HopmanJones
HopmanJones Reader
6/15/24 9:04 p.m.

I'm moving soon which is forcing an evaluation of my fleet and how much I really should move multiple states away. I plan to take this NA8 with me, but got to thinking that it might be interesting to see if anyone here has a lil hatchback that could be used for winter beater/rallycross duty. It might make more sense than just having a Miata sitting around for the occasional rallycross. 

1997 Miata with hard dog rollbar, oem hardtop, 4.10 Torsen with poly bushings, recent respray (I believe), very minimal rust with one rusty rocky area previously repaired and it looks pretty decent. Was last used as a rallycross car in PR class. Suspension is Bilsteins with oem springs. Paco skidplate . 

Looking for things like a Fit, Civic, Yaris, Mazda2, Fiesta, etc.  

Dusterbd13-michael
Dusterbd13-michael MegaDork
6/15/24 9:38 p.m.

Where are you?

dan0
dan0 GRM+ Memberand Dork
6/15/24 10:16 p.m.

In reply to Dusterbd13-michael :

From another post of his "South Central PA"

HopmanJones
HopmanJones Reader
6/15/24 10:38 p.m.

Sorry. Yes. South central pa 

chandler
chandler MegaDork
6/16/24 12:38 p.m.

How about a Speed3? It's a beater compared to that though

RedGT
RedGT Dork
6/16/24 12:52 p.m.

I've got a fiesta i parked because it needs a slave cylinder, which is a trans-out service and i havent gotten around to it yet. Otherwise it's a fully functional 2011, rust-free, 130k mile car. If that is of any interest i can provide more info. Near Reading.

HopmanJones
HopmanJones Reader
6/16/24 3:44 p.m.
chandler said:

I do really like Speed3's, but it's a little bigger and heavier than I'm looking for. 

HopmanJones
HopmanJones Reader
6/16/24 3:46 p.m.

In reply to RedGT :

Thanks, but I don't really have time right now to deal with something that needs that level of service. 

KyAllroad
KyAllroad MegaDork
6/17/24 11:16 p.m.
HopmanJones said:
chandler said:

I do really like Speed3's, but it's a little bigger and heavier than I'm looking for. 

That really punts the Passat wagon out of the running then.  2007 VR6 4Motion beast.

Jerry
Jerry PowerDork
6/18/24 8:03 a.m.

I'm afraid to ask, but if a trade didn't happen, what would you think of selling it for to purchase said hatchback?

HopmanJones
HopmanJones Reader
6/18/24 10:14 a.m.

In reply to Jerry :

Maybe? Given the hassle of buying cars on the open market I was really hoping more for a trade with a GRMer. If someone offered a really good price I'd consider, but otherwise I probably would just keep it, given what I have into it and how solid of a Miata it is. 

HopmanJones
HopmanJones Reader
6/18/24 10:19 a.m.

Speaking of what I have into it, here's a list of what I've done since buying it to prep it for being a reliable RX car:

New power steering lines

Replaced steering rack

Replace spark plus

Replace cas o ring and vc gasket

Replace clutch master, slave, and new SS clutch line

SS brake lines and new rotors/pads

FM door bushings

New swaybar endlinks

Taillight gaskets

Windows bushings and lube 

FM shock spacers up front

New upper control arms

New tie rod ends

New bumpstops 

Front tow hook

All new camber bolts

Shock dust boots

Soft top removal (still have the top)

Seat Foamectamy

Trans and diff fluid 

TPS

Oil cap gasket

Torsen 4.1 diff with poly diff mount bushings and new axle seals 

Still needs:

EGR boost sensor throwing a CEL. Apparently common on 96-97. May need EGR cleaned. 

bailion
bailion New Reader
6/19/24 8:14 a.m.

I have a honda insight hatchback if that would interest you. Its been my daily, and despite how small the car is, its very roomy in the cabin and you can fit a shocking amount of stuff on the rear deck. You will definitely feel it if you fully load it, shes slow but at least a manual that gets 55-60 mpg 

HopmanJones
HopmanJones Reader
6/23/24 6:46 p.m.

In reply to bailion :

Thanks, although those are crazy-light, probably not the right match at this time.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
W6t8RNchwG1QSDT1FCQP7jbmEBuSXRHbUubkdnQ2rvck5mQZF6XbLLFltO7oT4WJ