sjd
sjd New Reader
9/26/14 8:13 a.m.

I love almost everything about the 818 except for the Subaru engine. I've driven WRX's and STI's and enjoyed them to some degree but many of the tracked Subarus I have seen like to blow up at some point. Even when built. Its seems its a matter of when, not if.

I've done some searching around but haven't seen too much on alternative engines for the 818. I assume since it is a pretty new car.

Every time I read something on the 818 I want an 818R more and more. I just wish they'd built it with a Honda K-series.

Any one else having similar thoughts?

Swank Force One
Swank Force One MegaDork
9/26/14 8:16 a.m.

You're not the only one. I'm not in the market, but the donor choice cements that i'll never bother thinking about buying one, either.

GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
9/26/14 9:04 a.m.

I like the mid-longitudinal layout but not the Subaru boxer so much. If you're not dead set on swapping something else in, you can choose an engine model that will last with careful research.

DaveEstey
DaveEstey UberDork
9/26/14 9:09 a.m.

adapter plate and a rotary.

singleslammer
singleslammer SuperDork
9/26/14 9:29 a.m.

In reply to DaveEstey:

Because those are the epidemy of reliability. Great for a track only car thought, I guess.

GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
9/26/14 9:30 a.m.

The Toyobaru's FA20 seems to be pretty reliable, that would bolt right in wouldn't it?

Cactus
Cactus New Reader
9/26/14 9:41 a.m.
DaveEstey wrote: adapter plate and a rotary.

Yes.

I've never been big on Subarus. Seems like everybody I know with one (which is a good few) has had to rebuild an engine or two (or more). I've never had to rebuild a BMW straight six. Done partials by choice, but I've never been forced to.

icaneat50eggs
icaneat50eggs HalfDork
9/26/14 10:49 a.m.

How much power do you want?

I would never rebuild a nuked subi because a new one is way to cheap to make that a logical choice. If you are good with 240-280 hp then why consider it?

D2W
D2W New Reader
9/26/14 5:31 p.m.

There is a guy on thefactoryfiveforum.com that has a build thread trying to put a vr6 engine and tranny from a corrado in it. The frame rails aren't wide enough to accept the transverse setup so I would guess that rules out most/all transverse setups without major fabrication work.

kanaric
kanaric Dork
9/26/14 5:37 p.m.

Well.....

You can get the JDM V7 STI engine that has all forged internals and it's known to be completely solid.

Also the 2.0l WRX engines do not crater nearly as much.

The issue is two fold. One that the American engines all have cast pistons that cna be easily destroyed by bad fuel or tune, the other is that the oiling is an issue and can be resolved a few different ways. The thing with the oiling issue, that the car can lose oil pressure in high G sweeping turns, is a problem on ALMOST ANY CAR. RB20-26 have this issue, 2ZZ engines, 350/370z, WRX, V6 Lotus/Toyotas, etc. And those are the cars I specifically looked up this issue in. I'm sure if I looked at any street car they would have the same issue.

So get a 2.0l WRX engine or a V7 or earlier JDM STI engine and you will be fine. With the JDM engine you will be more than fine because they are extremely stout.

If you want you could just build the engine with forged pistons and you would be fine as well.

I think the oiling issue is resolved by baffling the sump. I was seriously looking into this when I had a subaru. It's the same solution on a RB20-26 and 2ZZ.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
SivfrPvqflpMRUOJwSZPRKrW3HJd98T0PADJNS7LMm6XdHCdL9pEfLlCDSRweT7l