dan0
dan0 GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
1/22/24 9:06 p.m.

Welcome to the fun! 

wvumtnbkr
wvumtnbkr GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
1/23/24 8:56 a.m.
RickyBobby2024 said:

Hello all!!! They story of the RX-8 will live on in Middletown IN. I am a fellow member of the Prius community thanks to our beloved Indy-Guy. I was able to get the car to its new home tonight before the freezing rain headed for Indiana.

so far I'm going to give the car a good clean look over and look into a couple title options/routes. 

As far as powertrain the LS junkyard swap sounds up my alley, but I definitely need to get acquainted with the new girl. 

Keep in mind, that has a 4.44 rear gear.  Any "standard" engine isn't gonna be happy on the highway without a tall overdrive.  This eliminated alot of drivetrains for me since I was doing a swap on the super cheap.

If you keep the stock Trans, you WILL need to do a rear-end swap.  If you keep the stock rear-end, you WILL need to do a Trans swap.  

Only an engine happy at 8k or above is gonna work with stock Trans and rear-end.

Just an FYI.

I can help you through keeping the rx8 dash happy.

RickyBobby2024
RickyBobby2024 New Reader
1/23/24 9:47 a.m.

wvumtnbkr, thanks for the heads up. I'm wanting to try an LS with an AR5 trans and keep the stock rear end for as long as it lasts, but if I end up buying a donor vehicle for the swap I may end up swapping over the rear end at that time too... 

Indy - Guy
Indy - Guy UltimaDork
1/23/24 9:51 a.m.

In reply to RickyBobby2024 :

You have some reading to do:

Here's a link to wvumtnbkr's build thread where he swapped his RX8.  Good stuff in there.

wvumtnbkr
wvumtnbkr GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
1/23/24 10:50 a.m.
RickyBobby2024 said:

wvumtnbkr, thanks for the heads up. I'm wanting to try an LS with an AR5 trans and keep the stock rear end for as long as it lasts, but if I end up buying a donor vehicle for the swap I may end up swapping over the rear end at that time too... 

Ohhhh!  That Trans has a manageable overdrive!  Looks like you will spin about 3350 rpm at 80 mph.  Should work well enough!

There is the option of using the gears from a 3rd gen rx7 to swap into the rx8 housing as well.  You can get 4.1 gears fairly easy.  The 3.9 is more difficult to find.  I've been looking for a 3.9 gearset for a few months now.

Good luck!

Edit: the 3rd gen rx7 rear end and rx8 rear-end are pretty stout.  I haven't heard of many failures that weren't due to BIG horsepower and slicks.  Most people swap out the rx8 rear-end to get different gears.

Robbie (Forum Supporter)
Robbie (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
1/23/24 12:00 p.m.

Love this!

I've got drivers door power window switches (got separated from the car by accident) if you want them just let me know and I can mail them to you.

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
uNP04UOm7zc1evF970ADPCCwTr9yd1eWGmNvnRD3ME2qDZa2oSSk8QrGi067Yaww