1 2
Karl La Follette
Karl La Follette SuperDork
6/2/14 11:02 a.m.

guys wants $3500

stafford1500
stafford1500 GRM+ Memberand Reader
6/2/14 11:54 a.m.

The rust you see is not where the money gets spent...

TRoglodyte
TRoglodyte SuperDork
6/2/14 12:00 p.m.

If it's complete,original and unmolested that would be a fair price. If the frame is solid and the motor isn't locked up.

Basil Exposition
Basil Exposition Dork
6/2/14 12:15 p.m.

Whadda want to do with it? If you're going to part it out, you might get that much for the pieces. Probably the only thing of any real value is the motor, though you might get something for some of the trim pieces, etc.

If you're thinking of restoring it, just don't. You've already shown you care too much about money to waste any more on that car. An E-Type 2+2 coupe with an automatic is the absolute bottom rung on the E-Type ladder and even great ones won't pay back a fraction of the cost to restore.

Karl La Follette
6/2/14 12:24 p.m.

IT WOULD BE A FLIP QUIK KASH QUIK FRIENDS DEALIO

TRoglodyte
TRoglodyte SuperDork
6/2/14 12:28 p.m.

Pass.

Carl Heideman
Carl Heideman
6/2/14 1:12 p.m.

That looks like a 2+2, which are the least desirable. However, E-type projects are rarely that cheap, and I've seen much rustier examples sell for more. The bonnet alone, even with the rust (if it's not much worse than what can be seen at the front), could be worth $3500+. If it's been switched to triple SUs, those are worth $3K with the manifolds etc..

Carl

Karl La Follette
6/2/14 2:41 p.m.

the kicker is it is just 2 eenie tiny miles from my shop

dculberson
dculberson UltraDork
6/2/14 3:17 p.m.

Sell of the carb setup then LEMONS E-TYPE?!?!

dude maybe not.

AngryCorvair
AngryCorvair GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
6/4/14 3:10 p.m.

if the chassis is not compromised by rust, i'd get it running / driving and rock it beater style

Graefin10
Graefin10 SuperDork
6/4/14 3:15 p.m.
AngryCorvair wrote: if the chassis is not compromised by rust, i'd get it running / driving and rock it beater style

That would be tempting

Billy_Bottle_Caps
Billy_Bottle_Caps Dork
6/6/14 8:41 a.m.

In reply to Graefin10: You get it?

benzbaronDaryn
benzbaronDaryn Dork
6/7/14 5:05 a.m.

For me I'd love a 2+2. If you can get it cheap go for it. The only jag for me is one of those demons. Problem is if that car is rusty the jag unibody is difficult to repair which kills the deal.

Bob_S
Bob_S New Reader
6/7/14 9:14 a.m.

It appears that the bonnet (hood) belly pan may be sitting on the ground and is beat up. I think that it would be hard to flip it and get much more for it. From the general condition I bet the rockers and floors are most likely rusty and need to be replaced. A series II 2+2 go for around K25 to $30K and this one would probably take $50k to make a good car out of it.

wspohn
wspohn HalfDork
6/9/14 11:17 a.m.

That car should send any sane person running in the opposite direction. Wish it on your worst enemy! I would turn it down (as a restoration project) if they paid ME to take it away. You might be able to flip it for parts and break it up, but life is too short and profit to slim to bother, IMHO.

RossD
RossD PowerDork
6/10/14 8:44 a.m.

I'm going to say something. GO FOR IT! Treat it like an old Jeep and weld it up with a patchwork of steel for the rusted out places. Keep it as a beater style vehicle. Don't ruin anything you don't have to, but you don't have to make anything 'original' that is already destroyed. That should keep it as cheap as possible but still have a kick ass ride.

Karl La Follette
Karl La Follette UltraDork
6/10/14 3:11 p.m.
RossD wrote: I'm going to say something. GO FOR IT! Treat it like an old Jeep and weld it up with a patchwork of steel for the rusted out places. Keep it as a beater style vehicle. Don't ruin anything you don't have to, but you don't have to make anything 'original' that is already destroyed. That should keep it as cheap as possible but still have a kick ass ride.we have awinner

snowblind

Kenny_McCormic
Kenny_McCormic UberDork
6/10/14 4:07 p.m.

Short of draping whats left of the body over something else or building a monster truck, you're gonna spend 4x what it will be worth when done. When you're done you'll still have the ugly one anyways.

wspohn
wspohn HalfDork
6/10/14 4:37 p.m.
Kenny_McCormic wrote: Short of draping whats left of the body over something else or building a monster truck, you're gonna spend 4x what it will be worth when done. When you're done you'll still have the ugly one anyways.

Yup. And the cars are one of the most unsafe around when seriously rusty because of the construction. The rear 2/3 is a monocoque tub, but the front 1/3 including the engine carrier and front suspension bolts to the rear tub using hard to get bolts at the firewall. If you have a rusty one, the front can come unglued from the rear - and at speed. In fact the tub itself is subject to serious rust - a friend had one that had been bodged and the rotten rockers/sills had been patched and he found out one day when he mistakenly opened the doors on both sides at once that it caused the car to bow in the middle and he had to get a floor jack top raise the middle enough to close the doors and have them latch!

Not in something with pretty reasonable performance, thanks!

Kenny_McCormic
Kenny_McCormic UberDork
6/10/14 6:28 p.m.

In reply to wspohn:

So its built like a gen 1/2 GM F body, but British? That's terrifying. I did not know that, figured they were built more like a MGB.

Ecosse
Ecosse New Reader
6/11/14 6:44 p.m.

As others have stated, the key would be the extent of rot and whether the engine can be salvaged. As a comparative, here's something similar-ish for $7,500...without engine and tran: http://www.beverlyhillscarclub.com/1968-jaguar-xke-2+2-c-2886.htm That said, we have a matt black, semi-rat e-type at our local Cars & Coffee that's far from perfect but simply fabulous.

dculberson
dculberson UberDork
6/12/14 10:23 a.m.

So Karl, did you buy it??

oldtin
oldtin UltraDork
6/12/14 11:14 a.m.

I've seen enough of Karl's creations - I say go for it. There's enough bits and pieces to recoup your money as a worst case if you want and you have enough hardware laying around your place to make something spectacular. Even if the front end tubes are shot - stick some new tubes on it, and go - the more frankenstein the better.

Karl La Follette
6/14/14 12:16 p.m.

new friend to th family still working on the deal for old jag but this boat and jag came up so there goes $900

Karl La Follette
6/14/14 12:24 p.m.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
v8EU36ComP24HKDMQrXBv2ESKiI0upByYI4eglRTlSKyNGlFA6cTI1NOLM7Va8u9