flatlander937
flatlander937 GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
11/4/23 1:21 p.m.

The last two sets of tires (RT660 and currently V730) on my GTI have had plenty of life left in the centers (5/32+) by the time they either heat cycle out (for sure in the 660, unsure if there might be something else at play on the V730) or the edges are notable more worn.

I'm strongly debating buying the next set pre-heat cycled and shaved to maybe 5/32 from the start.

The V730s felt their best after a couple autocrosses and the second weekend on track. The RT660s felt good up until about the 4th weekend on track where it was clear grip was considerably down from heat cycling.

Both sets were heat cycled by myself either in a parking lot doing figure 8s or at the first autocross, not straight to the track.

Am I out of line for thinking I might see better life and/or better performance over their useable life in this use case?

I have another set of wheels/tires for dedicated rain on track and one for daily as well, so wet performance is not a major concern.

Ignore the two on the far left - purchased used as "just in case" early in the season.

The V730s aren't marked, but tread depth is 4.5 to 5/32 in the big grooves.

dps214
dps214 SuperDork
11/4/23 3:16 p.m.

I'm not an expert but I don't think shaving ever really creates better tire life. You're right that falkens will basically never get to the wear bars without cycling out first. So if you think the tires will work (or at least feel) better with less tread, then it's probably worth trying. On the kumhos it might help them come in sooner, but at the cost of having that much less rubber to use before blowing through the outer shoulders.

flatlander937
flatlander937 GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
11/4/23 4:48 p.m.

In reply to dps214 :

Correct. I don't expect "longer life" as in just measuring in tread... But in more time with higher grip levels before they fall off maybe? The additional tread squirm has to account for more heat.

On Kumhos I guess it would matter if they shave just the main tread surface, or if they shave around to the edges as well as to whether I'd get better (useful) life out of them or not..

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
JQnN93mjESFKb7zvlSCE1APUu8fxVs3oOYL1FtMA1oDICxurqBV5kg9M4DlDZAmC