dean1484
dean1484 GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
6/23/14 12:57 p.m.

Stephen and I went to The Great American Race on Saturday to greet the cars at the end of there first day up in Lowell. For those that don't know it is a "race" that starts in Maine and ends in Florida. Each day they drive a prescribed rout and there is a target time for the drive. You are scored by how close you get to the prescribed time. Anyway it was a great time to see all the cars. All the cars are pre 1972 with many from the very early 1900's.

Even more special was we got to meet Mr. Wayne Carini. In the TV show he seems like a nice Guy and in person he is even nicer. In a packed street with thousands of people wanting his attention he stopped everything and gave my 9 year old son Stephen his undivided attention. Mr. Carini is a special person and deserves to be recognized for this. It was an honor to have met him all be it very briefly. But him taking the time with Stephen is something that will probably stay with Stephen for a life time. A personal thanks to Mr. Carini. You mad a 9 year old boys summer!!!!! I can not thank you enough.

dj06482
dj06482 GRM+ Memberand Dork
6/23/14 1:07 p.m.

Awesome! I grew up ten minutes away from F40 Motorsports (Wayne's shop). I always love seeing what's parked out front

DaveEstey
DaveEstey UberDork
6/23/14 1:23 p.m.

Well that explains all the stickered up antiques doing 50mph on the highway yesterday.

Ian F
Ian F UltimaDork
6/23/14 1:28 p.m.

I'm debating on leaving work early, getting the Mini and meeting them at tonight's end spot in Valley Forge PA... But PATP rush hour traffic in a Mini doesn't sound like fun...

bravenrace
bravenrace MegaDork
6/23/14 1:47 p.m.

That's really cool.

chrispy
chrispy Reader
6/23/14 2:00 p.m.

I happened to be in downtown Asheville when the Great American Race came though several years ago. It was really cool to see all of these old cars stickered up and on the road. Before that I'd only seen this age of car in museums or parades.

spitfirebill
spitfirebill PowerDork
6/23/14 2:20 p.m.

I was driving around BFE (Hurricane) West Virgina one day, when all of a sudden I kept seeing classic cars getting off the interstate, turning and driving into the mountians. Of all places. I realized it was the One Lap of America tour. I was pretty stoked.

Joe Gearin
Joe Gearin Associate Publisher
6/23/14 2:45 p.m.

I've been lucky enough to meet Wayne several times, at various events. He's an exceptionally nice guy. I think they add a bit of "edginess" to his character on T.V. In person, he's much nicer than he seems on the show. A true class act.

nicksta43
nicksta43 UltraDork
6/23/14 2:54 p.m.

Cool story. He certainly seems like a guy who has true passion for cars and loves what he does for a living. Unlike the majority of other TV car show personalities.

dean1484
dean1484 GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
6/23/14 3:26 p.m.

I have 100+ photos that I have to post. I was debating between the CMS and GRM forum. I first have to get them uploaded to my site.

If anyone sees the 80 car 1940 ford convertible. I helped get that car ready for the event. It belongs to my friends father. Stop in and say hi to Mr. Gordon. He is a great guy.

Getting back to MR Carini. He seems like a great down to earth guy. Again He pretty much skipped by me and paid attention to my son. Stephen was so excited when we saw him as at the finish line greeting the cars. Stephen kept saying "I can not believe it is Wayne Carini" Stephen and I have watched many episodes of CCC so he knows exactly who he is. Wayne has rock star status with Stephen and meeting him was just fantastic. Again something that he will remember for a long long time.

bmw88rider
bmw88rider GRM+ Memberand Reader
6/23/14 6:31 p.m.

Very Cool. I love it when the car guys do that for the kids. Hopefully that make an enduring memory in your son's eyes and spark a long term love of cars.

I remember last year at the ALMS race at COTA, the corvette team were taking a ton of the kids in the line and letting them sit in the cars and shaking all of the hands of the kids and close up photos.

It left a strong impression of the corvette team and cemented them in my mind as a real class act.

Wally
Wally GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
6/23/14 7:31 p.m.

We went to see them on Sunday here in Poughkeepsie. We had a great time and my wife has been looking at old cars in case we run into some money and can try it. It looks like an event she can handle. She has sent me links to three Triumphs on Craigslist. I found a 38 Autocar because I need to make life more difficult than it already is. Here are our pictures, I should have it set to see without having a Facebook account, but they will steal a small piece of your soul just for viewing. https://www.facebook.com/wally.m.9/media_set?set=a.10154272295645500.1073741853.898405499&type=1

Lancer007
Lancer007 HalfDork
6/23/14 9:34 p.m.

That's awesome, I'm really glad to hear that he is as good a guy as he seems to be on his show. All to often its the opposite unfortunately. Glad the little man had fun, I'm glad the next generation of gearheads are on the right path

ChrisR
ChrisR New Reader
6/23/14 9:50 p.m.

Wonderful moment for your son! I'll say this much, Wayne's show is one of the few car shows worth watching because he's not one of those loudmouth, tattooed, attention whore douchbags.

gamby
gamby UltimaDork
6/24/14 10:50 a.m.

Good on Carini for (hopefully) imprinting on a future car enthusiast.

I've met him a couple of times and he's pretty personable.

octavious
octavious Reader
6/25/14 8:49 a.m.

Good to know about Carini.

Here is a link to all the info about the race. http://www.greatrace.com/

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
C8FwIvzothaaWp12pe5PRlyFIxEbpo1xyaKsNX6lxHyk4MYmysr6EXJbZPtQs6yk