dan0
dan0 GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
1/26/24 5:06 p.m.

Too many Touaregs - 2004 V8 - Interesting history

So I started off buying a 2011 Touareg used from a dealer but really always wanted an earlier one, especially since I learned the later ones had less advanced AWD systems (at least in the US) So I bought a 2004 V8 with coil suspension off of Copart, It was in pristine body condition in the pictures. But thanks to Copart Albany it arrived to me with a dented rear hatch and a gouge in the front bumper. I later put a small dent in the right rear quarter and cracked the mirror housing (still works).. 

I wanted to tow with it so then I found another 2004 V8 air suspension that someone was parting out. I just wanted to buy the hitch and rear locking differential. But he pushed for me to just buy the whole thing, which I caved into. Got the hitch off that and onto mine then towed it home. 

Then I bought another one, 2005 V8 air suspension. This was supposed to be a flip, I take the radio (a nice double DIN DVD/Carplay unit) and a friend of mine swaps his seats for the desired brown leather. Well it had a starter problem and was worse off, so I just parted that out. Gave my friend the seats to clear out space and never got his. He was always busy and then decided to move to Montana. Point being is I have the rear differential and wiring harness and diff. ECU from that, along with a harness for rear heated seats. 

So what's this all coming to? Trying to slim down the vehicle fleet. Keeping the 2011 Touareg as just a nice driver. The other two and parts are what are up for grabs. With a number of “options” potentially. 

So first the 2004 V8 with coil suspension. Approx. 135k miles on it. Runs great, everything works. What’s wrong, the aforementioned body damage, a small power steering leak, a little rumble/vibration from the HVAC blower motor, and leak in the windshield washer tank. I have a replacement washer bottle from the first parts vehicle to put in and a mirror from the second parts Touareg. Tires are in good shape, I need to go and measure again but I think they were around 8/32nds. Neat thing about this one is the history, It was bought new in NJ to a couple of doctors, spent some time there, and then at some point was shipped to Europe, the maintenance book has stamps from France and Germany. It was also equipped in that time with a European headlight switch and rear fog light. Added bits are a spare quart of motor oil bought in Germany and a Europe DVD Navigation disc. 

Second is the 2004 V8 with air suspension. So this one is pretty rough, it does run but the catalytic converters were cut out of it before I bought it so it’s loud, a ton of faults, air suspension works but leaks down after a few days, is equipped with the locking rear differential from the factory. Has a mostly clean rear hatch, it does have a small dent but not like the other one. No windshield currently and seats are removed. 

Other spare parts and aftermarket. I bought and never installed a Eurowise lift kit for the coil suspension Touareg. I also bought adapters from Eurowise just when they were stopping production in favor of wobble bolts to use 5x127 Jeep on the 5x130 VW pattern. Also have the rear differential, controller, and full wiring harness from the 2005 Touareg. Also have the factory roof crossbars, two of the locking covers are broken, it’s tough to explain but with some work they do lock in. 

What’s this all dollars and cents. Well I turned down an offer of $2000 for the main one as it sits. That;s not to say I won’t take $2000 for it, but it’s going to lose the trailer hitch and the good tires at that price (because my 2011 could use tires) . $2500 is what I want for it as it sits. I might keep the other one and just play around with it, I wanted to cut the roof off and turn it into a truck… But I can’t use the lift because it’s only for coil suspension, so unless I keep the lift thinking I’ll buy another coil spring Touareg sometime it might as well be for sale too. And if I keep the cheap one it already has the rear differential, so that could go too. If one was thinking about building an offroader, tires are getting upgraded so take the discount of me keeping the better ones, and buy the lift, and maybe the differential parts, etc. Or get me one less project and take the parts Touareg for $400. 

Hope some of this made sense…

Lift kit link (was $700): https://shop.eurowise.com/products/ewor9003

Adapters were $400

Gallery to pictures, will be adding more: https://photos.app.goo.gl/4rh1oSY94hVMQxTd7

dan0
2/18/24 10:23 a.m.

So right now my current plan is to keep improving on the Touareg, work on the small issues, sell other stuff, and potentially keep it. But if not then it's in a better position to sell elsewhere like Facebook Marketplace without all the people trying to beat me down over little things.

So I'll be taking the tires for my 2011 Touareg and putting the adapters and Jeep wheels back on. Fixing the washer reservoir leak and what not. Probably going put the lift on once winter is over too. 

brad131a4 (Forum Supporter)
brad131a4 (Forum Supporter) Reader
2/21/24 10:40 p.m.

Whoosh I'm glad your on the wrong side of the country from me. I'd take that in a heartbeat for the introductory price of $2000.

Mazdax605
Mazdax605 PowerDork
2/23/24 1:06 p.m.

Could the first one you described be a good first vehicle for a new driver? 

dan0
3/2/24 11:51 a.m.
Mazdax605 said:

Could the first one you described be a good first vehicle for a new driver? 

A 2011 would be good. The earlier 2004 V8, not as much. 

2011 VR6 - decent on gas for an SUV - 20mpg, decent tech bluetooth streaming, good visibility and rear view camera. 

2004 V8 - 15mpg - it is comfortable and drives well, but a bit heavy at over 5000 pounds. Because of the V8 the engine bay is packed pretty tight. 

For average driving a 1st or 2nd generation VR6 model would be good too. 

In the meantime I swapped the Jeep wheels back on. Probably going to swap the stock tires from this to replace the worn tires on my 2011. 

trigun7469
trigun7469 UltraDork
3/7/24 2:05 p.m.

Email Sent

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
nafNg5rkEAV1BVactSptHTqhOF86ukX1JyOeET7kiTkU1rl5LP6ZcI8XXH7Fyda9