1 2
Tim Suddard
Tim Suddard Publisher
1/27/13 3:17 p.m.

Last month in the tech section of CMS I wrote that I thought old 50s specials and kit cars are under appreciated. The thinking was, that for MGB money you could find and build something that would be welcome at everything from The Monterey Reunion to the The Colorado Grand. Well, looks like we are going to find out, because one of our readers saw that piece and called me, wanting to get rid of a 1957 Tornado Typhoon. I bit, and bought it for rubber bumper MGB money. I am going to put it together as a project car and see how far we can get with this thing. Don't look for it for a while, but I think it will be a fun one.

Raze
Raze SuperDork
1/27/13 6:02 p.m.

Woah, I've been thinking about this as a follow on to the Fiat. My logic was to go after something like the Sammio Spyder but I never considered classic kit cars, do you know of any more or have any references to older kits? I know some of the 70s and newer ones but not much on older ones.

Woody
Woody GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
1/27/13 9:21 p.m.

I'm a big fan of Devins. About a year ago, I found an original, unbuilt body but it was priced accordingly and I couldn't justify the expense.

dean1484
dean1484 GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
1/27/13 9:42 p.m.

Tim. PHOTOS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Karl La Follette
Karl La Follette SuperDork
1/28/13 6:27 a.m.

google foo image

Marjorie Suddard
Marjorie Suddard General Manager
1/28/13 9:18 a.m.

Karl's google foo is strong. That is indeed the model, right down to the detachable hardtop.

Margie

ArthurDent
ArthurDent HalfDork
1/28/13 9:29 a.m.

Wow - that is fantastic. I love those! Can't wait for pictures.

Karl La Follette
1/28/13 9:57 a.m.

Awesome !

914Driver
914Driver MegaDork
1/28/13 10:26 a.m.

Cool! It looks like SpeedRacer's little British cousin.

JFX001
JFX001 UltraDork
1/28/13 10:32 a.m.

I have been having sordid dreams of a mid-50's A-H with a 331 Hemi....I do love the Specials.

Nice score.

spitfirebill
spitfirebill UltraDork
1/28/13 12:25 p.m.

Well ferchristsake don't go all Bezerkely on it.

wspohn
wspohn Reader
1/28/13 12:47 p.m.

I have always liked the Typhoons. With a hard top on it, it looks decidedly like some of the 1950s stylists exercises on Fiats, but with the top off, it looks still a bit Italianate (pontoons) but better than with the top on, I think. Congrats, Tim, from a former Buckler and TVR owner and current MGA Jamaican owner.

There is often some part of the body on cars like these that just looks awkward - see La Dawris or Mistrals, but I like the Typhoon! Usually Triumph running gear, IIRC, but also used with an array of Ford engines etc., so you have a choice.

Does yours have a chassis, and if so, which one? Should go pretty well with a built racing 87 mm bore TR-4 engine. I have a set of Webers for those if you need some.....

Looking forward to seeing pictures.

EvanB
EvanB GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
1/28/13 12:56 p.m.

So now you have a home for the LS1?

Raze
Raze SuperDork
1/28/13 1:38 p.m.
EvanB wrote: So now you have a home for the LS1?

look at those cookie cutter wheels, bad thoughts forming in my head

Tom Suddard
Tom Suddard GRM+ Memberand Intern
1/28/13 8:00 p.m.

Nope, I called dibs on the LS!

Tim Suddard
Tim Suddard Publisher
1/28/13 8:21 p.m.

Edelbrock just came out with a kit that makes an LS look like an old fifties Corvette engine. Hmmmmm. This one originally had a Ford Sidevalve engine in it, but I was thinking about something stronger. Soon after this one was made, they came with 105E Kent Ford engines, which are great engines with lots of parts availablity. You can also put a roll bar in it, cut off the windshield and give it more of a sports racer look. I saw a couple of pics like that online.

It did come with the correct frame, serial number and everything else including all the glass. Supposedly the only thing missing is the steering column which is English Ford sedan from the Fifties.

I still have boxes of Spitfire disc brake parts, a 332 Edsel V8, a GT6 engine, extra TR3 stuff and weird imagination. I think we will pick it up at Carlisle, if anyone wants to see it.

We just want to keep giving you guys stuff the other car magazines wouldn't think of!

Raze
Raze SuperDork
1/29/13 7:29 a.m.

This is great, I'm really excited to see this make an appearance on the website or in the mag(s)...

Ian F
Ian F PowerDork
1/29/13 8:18 a.m.
Tim Suddard wrote: I think we will pick it up at Carlisle, if anyone wants to see it.

Sweet. I'll be there! Can't wait!

racerdave600
racerdave600 Dork
1/29/13 9:08 a.m.

Tim, you're an evil man. Now I've been scouring every ad i can find looking for 50's specials. That thing is major cool!

JoeyM
JoeyM UltimaDork
1/29/13 12:01 p.m.
Karl La Follette wrote: google foo image

The top reminds me a little of the look of an XK120 fixed head

AngryCorvair
AngryCorvair GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
1/29/13 12:11 p.m.
Tim Suddard wrote: Edelbrock just came out with a kit that makes an LS look like an old fifties Corvette engine. Hmmmmm.

hey DILYSI Dave, remember when i pitched this idea at you about 10 years ago? :-(

RobF
RobF New Reader
1/31/13 11:17 a.m.

Tim, you are, like a god to me...

oldeskewltoy
oldeskewltoy Dork
1/31/13 5:10 p.m.

mmmmm Kent huh.... so a little 4AGE screamer could slip right in there just as easily....

10k rpm would sound wonderful coming from that cutie

Karl La Follette
2/1/13 4:07 p.m.

Is the body fibre glass or alumium ? Also are those like 17 in by 4 tires ? 4 speed / emgie ?

Tim Suddard
Tim Suddard Publisher
2/3/13 9:17 a.m.

Rob F, do not worship false idols.

Karl, it is fiberglass and those are the latest thing, 16x4" wheels.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
DIXNxAG3UQruMWtNGJlgw3RgKdef9xlzGrul1Y3SxtT1I3buMXW1Fu8Ts1raXnws