DeadSkunk  (Warren)
DeadSkunk (Warren) MegaDork
10/7/24 11:36 a.m.

There's a set of Avon slicks for sale and one picture shows a code that's "2036". That doesn't compute for a date code that I can find. Anyone know what it might be telling me?

red_stapler
red_stapler SuperDork
10/7/24 11:41 a.m.

That is the part number for 10.7/21.5-15 A11 Slick (AR-2036)

DeadSkunk  (Warren)
10/7/24 11:59 a.m.

In reply to red_stapler :

Thanks. Is there any way to tell the age of the tires if I go look at them?  ....and where did you look up that info? My Google-Fu isn't working well today.

SV reX
SV reX MegaDork
10/7/24 12:06 p.m.

DOT tires have a date code. I don't believe race use only tires are required to have one. 

DeadSkunk  (Warren)
10/7/24 12:09 p.m.

In reply to SV reX :

That's basically what I'm wondering. I'd prefer a date code to doing the finger nail test.

red_stapler
red_stapler SuperDork
10/7/24 12:33 p.m.
DeadSkunk (Warren) said:....and where did you look up that info?

googled:  avon slick "2036"

Andy Hollis
Andy Hollis
10/7/24 12:36 p.m.

Yoko slicks do have a date code, but most do not...at least, not specifically.  Hoosier slicks have batch codes that can be looked up if you call them. 

DeadSkunk  (Warren)
10/7/24 12:47 p.m.

OK. So far, they appear to be a medium soft road race bias ply, but one dealer lists them as an autocross tire. Maybe I'll go look at them and stick my thumb nail in them......real scientific-like!

SV reX
SV reX MegaDork
10/7/24 12:53 p.m.

I have a set of Garfield's with a 1974 date code on them... would you like them? 😂😂

Andy Hollis
Andy Hollis
10/7/24 12:53 p.m.
DeadSkunk (Warren) said:

OK. So far, they appear to be a medium soft road race bias ply, but one dealer lists them as an autocross tire. Maybe I'll go look at them and stick my thumb nail in them......real scientific-like!

The challenge with slicks is that often the compound is harder at ambient temps than a typical street tire.  But put some heat in them and they turn into Grip Goo.

When we did that Yokohama vertical taste test last year which included a set of slicks, one bit that didn't end up in the story was a softness test I did.  I stuck a durometer in each tire at ambient temps and then also after 30 minutes in electric warming blankets.  That's when I started to realize that our slicks were way old.  They never really turned on.

DeadSkunk  (Warren)
10/7/24 1:17 p.m.

In reply to Andy Hollis :

These would be for my Challenge car, so they would need to "turn on". I ran a Miata on some SM7 take-offs (not old though) a few years ago, and the lot in Gainesville is so abrasive that we were getting them too hot in short order. These Avons are cheap, but they might be bricks that would never heat up.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
IB9si6Uf4DjwOsa9u0wPsRFrReT5GecPyXta4QBFDNeq3dbTmGcbL4SGbFt0A9vl