easternshore
easternshore
7/21/10 4:05 a.m.

If i were to get a 67 chevy impala but the parts to actually keep it running were too hard to find now, could i just rip everything out and put updated parts in it?

i know that it is a horrible thing to even ask, trust me its the last thing i want to do to such a beautiful car but i'm talking about worst case scenario

foxtrapper
foxtrapper SuperDork
7/21/10 5:56 a.m.

Yes, you could do that. But there'd be no need as the parts to keep it running are in fact quite readily available.

MadScientistMatt
MadScientistMatt Dork
7/21/10 8:29 p.m.

Yep - with '60s American cars, you can often find repair parts at your local auto parts chains. Usually if you see somebody sticking later parts in an Impala, it was done for performance or comfort, not economic necessity.

Basil Exposition
Basil Exposition New Reader
7/22/10 8:43 a.m.

In reply to easternshore:

Depends on what you want out of "the hobby."

Do you want an original car with original parts that you would drive only to shows and try to win trophies?

Or do you want a modernized car with more horsepower, creature comforts and more reliability that you might drive more often? (Often known as "resto-mods").

All these things are possible and everything in between. But you have to make your own decision as to what it is you want.

Travis_K
Travis_K Dork
7/24/10 1:00 p.m.

I would say you need to learn a little more about cars and how they work, and about old chevys in particular, and you will realize that unless you are talking about a 100% factory original restoration, what you are asking really isnt even a necessary question. Some of the 1967 issue stuff, like points distributors, correct valve covers and carbs, etc isnt easy to find anymore, but its a chevy, you can build an entire engine with aftermarket parts, same with just about anything else on the whole car.

ronbros
ronbros Reader
7/24/10 5:08 p.m.

make a resto-mod,simple enough.

usually worth a lot of money, compared to a stock rebild!

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
FowX5gLc0oaiIlwNJbHcWJXbILdG89ZUcG5ajjewojjIqIrKCILHdIj7i45CgvZ0