1 2
trucke
trucke SuperDork
8/11/17 7:26 a.m.
T.J.
T.J. MegaDork
8/11/17 7:41 a.m.

I think I can just about predict how this thread will play out.

Ian F
Ian F MegaDork
8/11/17 7:46 a.m.

Retro-grouch me says, "Dagnabit - NASCARs are 2-door mid-sized RWD sedans! Blasphemy!"

Modern me says, "Eh... whatever... at least it actually looks a bit like the production car..."

I suppose in most ways, the new Camaro of today is essentially the Chevelle of the 60's.

mazdeuce
mazdeuce MegaDork
8/11/17 7:54 a.m.

I'm ok with NASCAR turning into Camaro/Mustang/Challenger. Racing those silouhettes against each other is more relevant than whatever they're doing now. At least those three are V8 rwd cars.

Matt B
Matt B SuperDork
8/11/17 7:55 a.m.

Do we really care what silhouette they drape over those things? Is there any connection beyond the fascia? (I haven't been keeping track)

carguy123
carguy123 UltimaDork
8/11/17 8:44 a.m.

Build it and they will come.

Pete Gossett
Pete Gossett GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
8/11/17 8:52 a.m.

If the Camaro actually looked like that I'd like it much better than I do now.

z31maniac
z31maniac MegaDork
8/11/17 9:07 a.m.

^So a 90s Monte Carlo with a large grill?

Tony Sestito
Tony Sestito PowerDork
8/11/17 9:08 a.m.

10/10, would daily drive.

APEowner
APEowner GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
8/11/17 9:11 a.m.

I don't really care what the bodies look like but that is a good looking race car. I'm fine with the silhouette bodies. While I do miss the cool looking cars that they used to run I hated the politics, crying and disparity between brands that there used to be. There's still a little bit of that. It seems the Toyotas have a bit of an edge at the moment but that may just be that the Gibbs organization is doing a better job than everyone else. I think it's still better than it used to be when most of the racing was done in the board rooms.

BTW, the visibility out of a cup car is worse than a production Camaro.

Pete Gossett
Pete Gossett GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
8/11/17 9:48 a.m.
z31maniac wrote: ^So a 90s Monte Carlo with a large grill?

Plus an LS and RWD, yes.

Edit: I commented somewhere else the other day that it seems nearly 1/2 the new style Camaros I see are on 20" or larger wheels, most of the time painted body-color. Then it occurred to me that the car's proportions are so cartoonish that the blingy wheels really do make it look like a life-size Hotwheels.

Don't take that the wrong way - I don't hate the cars, I'm just not a big fan of the pillbox styling.

trucke
trucke SuperDork
8/11/17 9:54 a.m.
APEowner wrote: BTW, the visibility out of a cup car is worse than a production Camaro.

True, the windows being taller than a production car are required for ingress/egress. This just makes it seem like you could see out of it better.

dherr
dherr GRM+ Memberand Reader
8/11/17 10:03 a.m.

In reply to carguy123:

I like how the new Camaro looks, I just don't like the fact you can only see forward when driving one. Thank God it is incredibly fast, as when you can't see behind you, you can always just use the gas pedal to ensure that you can move into the right lane and not get hit!

ncjay
ncjay SuperDork
8/11/17 10:06 a.m.

The new Camaro for the Trans Am Series. Which one would you rather drive?

GTXVette
GTXVette Dork
8/11/17 10:06 a.m.

Way back when...... we used a Lumina body in the short track Late model, they had Mitch sitting SO LOW he really couldn't see straight to the left, the tracks we ran were so steep he looked out the top left corner of the windshield, Not like that was any better.

Snrub
Snrub Reader
8/11/17 12:42 p.m.
Pete Gossett wrote: it seems nearly 1/2 the new style Camaros I see are on 20" or larger wheels, most of the time painted body-color.

The stock wheels on the 2016+ SS are 20". The lesser models have multiple packages (eg. RS) that upgrade to 20". The overall tire diameter is 27.6-27.7". They are huge. Body colored I'm not so sure about, but a large portion of them are black.

gearheadmb
gearheadmb Dork
8/11/17 1:17 p.m.
ncjay wrote: The new Camaro for the Trans Am Series. Which one would you rather drive?

Oh my. Yes indeed.

jimbbski
jimbbski Dork
8/13/17 8:37 a.m.

I'm going to assume that on both bodies they made the door window opening large enough for the driver to fit through with a helmet on. You can't do that on a stock Camaro. A normal helmet will not fit through the window opening. The damn things a mailslot!

Trackmouse
Trackmouse SuperDork
8/13/17 9:17 a.m.

Being an ass man I'll have to ask for an ass shot. What's dat booty like?

Edit: I spec'd dat booty...

racerfink
racerfink UltraDork
8/13/17 9:39 p.m.

FWIW, Randy Pobst wants to get a 1SS 1LE for his own garage, and has no problem with the visibility.

Trackmouse
Trackmouse SuperDork
8/13/17 11:52 p.m.

In reply to racerfink:

That's unfair, because Randy pobst has X-ray vision.

JeffHarbert
JeffHarbert GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
8/14/17 5:52 a.m.

They only need to look to the left anyway.

Jaynen
Jaynen SuperDork
8/14/17 5:28 p.m.
racerfink wrote: FWIW, Randy Pobst wants to get a 1SS 1LE for his own garage, and has no problem with the visibility.

The 1SS 1LE is a ridiculously amazingly priced performance machine. I agree the visibility sucks but there are ways around most of the issues with that

BrokenYugo
BrokenYugo MegaDork
8/14/17 6:36 p.m.
Ian F wrote: Retro-grouch me says, "Dagnabit - NASCARs are 2-door mid-sized RWD sedans! Blasphemy!" Modern me says, "Eh... whatever... at least it actually looks a bit like the production car..." I suppose in most ways, the new Camaro of today is essentially the Chevelle of the 60's.

More or less,

1970 Chevelle SS396 Sport Coupe (manual), wheelbase 112", length 197.2, width 75.4, height 52.8, curb weight 3686 lbs.

2016 Camaro V8 manual, wheelbase 110.7", length 188.3, width 74.7, height 53.1, curb weight 3685 lbs

ncjay
ncjay SuperDork
8/14/17 6:47 p.m.

3700 lb. Camaro. Cripes!!

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
xynXj9pU2KPKAf485VBhkvHZk6aIVfrCXaykwsgwDDAuyHYJbzVlQvrER0QwbmGD