Colin Wood
Colin Wood Associate Editor
3/20/24 3:28 p.m.
feature_image

The Nelson family has made a name for itself by building some of the fastest cars to compete in our annual low-buck motorsports competition, the Grassroots Motorsports $2000 Challenge presented by Tire Rack.

The family is back for 2024, entering two of its famous builds: the 1963 Studebaker Lark and 1980 Pontiac Sunbird.

Both machines have competed in the …

Read the rest of the story

AngryCorvair (Forum Supporter)
AngryCorvair (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
3/20/24 3:30 p.m.

back for 2023?  did they build a Delorean?

Colin Wood
3/20/24 3:33 p.m.

In reply to AngryCorvair (Forum Supporter) :

That would be impressive, tbh. Thank you for reminding me what year it is–they seem to be blending together recently.

Tom Suddard
Tom Suddard GRM+ Memberand Publisher
3/20/24 4:02 p.m.

I'm pretty stoked to see the Nelsons back at the event. 

David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
3/20/24 4:53 p.m.

Yup, very cool to have them back and, nope, I’m not faster. 

dean1484
dean1484 GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
3/20/24 5:10 p.m.

During COVID and the Zoom chats, I got to chat with them about tricks and tips for economical motor builds.   Really good stuff!!!!  I now completely "get" how they make the power that they make with their builds.  

GRM should do a series (or at least a "how to" article) with them that gets into the hows and whys of their motor builds. They may not want to give up all their secrets but just learning the basics and their approach was interesting stuff.  

CrustyRedXpress
CrustyRedXpress GRM+ Memberand Dork
3/20/24 6:27 p.m.

In reply to dean1484 :

Dang it. Knew I should have gotten in on those chats.

Super happy to see they're at the challenge again.

EDIT: The only way I could be faster than the nelsons is if they dropped my car out of a plane.

Ranger50
Ranger50 MegaDork
3/20/24 6:28 p.m.

I just hate that rampant inflation FMV of "stuff". The cheap running turbo400 trans I picked up for $75 is now $400. Used to pick up running v8's for similar. I mean you could do a bunch of other motor things but the wrappers ain't great. There is stuff to be had but you're going to be on a few years journey amassing a challenging budget friendly hoard, jmo.

Triplesn8s
Triplesn8s New Reader
3/25/24 12:31 p.m.

Ranger50 you are so right.  I have all the skills to build a cheap car but life n wife would be a time struggle.  The mega hours to horse trade into the parts needed to build a competitive car just ain't happening.  Maybe if I owned a boneyard.  The challenge is mostly a contest of available time for horse trading.  That keeps me out of it, not lack of skill or desire.  I don't see an easy format fix for that.  The 2000 Challenge has kind of become irrelevant to me.

Colin Wood
3/25/24 12:38 p.m.

In reply to Triplesn8s :

If it helps at all, you are also more than welcome to compete in something built for more than $2000.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
rTTtRPXBzidedrnnPnav1QoLDP3vjvrVpKQhqhs5BCjl8G3FWi0HuPeKHZOlEB5m