Hungary Bill
Hungary Bill GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
11/11/12 7:34 a.m.

A Hungarian friend brought by a Jeep Wrangler with a 4.0l swapped in (at least I think it's a swap... the air filter box says 2.5l)

Anyhoo: Where is the coolant temp sensor on these bad boys? the wire has been cut and I'm having a bit of trouble finding where it goes...

Also the oil pressure gauge is pegged. Could this mean it's not connected to where IT needs to go either?

Good times.

DrBoost
DrBoost PowerDork
11/11/12 7:45 a.m.

Depending on the year, the coolant temp sensor is more than likely on the t-stat housing. The oil pressure pegged is very common. The pressure sending unit sits very close to the oil filter and gets broken when changing the filter.

Carro Atrezzi
Carro Atrezzi GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
11/11/12 8:14 a.m.

but I thought the failure mode for a broken oil pressure sending unit was "0" instead of pegged. At least it is on mine. '98 XJ

Hungary Bill
11/11/12 8:14 a.m.

awesome! they were both right where you said. Looks like the sending unit is giving me a reason to hit the junk yards when I get to the states (I mean to justify the trip to the wife... I never need a "reason" to hit a junk yard)

When he dropped the jeep off at my house he must have thanked me a hundred times. He said he couldn't find a mechanic in town who understood "american electronics".... Very interesting.

DrBoost
DrBoost PowerDork
11/11/12 8:22 a.m.
Carro Atrezzi wrote: but I thought the failure mode for a broken oil pressure sending unit was "0" instead of pegged. At least it is on mine. '98 XJ

When they break, it's because someone using an oil filter wrench didn't see it. They get broken, but that could be an open or a short. Over the years at the (Jeep) dealer, I've never had an issue with the oil pressure that was anything other than an oil pump (low) or a sending unit.

Bill, if you need any other help, post or shoot me a PM.

Hungary Bill
11/11/12 10:16 a.m.

Will do man. Thanks.

He brought the Jeep over because the idle was up and down. I cleaned the IAC and that seemed to solve it. When he dropped it off though, he told me about a short that was draining his battery over night (his radio), his oil pressure gauge, his temperature gauge not working, and I found out that his front brakes had no fluid in the master cylinder.

I couldn't bleed the front brakes though because the bleeder was seized to the caliper I'll probably get the Jeep again though after my next trip to the states. I'll give the sending unit and the temp gauge a "go" then. (He's on his own with those brakes, no way am I extracting a bleeder)

stanger_missle
stanger_missle GRM+ Memberand Reader
11/11/12 10:30 a.m.

There are 2 temp sensors on the 4.0L. One is located in the thermostat housing and one is near the rear of the head, on the right side (if you are looking from the front of the vehicle). The front one is for the ECT input for the computer and the rear one is the sender for the temp guage. There are 2 types of senders - one for an idiot light type and one for an actual temp guage. My guess is if the engine was swapped or the guages were swapped, it has the idiot light type sender was not swapped out. The oil pressure sender is exactly the same. Its located right by the filter.

Gauge swap info

This article explains issue and has part number listed. It's toward the bottom of the page.

Hungary Bill
11/11/12 12:57 p.m.

Awesome! I saw the one on the thermostat and it looked honkey-dorey (has wires running to and from it) but I did not see the one at the back of the head... I'll give her another gander next time I'm in there. I think the wire just needs to be hooked up is all.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
1jQ1HcEcAYKfUQoSwMSbFL2zQAcJ4dw2ASTCReEoHtUObBXC0alY5Mwy2Tv1InFs