1 2
GTwannaB
GTwannaB GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
1/22/15 7:25 p.m.

So just window shopping, but have 996 prices really fallen this far? Hell even if you throw a few grand at a new IMS bearing, these still seem cheap.

$14K w 150k mileage

http://sfbay.craigslist.org/scz/ctd/4853884350.html

$14K w 126k mileage

http://sfbay.craigslist.org/eby/cto/4851816896.html

This is used GTI money.

DanyloS
DanyloS New Reader
1/22/15 7:36 p.m.

Remember that up until the last few years 964's and earlier generations were all sub $20k cars.

mad_machine
mad_machine GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
1/22/15 7:46 p.m.

to many the 993 is still considered the last true "911".. so I doubt the 996 is ever going to command the price premium that car does

Mike
Mike GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
1/22/15 7:48 p.m.

I think these are great deals too. You live with IMS issues and what many saw as ugly headlights and less overtly aggressive styling, and you get a very refined car for not very much money.

I'd be in for one if I were in the market.

Mr_Clutch42
Mr_Clutch42 Dork
1/22/15 7:59 p.m.

If I was ballin, I would look at a 996 as a weekend/autocross car. I did listen to an automotive podcast and they reviewed a few generation 911s back to back and found that the 996 was a little worse than the 964, 997, and maybe another generation 911.

BoxheadTim
BoxheadTim GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
1/22/15 8:07 p.m.

They are cheap, which is why I bought one.

Which is currently in the shop again...

TBH I knew which two cars you were talking about as soon as I saw the links, as I've got them bookmarked in case I change my mind about getting an RX8 as a track car . Can't have too many 911s.

My problem with them is that they're way too polite for a 175mph sports car, but that can be fixed. The main issue is that while buy-in is at GTI prices, parts prices most definitely aren't.

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
1/22/15 8:37 p.m.

Hell, that's S2000 money.

Cotton
Cotton UltraDork
1/22/15 8:46 p.m.

The blue one with 126k is calling to me. Surprised it hasn't sold yet.

codrus
codrus GRM+ Memberand Dork
1/22/15 8:50 p.m.

They made a lot of 996s, something like 3-4x as many as they did 993s. Combine that with reduced demand due to water cooling and parts-sharing with the Boxster and you wind up with much lower pricing.

Keep in mind that a 150K mile $14K car still has the maintenance costs of the $80K car it was new.

neon4891
neon4891 UltimaDork
1/22/15 8:54 p.m.

If PCA is where you buy a used P-Car, and eBay is where you sell one, where does C-list fall?

Cotton
Cotton UltraDork
1/22/15 8:58 p.m.
codrus wrote: Keep in mind that a 150K mile $14K car still has the maintenance costs of the $80K car it was new.

Yeah I get that. I've owned several Porsches, both air and watercooled, and still have a couple. The parts prices don't really bother me and 996s just got a lot more attractive. Now I want to know what the 996tts are bringing.... Off to craigslist.

Woody
Woody GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
1/22/15 9:03 p.m.
neon4891 wrote: If PCA is where you buy a used P-Car, and eBay is where you sell one, where does C-list fall?

Pelican is where you buy and sell used Porsches.

Cotton
Cotton UltraDork
1/22/15 9:05 p.m.
neon4891 wrote: If PCA is where you buy a used P-Car, and eBay is where you sell one, where does C-list fall?

I've never bought one through the PCA classifieds because they're generally priced too high IMO.

nderwater
nderwater PowerDork
1/22/15 9:14 p.m.
Mike wrote: I think these are great deals too. You live with IMS issues and what many saw as ugly headlights and less overtly aggressive styling, and you get a very refined car for not very much money.

Is there a kit yet to update 996s to round headlights? Looks like this guy has worked magic with some plasti-dip:

Vigo
Vigo PowerDork
1/22/15 9:41 p.m.

That is brilliant! 996s just got a lot more attractive now that i know i can 'fix' the headlights.

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
1/22/15 9:52 p.m.

That DOES look nice!

SlickDizzy
SlickDizzy GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
1/22/15 10:05 p.m.

I am quite possibly the only person in the world that actually prefers the "Boxster lights" on the 996.

BoxheadTim
BoxheadTim GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
1/22/15 10:13 p.m.

I don't mind the headlights, especially as you can't see them from the driver's seat .

However I would recommend to try and get one that has the Litronics installed if it's even for semi-daily use. The regular headlights aren't that, err, brilliant.

Driven5
Driven5 HalfDork
1/23/15 9:35 a.m.

Their prices have definitely become very tempting...But as is the key with all used high end cars: Being able to afford to buy it, is not the same as being able to afford to own it.

For people that know a bit about them, I would guess that a lot of it comes from engine failure fears combined with engine replacements costs that can meet or exceed the not-insignificant purchase price of the car. For the more typical people who might desire a used Porsche 911, the 996 probably doesn't look 'masculine' enough...Which shouldn't be a problem on a site that holds the Miata in such high regard.

yamaha
yamaha MegaDork
1/23/15 9:45 a.m.

I'd rock one.

Rupert
Rupert HalfDork
1/23/15 10:16 a.m.

Almost all expensive cars go through this cycle. The question isn't can you afford to buy it. It's can you afford to own it??!!

Rusted_Busted_Spit
Rusted_Busted_Spit GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
1/23/15 10:24 a.m.

The silver one has already had the IMS bearing done, off to C list.

Cotton
Cotton UltraDork
1/23/15 10:25 a.m.
Rupert wrote: Almost all expensive cars go through this cycle. The question isn't can you afford to buy it. It's can you afford to own it??!!

Every time a Porsche thread comes up at least five people mention this. I think we're up to three now, so lets beat that dead horse a little more please.

Rupert
Rupert HalfDork
1/23/15 10:35 a.m.

In reply to Cotton:There are a huge number of people who went in way over their head to buy the ride they always coveted. Then they generally either lost their butt trying to keep it up, destroyed the ride trying to keep it up, or just lost their butt when selling it.

Whether that ride be a Porsche, Jaguar, boat, airplane whatever, this is one thing that can't be stressed enough! This is not a dead horse, it's a real world issue which more people should consider before they make that impulse buy!

Cotton
Cotton UltraDork
1/23/15 10:42 a.m.
Rupert wrote: In reply to Cotton:There are a huge number of people who went in way over their head to buy the ride they always coveted. Then they generally either lost their butt trying to keep it up, destroyed the ride trying to keep it up, or just lost their butt when selling it. Whether that ride be a Porsche, Jaguar, boat, airplane whatever, this is one thing that can't be stressed enough! This is not a dead horse, it's a real world issue which more people should consider before they make that impulse buy!

Oh it can be stressed enough and usually is. For those that don't get it after the first 300 times it's mentioned, well they just need to learn the hard way.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
OglS4bUotOF01mp6YFwyLN9rGDjixZGBOxgGwqIr3WwTcani3XnYUJZNvaAVw3U2