Phoenix864
Phoenix864 New Reader
10/14/24 10:46 p.m.

I've been looking into picking up a sporty 2 seater as a daily driver and casual autocross and track car and have pretty much narrowed it down to some sort of Cayman or 911 due to their mix of performance, (relative) practicality, and build quality. However I'm having a tough time nailing down a specific car within the Cayman/911 lineup and would appreciate some advice. Current budget is floating around $60-70k, which could get me a 997.2, 991.1, 991.2 (just maybe on a specific listing that's popped up) all in C2S or C4S form, or a 982 GTS. I've generally had a tough time getting test drives, but have had a chance to get a short spin in a 991.1 and a 982.

On the short street route I was able to do, the 991.1 edged out the 982 in terms of sound and cruising feel. It felt extremely special across the board and the whir of the NA flat 6 was great. However, I definitely noticed the more go-cart feel of the 982, and am wondering if I'll find the car more fun than the 991 when pushing it. The 2.5 turbo doesn't have the same presence as the NA 6, but I found it very lively, with it constantly burbling and popping when letting off the accelerator. As I see it now:

• 982: I've got a 2019 982 GTS manual currently lined up for $61k w/ 40k miles (87k MSRP). Fairly modern platform, very lively and responsive. Seems to be the most 'sports car' out of the bunch, almost like a more refined 997.2. F/R parking sensors and backup camera are big nice-to-haves for daily use. Attainable in a manual. Downsides - not a 911 from a depreciation perspective (though not sure how things are going to go with the switch to the EV Cayman). Worse 'value' compared to the 991s (30% less than MSRP vs ~50% for a 991).
  • 991.1: I've had a couple of nice examples float by me for ~$60k, so I'm aiming around there based on mileage and options. Fantastic engine, feels super special just driving around. Gets 911 status for depreciation. However less of a pure sports car/more of a GT car vs the Cayman? Parking sensors are uncommon, backup camera seems nonexistent.
  • 991.2: Possibly have a 2017 991.2 C4S w/ 60k miles available for ~$70k ($147k MSRP). Improved steering over the 991.1, but looses the NA engine. Example I'm looking at is super well equipped with rear wheel steering, SPASM, all the goodies - wondering if that closes the gap and makes it worth $10k more than the 982.
  • 997.2: Heard lots of great things about it - more analog experience, great hydraulic steering, more of a sports car vs the 991. Value seems worse than the 982, but what I've heard about the driving experience still has me considering it.

Would much appreciate any advice/thoughts that could push me one way or another.

Gearheadotaku (Forum Supporter)
Gearheadotaku (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
10/14/24 11:00 p.m.

997.2 is a personal fave for me. Better engine than the earlier cars, but feels more engaging than the 991.  Downside is low production numbers due to the economy being in recession at the time. 

dps214
dps214 SuperDork
10/14/24 11:37 p.m.

Why not a 981 GTS? It's the good chassis combined with a good engine, best of both worlds. Might come in a bit under budget too.

I can't quite tell from your post but if the 991 you drove was the c4s, you should probably drive a 2wd car. If you're favoring sports car over a grand tourer then you should really only be looking at rwd models.

I really just can't get excited about the four cylinder Caymans but everyone has their own preferences and tolerances. The market is unpredictable enough that imo trying to make a purchase based on value is a bad plan unless you know you're going to be selling in a known time period. Otherwise, buy the car you want, try to get a decent deal on it, and there's not much point in worrying beyond that.

Phoenix864
Phoenix864 New Reader
10/15/24 12:53 a.m.

In reply to dps214 :

Yep good point about the 981. I guess it hasn't excited me as much as the 982 and 911s for some reason, plus from what I've seen prices for 981 GTS are pretty similar to 982 GTS 2.5 (probably due to the engine). I did have someone offer me a 40k mile PDK 981 GTS for ~$50k which I thought was quite good, but the seller's general demeanor and the huge wing they slapped on the back gave me pause.

The 991.1 I drove was a C4S (targa specifically). I'm definitely strongly leaning 2wd, but I've heard enough varied opinions on the C4S that I've been including them in the search. Would you advise even dropping the 991.2 C4S with rear wheel steering?

dps214
dps214 SuperDork
10/15/24 9:23 a.m.

If you want a sports car feel, yes. You want rwd and no rear steer if possible.

981gts prices are similar to 718gts prices despite being older...that's a good indicator that it's a better car. The GTS does seem to have a bit of an odd price premium, you could probably search out a well optioned 981S and get everything a GTS has except the alcantara interior and have money left over to do some upgrades.

Olemiss540
Olemiss540 Dork
10/15/24 12:59 p.m.

I'm weird but would be hunting 996TT's in that budget range. Special feeling, gorgeous looks, best engine of the options you are looking at, best value prop from a appreciation standpoint, thrust, hydraulic steering, etc etc. 

Downside being interior/gadgets but I'm not concerned about that personally. 

nderwater
nderwater MegaDork
10/15/24 4:34 p.m.

Do you prefer a car that feels precise and controlled at the limit (Cayman) or a car that's more frisky and tail happy (911)?  As a Boxster owner I actually prefer the 911, but I've been priced out of that market.

I've driven the cars suggested in the thread and I've done a similar mental exercise many, many times.  Personally, I keep coming back to the 991 GTS, but your mileage may vary.

P.S. -- Porsche Experience Centers are fantastic for enthusiasts to visit. Renting a seat with an instructor could help you decide which car you prefer if you are able to travel to Atlanta or Los Angeles before your make your purchase.

RacerBoy75
RacerBoy75 Reader
10/15/24 8:44 p.m.

I'm a big fan of Caymans (I have a 987.2 S). If you are going to autocross, the Cayman really is a better car - my local PCA autocrosses have way more Caymans at them than 911s. It comes down to Caymans handle better, 911s have more power. The Cayman isn't exactly slow, so for normal street driving the power difference doesn't really matter. But lots of people think that a 911 is a "real" Porsche which I find ridiculous.

Like the others have said, consider a 981 S or GTS (same engine). The flat six is just as special in the Cayman as the 911.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
3bjYfU8oK5guaTu9RznyoaM760pHIuHivi97SdbdxGjmPDBNJ5oxM49Rw6BDuz3b