1 2
MattO
MattO New Reader
12/8/18 3:49 p.m.

I am wondering if any of them still exist out there?  I do know Dodge didn't make very many to begin with so I am guessing the survival rate is pretty low.

David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
12/14/18 9:54 a.m.

No answers. Any still out there?

You know, I can't even remember if we had one as a press car. I did have one lined up for a trip to SoCal. The day before leaving, though, I got a call from the Chrysler PR person: That Neon ACR isn't available, so how about a Viper ACR instead? 

Professor_Brap
Professor_Brap GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
12/14/18 9:59 a.m.

I know of quite a few out there, but most are swapped and hacked up anymore, im trying to buy my old one back. 

Daylan C
Daylan C UltraDork
12/14/18 10:02 a.m.

I saw an SRT4 ACR for sale recently on a search around Bowling Green. Guy was asking around $6k for it. Car looked clean but had bolt ons.

lrrs
lrrs HalfDork
12/14/18 10:06 a.m.
Professor_Brap said:

I know of quite a few out there, but most are swapped and hacked up anymore, im trying to buy my old one back. 

I had a first gen. I keep an eye out for it on CL, or another unmolested one. Don't think I will ever see it again. Would have hung onto it if I had dry storage, but I did not want to watch it rot exposed tio the NH elements. I will have the original wheels waiting for its return, or to a good home for when some one wants to restore/return one to stock 

I do occasionally see second gens when searching adhuntr, most have had srt swaps.

David S. Wallens
12/14/18 10:11 a.m.

Yeah, every now and then I'll see an SRT-4 in the wild. I recently saw one wearing (gasp) the stock wheels. Looked to be at OE ride height, too. 

Fueled by Caffeine
Fueled by Caffeine MegaDork
12/14/18 10:15 a.m.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/2002-Dodge-Neon-ACR/254020590598?hash=item3b24ce9c06:g:ySQAAOSwhdlbsn42:rk:20:pf:0&vxp=mtr

This one even has a GRM bumper sticker on the front bumper.. doesn't seem too bad of a deal at $12k with aluminum trailer...

Dave M
Dave M Reader
12/14/18 10:23 a.m.
Fueled by Caffeine said:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/2002-Dodge-Neon-ACR/254020590598?hash=item3b24ce9c06:g:ySQAAOSwhdlbsn42:rk:20:pf:0&vxp=mtr

This one even has a GRM bumper sticker on the front bumper.. doesn't seem too bad of a deal at $12k with aluminum trailer...

That's a steal! Car, trailer, 6 sets of wheels, 3 sets of race tires. Great find.

red_stapler
red_stapler Dork
12/14/18 10:27 a.m.
David S. Wallens said:

You know, I can't even remember if we had one as a press car. I did have one lined up for a trip to SoCal. The day before leaving, though, I got a call from the Chrysler PR person: That Neon ACR isn't available, so how about a Viper ACR instead? 

I seem to recall the magazine having one in a sport compact autocross roundup around 2002.

Streetwiseguy
Streetwiseguy UltimaDork
12/14/18 10:54 a.m.

I've never run into a second gen ACR.  Whats the trick?  R/T engine with better shocks and such?

Vigo
Vigo UltimaDork
12/14/18 11:17 a.m.

I think it is probably easier at this point to find an SRT4 ACR than a regular ACR. 

Duke
Duke MegaDork
12/14/18 11:18 a.m.
Streetwiseguy said:

I've never run into a second gen ACR.  Whats the trick?  R/T engine with better shocks and such?

Basically, yes.

David S. Wallens
12/14/18 11:47 a.m.
red_stapler said:
David S. Wallens said:

I seem to recall the magazine having one in a sport compact autocross roundup around 2002.

You're going to make me see if I was there, right? Maybe I was there. The first-gen ACR we know well--lotta miles and time spent with that one. 

MattO
MattO New Reader
1/1/19 4:55 p.m.
Fueled by Caffeine said:

Run the VIN on that one.  It comes up as a 1998 Neon (ES I believe) so somethings fishy.  I haven't been able to verify if it's really an ACR.  I reached out to the seller but they never got back with me.

MattO
MattO New Reader
1/1/19 4:56 p.m.
red_stapler said:
David S. Wallens said:

Yeah GRM did a write up on the 2nd Gen ACR in May 2002.  Compared it to the Civic Si, Tiburon, Focus SVT, Mazda MP3, Sentra SE-R, VW GTI 1.8T.  The called it "Pocket Rockets-What's the hottest new car under $20K?".  I have that issue thanks to an EBay find..

irish44j
irish44j MegaDork
1/1/19 5:20 p.m.
Vigo said:

I think it is probably easier at this point to find an SRT4 ACR than a regular ACR. 

a minty one near me on CL fo $16k...

bmw88rider
bmw88rider GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
1/1/19 5:31 p.m.

Get an archer brothers built one here. It's at Ben Keatings place in TX. 

https://www.ebay.com/itm/2004-Neon-SRT4-RACE-CAR/303012158202?hash=item468cee9afa:g:ACkAAOSweX5cJ6v3:rk:1:pf:0&vxp=mtr

Ozzy
Ozzy New Reader
1/1/19 5:43 p.m.
bmw88rider said:

Get an archer brothers built one here. It's at Ben Keatings place in TX. 

https://www.ebay.com/itm/2004-Neon-SRT4-RACE-CAR/303012158202?hash=item468cee9afa:g:ACkAAOSweX5cJ6v3:rk:1:pf:0&vxp=mtr

That one has been for sale on EBay for a long time.

Ozzy
Ozzy New Reader
1/1/19 5:45 p.m.
irish44j said:
Vigo said:

I assume that's a SRT4 for $16k & not a 2nd gen ACR?

Professor_Brap
1/1/19 9:32 p.m.

I acquired another 2g ACR this weekend id let go once its fixed. 

spacecadet
spacecadet GRM+ Memberand Reader
1/2/19 10:30 a.m.
David S. Wallens said:

Yeah, every now and then I'll see an SRT-4 in the wild. I recently saw one wearing (gasp) the stock wheels. Looked to be at OE ride height, too. 

Stock Wheels aren't on it. But one Local Autocrossers in North Texas stores this in his Garage for another local guy who ran out of space. Cleanest SRT-4 I've ever seen. Sitting on Koni's and wheels still in G Street Autox prep. 

Duke
Duke MegaDork
1/2/19 10:38 a.m.
Ozzy said:
irish44j said:
Vigo said:

I assume that's a SRT4 for $16k & not a 2nd gen ACR?

The second-gen ACR originally came in naturally aspirated form, and was basically a decontented second-gen R/T with fancy adjustable struts.  After the supernaturally-aspirated SRT-4 was introduced, there was an ACR version of that as well.

Ozzy
Ozzy New Reader
1/4/19 9:36 a.m.

In reply to Professor_Brap :

You found an ACR?  What did you get?

Professor_Brap
1/4/19 10:24 a.m.

I have owned quite a few 2nd gen ACRs, I just purchased a white, 01, no option car. Motor is "blown", but that wont take long to fix. 

Ozzy
Ozzy New Reader
1/4/19 11:45 a.m.

In reply to Professor_Brap :

Where'd you find that at?  There was one of those for sale a few years ago in the Indy area.  It had fairly low miles too, though some rust on the rear wheel wells.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
ow10mwga5zj0kq2hRcov6hbFsm1knnQSufMMVZOb44WI1050NdZZOPcCnEnLajYz