1 2
rdcyclist
rdcyclist GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
3/6/24 1:52 p.m.

Yes, you heard the man: A full on stock car chassis for less than a quarter of your challenge budget. Probably no recoup but how much is a SBC/4 speed gonna run you?

https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/1392638637988589/

Dusterbd13-michael
Dusterbd13-michael MegaDork
3/6/24 2:06 p.m.

I'm so glad that's on the other side of the country from me. That just screams hooligan street car with a twin turbo V6

DeadSkunk  (Warren)
DeadSkunk (Warren) UltimaDork
3/6/24 2:15 p.m.

Tube frame and fiberglass body....not challenge eligible.

Stampie
Stampie GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
3/6/24 2:15 p.m.

In reply to rdcyclist :

Don't want to be a kill joy but since it's a unibody car and they say it's a fiberglass body I doubt it meets the rules for the Challenge.

EDIT - Warren beat me.

rdcyclist
3/6/24 2:48 p.m.

Well berkeley. You guys are no fun at all...  Riiight, we know that to be completely untrue but still. I think this coulda been in the under 1 grand class...

03Panther
03Panther PowerDork
3/6/24 2:55 p.m.

In reply to Stampie :

I have frame rails to test the unconfirmed theory, if the GRM relay can get it to AL...

also a 3800 / 5speed RWD, waiting for a body!

and I don't think it would violate the "don't be a dick" rule. 
used to want a V8 Vega wagon, back when the Vega was out. Now a supercharged 3800 suits me better

Stampie
3/6/24 2:57 p.m.
rdcyclist said:

Well berkeley. You guys are no fun at all...  Riiight, we know that to be completely untrue but still. I think this coulda been in the under 1 grand class...

I've got plenty of those in my yard.  Whatcha want?  Trans Am? Turbo Nitrous NA? Suprang? BMW 2002?

03Panther
03Panther PowerDork
3/6/24 3:06 p.m.

In reply to rdcyclist :

My read on the ad, and pictures: not a tube frame. Stock floor pans and modified stock suspension.  
Totally legal, as is. 
And in AL , i can tag it and drive it!

and, at least I know what a "buck" is laugh  I think i could put 500 of 'em togather; Bring it here, few days before the challenge,e we'll throw a sbc/built 700r4 i got a couple hundred in, and go on to have a blast!!!

03Panther
03Panther PowerDork
3/6/24 3:17 p.m.
Stampie said:

I've got plenty of those in my yard.  Whatcha want?  Trans Am? Turbo Nitrous NA? Suprang? BMW 2002?

Yes...

03Panther
03Panther PowerDork
3/6/24 3:18 p.m.

In reply to Stampie :

In seriousness, what the bimmer's story?

Mr_Asa
Mr_Asa MegaDork
3/6/24 3:48 p.m.
03Panther said:

In reply to rdcyclist :

My read on the ad, and pictures: not a tube frame. Stock floor pans and modified stock suspension.  
Totally legal, as is. 

and, at least I know what a "buck" is laugh  I think i could put 500 of 'em togather; Bring it here, few days before the challenge,e we'll throw a sbc/built 700r4 i got a couple hundred in, and go on to have a blast!!!

I will second that it appears to have stock floor pans and possibly firewall from something. Whether that something is a Monza is up for debate.

03Panther
03Panther PowerDork
3/6/24 5:36 p.m.

In reply to Mr_Asa :

Excellent point! at a glance, I think it is but who knows at this point :-)

Stampie
3/6/24 5:46 p.m.
Stampie
3/6/24 5:48 p.m.
Mr_Asa said:
03Panther said:

In reply to rdcyclist :

Totally legal, as is. 

I will second that it appears to have stock floor pans and possibly firewall from something. Whether that something is a Monza is up for debate.

I'm seeing that now.  I'd have to look it over real well but does appear to be a floor cut out of something.

APEowner
APEowner GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
3/6/24 7:51 p.m.

The pics don't show it but there's a good chance that it has a GM front clip.

03Panther
03Panther PowerDork
3/6/24 11:32 p.m.

In reply to APEowner :

Well, the monza was a gm product... you may mean something I'm missing

Until a youngster (probably in his 30s) called the grill and headlights "a front clip" I always referred that as all the front sheetmetal. 
From a tiny picture, I'm fairly sure the suspension, front and rear subframes, and floor pan are mostly stock monza. 
Just a S. W. A. G. On my part, though. 

Stampie
3/7/24 9:34 a.m.

The subframes aren't the question.  The question is does it meet this rule:

Vehicles may either retain production frame rails or equivalent unibody structures

Indy - Guy
Indy - Guy UltimaDork
3/7/24 9:54 a.m.
Stampie said:
rdcyclist said:

If I'm reading this correctly, you're offering to sell the cars listed for half budget?  If that's true, I want dibs on the Susprang & the Turbo Miata.  You still have my number?

Stampie
3/7/24 10:27 a.m.

In reply to Indy - Guy :

Lol ... did I tell you about the dude that knocked on my door one day?  You wouldn't believe what he offered for Suprang.  I'll Stampie rule anything listed above.

Geezerbill
Geezerbill New Reader
3/7/24 10:48 a.m.

6 day road trip & 380 gallons of diesel to retrieve the Monza from California. Wish I could afford the time.......

APEowner
APEowner GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
3/7/24 11:24 a.m.
03Panther said:

In reply to APEowner :

Well, the monza was a gm product... you may mean something I'm missing

Until a youngster (probably in his 30s) called the grill and headlights "a front clip" I always referred that as all the front sheetmetal. 
From a tiny picture, I'm fairly sure the suspension, front and rear subframes, and floor pan are mostly stock monza. 
Just a S. W. A. G. On my part, though. 

In the stock car world the front clip is the chassis from the firewall forward. 

rdcyclist
3/7/24 5:55 p.m.

The seller sent these pictures of the front end. Apparently the car has the Monza floorpan and rockers which I "think" constitutes OEM frame rails. Gotta be careful with that thinking thing, though...

Stampie
3/7/24 5:57 p.m.

In reply to rdcyclist :

So when are you picking it up?

rdcyclist
3/7/24 6:42 p.m.

Yeah, this is one of those "put up or shut up" moments, ididnit...

In the interest of marital harmony, I will now shut up. It IS incredibly tempting though. As near as I can tell, a fairly easy button for a competitive Challenge car. "Fairly" being a relative term...

03Panther
03Panther PowerDork
3/8/24 9:32 a.m.
Stampie said:

The subframes aren't the question.  The question is does it meet this rule:

Vehicles may either retain production frame rails or equivalent unibody structures

Since the subframes are the "equivalent unibody structures" I can't see why they wouldn't. 
And since we now know that it's a factory monza with a roll cage (the ad never said tube frame) with some fiberglass body parts, 

Just not worth bringing over here to the "right coast" for me crying

Anybody wants to enable, however... 

(I'd just need help organizing some room into the shop! Slacker that I've become frown)

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
1RVbB1qKc1jLXsJXfvJkMSZ4idYphOzBVcdmgMAJBxT5oVZ2vpcMktOzyulreToN