Colin Wood
Colin Wood Associate Editor
7/12/24 2:34 p.m.
feature_image

As alluring as the unique Ridge Green paint, tan and black interior, bronze wheels, and exclusive badging make the new GR86 Hakone Edition, it’s the subtle tweaks made to the entire 2025 GR86 lineup that have us interested.

The engineers at Gazoo Racing have retuned the GR86’s shocks and power steering to improve handling feel and offer a better “sense of …

Read the rest of the story

DeadSkunk  (Warren)
DeadSkunk (Warren) MegaDork
7/12/24 3:09 p.m.

I like that colour with the bronze wheels.

Coniglio Rampante
Coniglio Rampante Reader
7/12/24 3:22 p.m.

Agree about that color combo.

Predictably incremental additions as usual but it's nice just to have such a vehicle in the market.

DavyZ
DavyZ Reader
7/15/24 11:00 a.m.

Good looking little car.  I have never driven one, but I imagine they are a lot of fun.

z31maniac
z31maniac MegaDork
7/15/24 11:03 a.m.
DavyZ said:

Good looking little car.  I have never driven one, but I imagine they are a lot of fun.

It was the same for the Hakone for the 1st gen. Special color combo, brembos, different shocks. 

J.A. Ackley
J.A. Ackley Senior Editor
7/16/24 8:24 a.m.

I'm not a huge fan of green ... but it really works well on that car, especially with the wheels.

Colin Wood
Colin Wood Associate Editor
7/16/24 9:06 a.m.

In reply to J.A. Ackley :

I'm not sure if the photos Toyota provided are the most flattering. I'd say take a look at the photos Chris took of the previous-gen Hakone to get a better idea of what the color actually looks like:

2020 Toyota 86 Hakone Edition new car review

CrashDummy
CrashDummy Reader
7/16/24 11:33 a.m.

That's a gorgeous color combo! They have a few great colors available for these, which is awesome to see [glares disapprovingly at Mazda]. 

Did we ever get any clarity on/solution to the oiling issue with these? I know early on there was some worry that if you go around a corner on the track you would blow up 100% of the time. 

nocones
nocones GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
7/16/24 11:36 a.m.

This is so tempting.  It feels like this is the end of the line for this type of car and..  look at it.

z31maniac
z31maniac MegaDork
7/16/24 3:14 p.m.

In reply to nocones :

I would imagine there is only a couple of model years left. I think it stops being sold in Europe next year because it won't meet emissions. But I won't testify to that. 

BenB
BenB HalfDork
7/17/24 4:05 p.m.
CrashDummy said:

That's a gorgeous color combo! They have a few great colors available for these, which is awesome to see [glares disapprovingly at Mazda]. 

Did we ever get any clarity on/solution to the oiling issue with these? I know early on there was some worry that if you go around a corner on the track you would blow up 100% of the time. 

Here's one of a couple of interesting threads from GR86.org on the oiling issue. The cars from the GR Cup series seem to be pretty reliable.
TL;DR:

The GR Cup cars have an oil cooler and a pan with a vertical baffle. They overfill to six quarts 0W40 with an additional quart in the oil cooler. There were five engine failures in 2023 GR Cup season. Three were due to not filling or underfilling the engine oil, one due to overheating, and one rod broke.

From my reading on the forum, the consensus seems to be to overfill to six quarts and you should be fine for street and some track days.

David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
7/17/24 4:41 p.m.
DeadSkunk (Warren) said:

I like that colour with the bronze wheels.

Same as well. 

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
hjQlEg8i401gyliwcuXBs6QhuP37NOGqU1OSWDvoCzIXTJmqfT43ueIqpdbpvaIA