: correction - hopefully it's not low on brake fluid and just a failed sensor. 

SKJSS (formerly Klayfish)
SKJSS (formerly Klayfish) UltimaDork
7/14/24 7:23 a.m.

The 128 is such a fantastic car!!  The brake lights are almost certainly a wheel speed sensor.  They are known weak spots on these.  Between my 128s and 328 I have changed several.  Super easy and cheap fix.

You will not pass emissions with the CEL

sibanez
sibanez New Reader
7/14/24 1:02 p.m.

Download BimmerLink and use it with your OBD adapter. Probably the wheel speed sensor, this can happen if the car has sat. Typically it's the rear, corrosion around the ABS ring on the axle can cause it. A few thin washers between the sensor and the mounting hole will do the trick, quick fix. Then you can order new ones from FCP. 

OHSCrifle
7/14/24 2:51 p.m.

Seller was great. 

Gonna stop posting her in the classified and provide updates here:

my-1st-bmw-live-and-learn-chronicle-2009-128i

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
1f73SgQLUBykt3FaWaGZOwSW4w8ecdK2rxBaZBpyunkvHlIfOWuYPtywlF1q9uoQ